30-06 at 600 yards

NattyBumppo

Hey guys got a question for you all

I'm looking into building a rifle to start hunting with. I have been leaning towards the 30-06 for its all around capabilities, long barrel life and large supply of premium factory hunting rounds as i do not reload at this time. However i also want a rifle that I can grow into and hopefully take game up to the size of elk at 600 yards when i am capable.

So my question is can the 30-06 reliably take large game up to 600 yards with premium factory loads shooting say a 180gr Accubond? Or should i should i jump up in caliber to say a 300wm. I'm not not worried about the recoil as i can consistently shoot my fathers 300wby sporter.

I have used the 30-06 for years. Using the 210 gr Berger with 1/2 MOA accuracy the 06 runs out of gas around 750 yards. QuickLoad shows the velocity to be around 1830fps with 1550 ft lbs of energy which will dispose a elk with proper bullet placement. The 300 WM will take you past 1000 yards using the 215gr Berger.

Bullet placement is where your problem lies if you want to shoot factory loads. You would need to be very lucky to take a factory load and be able to put it into a 10 circle (kill zone on a mature elk) consistently at 600 yards. The same holds true with the 300WM at that range. Not saying it can't be done but the odds are against you.

If you plan to start reloading in the near future the 30-06 is a fine elk rifle and very capable out to the yardage above.

So in my opinion if you want to stick with factory ammo to hunt elk I would opt for the 300 WM and find a big bullet your rifle will shoot. Then find the max range you can put the bullet into a 10 inch circle consistently then go hinting. My two elk and deer rifles are a custom built Pre 64 Mdl. 70 30-06 and a custom built Weatherby Mark 5 300 WM.

Look into the 7mm Remington Magnum. Fast, flat, and powerful. You can also get premium factory ammo using premium bullets for it until you reload.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

It is out of stock right now, but it's showing it should be back in stock on Feb 4th. Which could mean sooner than that, or later than that.

However, that is the load I would shoot if I were to shoot factory ammo.

This place has it in stock, from what I can tell....Might wanna call to be sure.

HSM Trophy Gold Rifle Ammo 7MAG168VLD, 7mm Remington Magnum, Berger Hunting VLD, 168 GR, 3067 - Able Ammo

Also, the HSM ammo uses Norma brass, which is top of the line stuff, so if you save up your brass until you start reloading, then you're already starting with some good quality brass.

Cabelas has it in stock online, too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HSM-...ition/706592.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

A 30-06 remains a good choice. Factory ammo is unlikely to meet your parameters. If recoil is not an issue the .300 Winchester will day in day out be a better choice.

Look into the 7mm Remington Magnum. Fast, flat, and powerful. You can also get premium factory ammo using premium bullets for it until you reload.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

Also, the HSM ammo uses Norma brass, which is top of the line stuff, so if you save up your brass until you start reloading, then you're already starting with some good quality brass.

I've tried HSM/Berger ammo in several rifles of different calibers, and it shoots well in one (1) of them. In that one is shoots very, very well; in the rest it shot horrible. So, as with any ammo, you have to try it first and see. My shooting partner and I have decided it is the ammo "least likely to be accurate" if you're going to rank them when trying out a rifle.

In addition, every box was Winchester brass, not Norma. This includes the two boxes I bought this fall for a hunting trip.

Just my observations.

I'm looking into building a rifle to start hunting with. I have been leaning towards the 30-06 for its all around capabilities, long barrel life and large supply of premium factory hunting rounds as i do not reload at this time. However i also want a rifle that I can grow into and hopefully take game up to the size of elk at 600 yards when i am capable.

So my question is can the 30-06 reliably take large game up to 600 yards with premium factory loads shooting say a 180gr Accubond? Or should i should i jump up in caliber to say a 300wm. I'm not not worried about the recoil as i can consistently shoot my fathers 300wby sporter.

From what I have come to learn is, long range and factory ammo in the 30-06 doesn't mix well. If you find a high BC factory load that shoots 1 moa at 600 then your good to go. The problem is they are seated to fit all guns magazines, and your gun might not like where they are seated. Plus your gun may not like the powder either. If you are hunting long range with any cartridge your going to have to reload. That being said I don't know the BC of the accubond but it might be a good 600 yard bullet.

I think the 30-06 is a fine choice to start with. You would be hard pressed to find a better cartridge to practice and learn with. I'll wager there is factory ammunition available that will take you to 600 yards although the limitations on high bc factory ammo will likely encourage you to start reloading in the future......this is not a bad thing and is in fact pretty much a requirement for long range shooting and hunting.

the 30-06 is a very capable round ; when chambered in a good rifle . there is a lot of good ammo for it also. getting a Rifle ( whether is it a 300 wm ; 7 mm or....) that is able to shoot good groups at 600 yards would be the more difficult challenge.

I've tried HSM/Berger ammo in several rifles of different calibers, and it shoots well in one (1) of them. In that one is shoots very, very well; in the rest it shot horrible. So, as with any ammo, you have to try it first and see. My shooting partner and I have decided it is the ammo "least likely to be accurate" if you're going to rank them when trying out a rifle.

In addition, every box was Winchester brass, not Norma. This includes the two boxes I bought this fall for a hunting trip.

Just my observations.
That's strange, I remember reading on here where someone asked them and they said it was Norma. Maybe someone had bad info. I've never used it personally. But I have used Bergers, and they are phenomenal hunting bullets. And HSM is the only factory ammo that loads Bergers.

Bergers can be finicky. Which is why handloading is a must, IMO. But everyone that I know that's tried HSM ammo has had good luck with it. Which is why I recommended it.

the 30-06 is a very capable round ; when chambered in a good rifle . there is a lot of good ammo for it also. getting a Rifle ( whether is it a 300 wm ; 7 mm or....) that is able to shoot good groups at 600 yards would be the more difficult challenge.
Please elaborate on this statement...

.30/06 is a great and flexible cartridge. I just helped a whitetail doe find a place in the freezer from 421 with mine. IMO, Factory ammo that fits your specifications is going to be a needle in a haystack. 600 on a game animal is a fair poke, that's near my personal limit of 700 with my .30/06 rifle that I've developed a CONSISTENT 1/2 to 5/8 MOA load in, verified drops, and practiced at range with. All the while verifying strict control of each piece of ammunition. Factory ammo can not be relied upon to have those standards or consistent performance in YOUR rifle. If you can find one that will even deliver sub-MOA in your rifle. Personally, if reloading isn't in the cards right now I would limit the range to maybe 300 and save your brass for when you can start reloading. Most importantly, have fun.

Please elaborate on this statement...

the rifle , is more important than the cartridge. a 760 carbine generally will not shoot as good of groups at 600 as a 40x with a 27 inch match barrel. i do love the 30-06. reread Natty original post he says his going to "build " . hopefully he gets a krieger hart or equivalent . Natty- you will love it.

Thanks for all the replies

After reading through all the posts and thinking it over I've decided that the 30-06 would be the best cartridge for me. The cheaper and plentiful ammo will keep me practicing till i can reload and really use the most of the cartridge. The rifle should be up to the task as it will be a custom build using a Stiller Predator, Shilen select match barrel 1-10 twist 24" and it will be pillar bedded in Manners EH-3.

I'm excited to start this build and most pictures showing of when its all said and done:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.