.223 up to 600 yards

donny70

Can anyone tell me if my 69gr .223 can shoot up to 600 yards on a range and in a comp?
I'm using a remington 700 ltr and the Barrel twist is 1 in 9"

Donny
im not really sure about your 63 gr(what?)
But I can tell you I shoot 55 gr vmax over 25 grs of varget And I have shot mine to 650 yards (Alot!)
My shooting buddy uses the same bullets(im not sure what powder he uses)
and he is right there with me(he is way better then me)
hope this helps

every gun is differant
lots of varibles here ect
get out to the range and shoot it and see what it will do
I dont know what this comp entails
good luck
retiredcpo

600 yards is very doable for the 69 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP. I'm shooting 68 grain Hornady BTHP's (a bit better ballistic coefficient than the Sierras) and as long as the wind isn't too bad tight groups at 600 is very doable.

600 yards is done in across the coarse matches with the AR's all the time with Sierra 69 and 9 twist. Get you some Varget or RL-15 and have at it. I use the target load in the Sierra manual for the 69 MK in my Bushmaster AR with 9 twist to varmint hunt with and it will smoke a groundhog way out there.

My .223 is a Savage LRPV which I shoot at 500 meters (about 550 yards) in factory class groundhog matches. It has a 1-7" twist and I only shoot moly Berger 80 gr. VLD's over 25.5 grains of Varget, MV around 2,650. I have had some great groups with this combination.

BUT . . . .you really need to be able to read the wind very well, and of course, lighter bullets will increase this need.

Take a look at this: Reading The Wind

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.