Leupold CDS dial goes to 600 yards max

excaliber

I finally installed my CDS custom dial on my 300 Win Mag. I was told it would go out to 750 yards and the dial is inscribed to 7.5 but it will only dial to 600 yards exactly.
The scope is a VX-3 4.5x14x40 (1" tube)

The dial is made for a 180 Gr Nosler Accubond at .509 BC,200 yard zero, 6000' elevation and 35deg.
I know the BC of the Accubond is really .484 and tried to order it that way but the guy said he has done many at .509 for the Accubond and they work really well.

It's pretty funny how it stops right at 600 yards on the dial. I'm going to shoot tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

I'll be calling the Custom Shop on Monday.

Any ideas?

That sounds weird. The VX3 does have 15 MOA per turn of adjustment on it's CDS system, but they don't have stops. You should get roughly 750 yards with 15 MOA of adjustment.

Don't get why you would be stopping right at the 600 yard mark. I would have thought something is set-up wrong with your base, and you just ran out of adjustment (I think you have a total of 65 MOA for elevation). So like maybe you were already up to 55 MOA. But I don't know... sounds weird.

I do not have a 20 moa base installed and the dial was made for a 200 yard zero.

Mine has a zero stop on it so when I return to my 200 yard zero it stops right there. I was told it would go to 750 yards but it doesn't.

This scope has been back to leupold because it would not track or adjust to my liking last year. They repaired or did something with the erector adj.
I sent an email off to Leupold and will call them in the morning.

Excalibur
With a zero stop installed you may be hitting the back side of the zero stop. My zero stop on a VX 3 I have is actually just plastic washers under my turret. I don't have the CDS on that one though. When the turret is off there should be a part of the housing that sticks up a little and lined up with a depression in the CDS turret. That is what stops it.

Could your scope just be out of adjustment? How many moa/turns will the turret get of "down" if you disengage the zero stop? As mentioned, you may need a rail with some moa added (or Burris signature rings with inserts).
In other words there may not be anything wrong with the scope and you have a mounting issue. When you zero the scope you only have a certain amount of adjustment left and what little you have left doesn't get you to your desired range...so you need to change the mounts (rail or rings) to add some adjustment range in there. Careful not to over do it or you may not be able to get a close enough zero.
There are downsides to buying light 1" scopes, and that is usually adjustment range. However this scope has probably got about 50 moa.

the standard CDS dial only has one revolution. The leupold custom shop does make dials for more revolution. Have to call them and see if it will work on your scope.

14 MOA is all I get out of my S1 turret. I use in conjunction with a 300 yard zero on my 300 RUM and can get out to 850 yards. The zero stop only works with one revolution.

I still have not heard back from Leupold on this issue. I've tried to call several times but I can't wait hours on the phone as I'm always in the 40's or higher in line.

I'm not impressed at all with the Leupold customer service.

This scope went back to Leupold last year but they could not get it back to me in time for a once in a lifetime Elk hunt last year.
I had to break out the old trusty 30-06 instead of my 300 Win Mag due to not having enough time to get things fixed. This year the same scope is having issues.

Now the dial only goes out to 600 yards and no response from Leupold. I've just about had enough of Leupold.

I need to find a better quality scope with more magnification under $1200.00 similar to a VX-6 4-24X52.
Any ideas?

I've had the same thing happen to me, two different occasions had a Leupold go out on me within a week of an out of state hunt. The phone wait time sucks but if you can hold out I'm sure they'll make it right. With the first incident they overnighted me a loaner until I got back and the second they sent me a new scope.

I don't know which number you called so I'll PM you a number to someone who might can help...be advised it's been a few years since I've used it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.