AR10 Hand Loading Experience

DoneNOut

I built an Aero M5 308 with an adjustable gas black what allows bleed off. When the cases eject to the 3-4 O'clock position one is all good. So I tried the following: (168 Amax, PPU cases, WLR primer, SB RCBS sizer die)

H4895 ran great excellent function and accuracy. Can't find in stock anywhere.
IMR 4064, Varget, AA2520, RL15, can't get over 3" groups and multiple jams.
So I am thinking H4895 or faster burning like IMR 3031 or IMR 4166.

Anybody else experience gas gun hand loading issues?

It is quite common that different rifles will shoot a particular load better than another. Don't get me started on gas gun tuning. After trying nearly every normally viable powder with 185g Berger Juggernaut in my AR-10 with nothing shooting netter than 3" at 100 I started looking outside of the normal burn rate envelop. I ended up with Norma URP. Shoots ~1" with an SD of 11. Same load in my Mauser 308 patterns slightly better than my shotgun. Once you've been through the usual stuff it comes to Trial and error, or part it out.

varget works well in mine with 175gr SMK's. 43.5gr, fed215 (its all I had) hornady brass. .75moa. I had to all but shut off my gas block.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.