30-06 at 600 yards

Two points:

1) The 30-06 needs 26"s of barrel and 28" is better. 50 - 75fps+ helps.

2) From your build list it would appear you are about to spends thousands of dollars on a custom rifle but cannot see spending $400 to get a good start reloading. So your going to stick with factory loads for now in your multi-thousand dollar gun/scope purchase?

Really???????

KB

Two points:

1) The 30-06 needs 26"s of barrel and 28" is better. 50 - 75fps+ helps.

2) From your build list it would appear you are about to spends thousands of dollars on a custom rifle but cannot see spending $400 to get a good start reloading. So your going to stick with factory loads for now in your multi-thousand dollar gun/scope purchase?

Really???????

KB
Does seem a little odd indeed. Possibly, the OP is trying to figure out what is and is not salient to accurate shooting. I would advocate for a quality factory rifle for > $1k, maybe. Leaves quite a hefty budget for optics, accessories and a solid reloading setup. A well made custom rifle shooting factory ammo will certainly not deliver any place close to what the OP desires. That being stated, we each get to make our own way.

point taken on barrel length for picking up the extra fps with a little longer barrel and I will look into that.

As for my situation with reloading it is not the price that is keeping me back rather an issue with spare time. As it is right now i struggle to go to the range as often as i would like. That being said my situation looks to be changing next year where i can further pursue long range shooting and at that time i plan to start my venture into hand loading

I am not new to firearms and have come to understand that when you buy quality first it will give you a platform that won't hold you back and save you money over the long run. On top of that having a firearm such as the one i plan to build instills the owner with a sense of pride that further encourages the cultivation of ones skills.

That's is just what i have found personally, others may have a different opinion. But that's why I'm here to learn from others opinions.

sorry but in my opinion the 06 isn't even a good 600 yard deer round let alone for elk sized game. time to step up to a 300 mag and I would even consider a 300wby or even better a 300 ulta

sorry but in my opinion the 06 isn't even a good 600 yard deer round let alone for elk sized game. time to step up to a 300 mag and I would even consider a 300wby or even better a 300 ulta

Really??? For simply deer hunting, he should be fine with an '06 with a 185 VLD to easily 750 yards, and with a .30-06 AI with a stiff load and a 185 VLD (around 2,850-2,900 fps), I wouldn't hesitate to drop one at 1000.

probably has about the power of a 30 carbine at 300 yards when your talking 1000 yards??
Really??? For simply deer hunting, he should be fine with an '06 with a 185 VLD to easily 750 yards, and with a .30-06 AI with a stiff load and a 185 VLD (around 2,850-2,900 fps), I wouldn't hesitate to drop one at 1000.

you want to kill them cleanly or poke holes in them and wait till they bleed!!! Just posted In another thread some ballistics I looked up with the same bullet going 2600 out of a 308 and it had about the same energy at 600 as a 3030 does at 300 and how many of you would take your grandpas 3030 out in the corn fields and shoot deer at 300 yards.
You've got to be kidding. Seriously.

the bullet (bc) and load (velocity) . are more important . i chronod 180 partition fed high energy factory 30-06 ammo out of a 22" barrel 2888. chrond 180tsx federal 300 win magfactory ammo out of a 26" barrel 2990. very little difference there. most important is a rifle /ammo capable of shooting good groups at 600 yards.

really an easy answer here. Would you grab a 3030 out of you rack if you were heading out elk hunting and knew the shot youd get would be at 300 yards or even a big bull at 200? If yes then grab that 06 and go shoot some elk at 600. I have to doubt any ethical hunter would grab that 3030.

I doubt to many here are shooting factory ammo and the fact is a 300 win will outstep a 06 with any bullet weight by 200 fps any day of the week probably a bit more with a 26 inch barrel if you stick to the loading manuals and you can add a good 100fps more on to it if your talking a weatherby and that extra 2-300 fps can mean the difference in a bullet expanding or just poking a hole in an animal at 600 yard. .
the bullet (bc) and load (velocity) . are more important . i chronod 180 partition fed high energy factory 30-06 ammo out of a 22" barrel 2888. chrond 180tsx federal 300 win magfactory ammo out of a 26" barrel 2990. very little difference there. most important is a rifle /ammo capable of shooting good groups at 600 yards.

probably has about the power of a 30 carbine at 300 yards when your talking 1000 yards??

Actually at 1000 yards it has the same velocity (1,483 fps), and more energy (904 fpe), than a 158gr .357 Magnum load (1,485 fps, 774 fpe) at point-blank range...

So, Better than the .30 Carbine at 100 yards, which has a muzzle velocity of 1,990 fps, 1311 fpe...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.