Expansion when V-Max goes subsonic

Jinx-)

Does anyone know what happens to V-Max bullets when they are at subsonic speed and how good are they for coons and chucks? I tested few subsonic loads from 6BR and 87gr V-Max, 1200 fps@ muzzle, I set gallon jar at 100 yards and got it with first shot. Now when I shoot them with V-Max 3050 fps@ muzzle them jars explode and small fragments of lead and copper can be found, but with V-Max going subsonic, there were just penetration and I recovered bullet not deep in the ground with no signs of expansion. I think 87 V-Max has thick jacket which design to save pelts and not expend on impact. Maybe I wrong, but I think it might be suited to shoot deer with it.

vmax1.jpg

vmax2f.jpg

Deer vary a lot in body size regionally.

I've shot plenty of South Texas Whitetails with factory Hornady Custom 223 55gr VMax at ranges out to about 250yds without any issues. That's around 2300 fps on impact. I think that ammo is supersonic past 700 yds.

Bullet placement obviously helps and my Styer SL has yet to let me down. But, I haven't tried anything extreme with it on deer as the rifle just isn't the right setup for LRH.

-- richard

Since yotes season out and they squalling and howling at night very close to my house also raccoons are out so I thought make a subsonic load for 6mm BR so I can take them out and not disturb my neighbors. So I'm working on 87gr V-Max bullet and IMR Trail Boss, right now I'm loading 6.5gr, so the case is half way full. When I shoot them It feels like about a second or half from firing and impact on them gallons, it almost like shooting 500 yards when loaded to 3K+ fps. Them 87 gr V-Maxes do rip the back of the jars open, so I think with right shot placement it will put them yotes to sleep.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.