.308 Range report

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniperjwt, Jul 20, 2010.

1. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

Well yesterday i took out my new 308. After failing to get the 208 A Max to shoot well out of it i loaded some up with the 175 SMK. The wind was not a factor as it was blowing in the direction i was shooting 10-15mph. It was very very hot though. Here is the two groups that looked promising. These groups are at 100yds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well i went back out this morning and set up at 225 yards and fired off some more rounds to see how they did at a little farther range. Well here is the results. The first three shots were the bottom ones although i was aiming at the top dot (did this to see how much it would drop at 225). The top three are after waiting on the barrel to cool down and dialing up to what i thought would be right on for 225. It seems i need another click or two to be dead on. Bottom group is 1.1inch and top is .765

[​IMG]

After letting the barrel cool down i fired two more at the top dot and here is the outcome of that.

[​IMG]

Here is where i was shooting. I shoot out of the back of my truck because the i shoot on a local farmers land and cant put up a bench and the grass is too tall to lay on the ground. It makes it interesting on a windy day:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

Great shooting out of the back of your truck ! There's no telling what you could do if he would let you bring along a portable shooting bench of some sort.

Keep at itgun)

BigBuck

3. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Great shooting irregardless of hampering conditions.

4. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

Nice shooting. Care to share some details on the rifle? I apologize in advance if you covered that in a previous thread.

5. sniperjwt

Its a Remington 700 VLS. Nothing done to it. I will try to post a pic of it later today.

6. topbrass

topbrass Well-Known Member

What powder? RL-17?

7. sniperjwt

Yes RL 17, the speeds of the three shots were 2831, 2832, 2842

8. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Looks like your getting a pretty reasonable velocity spread.

9. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

Sniperjwt our set ups look identical, shootings the 175s out of the back of a truck over a field. Good shooting if I ever get some more time ill learn how to post some pics.

10. sniperjwt

here is the picture that i promised
    [​IMG]

11. Jinx-)

Jinx-) Well-Known Member

How many grains of RE-17 did you use, I'm developing load for mine using 175 gr SMK so far I'm on 47 gr

12. sniperjwt

50.5 is what shot in the .3?? group for me. Not seeing any pressure signs in my gun.

13. Jinx-)

Jinx-) Well-Known Member

Thanks! Didn't know I can load that much :-D

14. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

sniperjwt, thanks for posting your pic, nice looking rig.