Limiting my cartridges

I honestly over looked you saying 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are on the way. Your list above looks good. I'd ditch the 6.5 Creed and hang onto the 243. 6.5 Grendel doesnt have much use fore me either but to each their own.

Yes, nothing wrong with the 243. I've got two 6.5 Grendel's and four 6.5 Creedmoor rifles so that's why I'm leaning that way.

I have a slick little rifle called a maple ridge renegade with a 12 1/2 inch barrel. It's a straight pull and over 26 inches so it's nonrestricted here in Canada and you can hunt with it. It uses AR parts and furniture so I think that may be the first rifle my boys hunt with due to the adjustable length of pull, short length, and light weight - I think it's 6 lbs something all in? I've got an upper in 223 and 6.5 Grendel that I can swap back-and-forth.

They really like it, my sig Cross, and my Tikka Compact. The length of pull doesn't adjust as short on the Sig cross or the Tikka though.

Attachments

• F8B34F7C-9086-408E-B572-53E428C4A0F4.jpeg
    F8B34F7C-9086-408E-B572-53E428C4A0F4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • C8565ACF-9826-464C-AC00-E1C661623B2F.jpeg
    C8565ACF-9826-464C-AC00-E1C661623B2F.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Alright, you convinced me. I'm going to get into reloading (**** near ordered some equipment last night). Sound off on your recommended equipment etc in this thread in the reloading section. All opinions and experience welcome (please share if you are also a novice reloader). I'm in Alberta Canada so many things are more expensive and less available for reloading here. Thread 'First reloader setup to last'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/first-reloader-setup-to-last.330410/

While it'd be nice to save some money, that's not my primary motivation. I have a job where I can literally work as much as I can survive. However, having access to quality ammo using the projectiles I want, that shoot well in my rifles, is my primary motivation. Hoping to come up with one primary load for each cartridge.

Have decided that 22 or, 6.5 prc, 300 prc, and 12 gauge my 'need to haves' and the rest are nice to haves. Will probably hang on to the 17 hmr, 243, and 6.5 CM for the time being but will start whittling down the rest as I use up ammunition and can get a good price. Just ordered a Hornady Snapsafe Super Titan Double door so I can store my binoculars, spotting scope, range finders, and ammo in firesafe storage.

As far as training, I've read a few reloader manuals how to sections, Phil Massaro's Intro to Hand Loading and watched a number of YouTube videos on reloading. I have AVERAGE mechanical ability and any other sources/training you'd recommend is appreciated.

I have a Nosler and two Hornady reloading manuals (digital) and will get a hard copy of one a current reloading manual - maybe Lyman.

Hoping to reload using ELD-X or Terminal Ascent for hunting. Possibly some LRX or CX if I need or want a mono metal. I know Berber's and ELDM are popular for hunting out to long ranges, but I would really like a bullet that is more capable on shots from 50 yards plus. As in the other thread, main cartridge will be 6.5 PRC. Will also use 6.5 CM and 300 PRC for smaller and bigger game respectively.

Shots will typically be from 100 to 400 yds, though I do have a range where I practice out to 800 m (about 900 yds). Closer and further shots (than 100 and 400 yds) are possible depending on terrain and conditions.

Your experience and opinions are appreciated.

Last edited: