Reloading for the AR10

Jlamb,

Minor correction here, before you go looking for the book; the author is Glen Zediker. Sounds like you'll want "Handloading for Competition" Glen's tome on reloading matchg ammo, specifically for semi autos. Should be able to get it through Sinclair's and it is a "must read" for someone dabbling in gas guns.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin is right. Zediker. Guess I should've trekked to my bookshelf and verified the spelling... oh well.

But, there is all you could want on handloading in the Competitive AR volumes. Read them first and learn what factors combine to make the AR-10 work best. The handload is not the most critical aspect for AR-10 accuracy. Sierra advises 42 grains of RL15 as an accuracy load for the .308win with 168gr matchking. Probably start .5gr light and look for ejector and extractor marks on your cases. Might evaluate your recoil spring and buffer as well. The diameter of your barrels gas port can also be influential. All these factors come into play.

One thing does suck about Glen Z's writing is his homeboy Jerry Clower euphemisms. Glen lives in MS and likes to be sure you know it. Being your own publisher must have merits, but next book Glen, just give us some relief!

There is a whole lot more involved with the AR-10 than the 15 as far as getting precision results. I have built several match quality Armalite AR-10 uppers. Most critical aspect of the upper is short oal headspace if you're going to shoot factory ammunition. Need to also know what ammunition the manufacturer endorses. In a 10T it will be 168gr BTHP match ammo. If so, that is the bullet you want to use, unless you have a smith you have great confidence in and trust to re-throat your chamber for 175, 180/185 grain bullets.

Not many semi-auto guys on this board. Not many would claim the .308 as a longrange rifle. Not that you can't shoot it to 1000yds, but there are better choices. Might want to look for load info with the M1a Service Rifle shooters as a starting point. Sierra used to have a section on semi-auto match rifle loads; not in the newest manual. Another thing to be aware of is that you must choose a primer that will withstand the firing pin indent and be aware of slam-fire potential... Anyway, a well built 10 is capable of great precision, until you understand the overall picture, you won't get all you could be getting.

I am new to the AR - 15 and 10 type of rifle. My new DPMS Owner's book states if RELOADED ammo is used, the warranty is void. Comments please on this statement.

My AR10 manual says the same thing. I think it's just to keep them out of hot water if somebody doesn't reload in spec. I've seen some crazy loads out there !

Thanks for the reply, I figured as much but wanted some imput. I have much reloading data, and I have reloaded for over 35 years. Never super HOT, always for accuracy.

Start low and work up. The accuracy load that I have found is 44.5 grns of Varget with the 150 gr SMK. I've also found the 150 gr Sierra Gameking to work well with load. Load to magazine length (2.800"), you should be good to go.

I've tried 168gr, 175gr, and 180gr bullets and haven't found a load that works.

I've tried RL15 (worked ok) and H4895 (worked great).

Thanks again Jlamb, I will give your loads a try. I was thinking of the 150 gr bullet
with about 44 grains of Varget. Right On !

Anyone have any loads for AR 10 in .308 using Accurate 2495? The Accurate websites loads seem to err big time on the side of caution. I see IMR 4895 loaded hotter in other manuals. From my research A2495 is supposed to duplicate IMR 4895. I do not want to create an over pressure situation though.

gentlemen(used loosely), i have an AR10 DPMS(dadgum PMS) anyway. i thoght my 25-06 was picky. my dpms is is frigid. it likes varget,H380 4350 but the main y to the mix is primers. i am using 3 primers that cross pwoder charges of different wt charge in diff. powders. H380 seems to be nasty unless you use mag primers. my old lyman book(early 71) says mag primers over 150s. i have found that to be true except with varget. it has taken 73 combos to get my dpms to 1?2 moa. good shooting (if you can find the components)!!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.