LoadBase 3.0 PPC Report

jmason

I have used all 3 mainstream PPC versions of ballistic software now. I can easily say that LB3 is the most robust so far. The other versions of software required manipulation to get the predicted drops to line up with real world results. They seemed accurate after the initial manipulation, but they offered nothing (reasonable) in the way of obtaining the correct data to begin with. They also didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I always felt uncertain because I had to manipulate something and couldn't account for it by calculation. The analyzer module in LB3 helps you obtain all the data you need to make accurate predictions. Some of these items include corrected bc for drag function, stability factor, and drag coefficient. All of these items (plus more) are needed to accurately predict your drop, and drifts.
Well I spent yesterday and today collecting the data I needed for LB3. You don't have to guess what you need either the software asks for it and the manual explains how to get it. When I tested the data this morning I didn't include any corrections for drift but recorded all the data to compare the results later. I had 6 rounds and had saved all needed sight in info from yesterday in the software. I input my conditions, direction of fire, wind speed, and latitude(info for bullet spin drift was collected prior and doesn't need to be gathered again. I can choose to use it or not). Remember I didn't use any drift correction. I put a 2" sticker on a target at 480 yards and a 3" sticker on a target at 605 yards, and drew a level line through the center as well as a plumb line on both targets. Remember also that these are my first results after data collection.
scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

I have to be honest I didn't understand the effect of some of the info LB was asking for until I read Bryan Litz's book (Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting), but it really helped pull things together. Thanks Bryan for adding another "armchair expert" to the world. I am pretty impressed with LB3 giving me spot on calcs one the first run through. None of the others did this. I always had to go back and fudge something to get it right.

After I collected the targets and went home at compared all the drift info LB3 gave me to where the bullet impacts were. Had I used that info too, all those holes would have been in the orange stickers. Including spin and Coriolis would have had a minor effect on the impacts too. A lot of people choose to ignore them but they are there. Now, I know I'm not a perfect shot (or even a good one for that matter) and there's some dispersion in there I could never account for but those are positive results no matter how you cut it! The software is well worth the $$ and time involved to get it right. Finally, No fudging to make the software work with the real world!!:) Now the only thing I can blame for a miss is me. Crap there go my excuses!!:D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience, having used all three brands of ballistic software. I've been really happy with LB3 also. But I have never used the other two, so it was good to see and read your thread/post.

Thanks P! It's not that the other programs aren't useful either. LB3 just brings a more easily used precision, and makes info obtainable logically. I hope others find this useful. I could easily go on, but I wanted to get my general thoughts down and try to keep it short enough that people would read.

I have been looking at differant software but I was not sure witch one would be the best. I think you have answered that for me now. Thanks for the post:D

jmason,

I'm very glad that you are getting the benefits. Thanks for sharing your results.
I just wish that other, long range shooters, would be willing to give LB3 a try.
I know the would love it as well.

Enjoy it!!!

jmason,

I'm very glad that you are getting the benefits. Thanks for sharing your results.
I just wish that other, long range shooters, would be willing to give LB3 a try.
I know the would love it as well.

Enjoy it!!!

You're right, they would. I think there's going to be a shift away from what's most popular now as people get more serious about what they are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.