Let’s see the rewards of hard work.

Pretty incredible mom story. Wish I could hunt with my mom. Here's my first archery bull this year. Really did my research on calling and practiced hard for a year and it all payed off. Called in multiple bulls before and after I shot this big guy. I love shooting far but I have to say it's even better when they are close. He was under ten yds and staring right at me full frontal when I released. Hard to tell he's a six but they are back there. What a beautiful morning it was. Best part is my wife says he's the best tasting elk I've shot yet! Good luck and keep those posts coming! Good luck on your hunt. Stay determined and you'll get one.
FE391560-BF34-44BD-9E71-90DF8CECC5D8.jpeg
58347040-AEF6-4F40-9373-DD81D382C584.jpeg

Pretty incredible mom story. Wish I could hunt with my mom. Here's my first archery bull this year. Really did my research on calling and practiced hard for a year and it all payed off. Called in multiple bulls before and after I shot this big guy. I love shooting far but I have to say it's even better when they are close. He was under ten yds and staring right at me full frontal when I released. Hard to tell he's a six but they are back there. What a beautiful morning it was. Best part is my wife says he's the best tasting elk I've shot yet! Good luck and keep those posts coming! Good luck on your hunt. Stay determined and you'll get one.View attachment 165722 View attachment 165723
Very nice. Congrats

just out of curiosity, what's you MV & what powder are you loading with?
With that 338 Edge it is loaded at 92 gr.of -H-1000 @ 2884 fps. 300 berger E.H. 15 thou. Of. 30 " Proof plus brake .
☆☆☆PLEASE WORK UP ☆☆☆

Rum Man

thank you, is that 30" including the brake or actual barrel length? i've been working on a load for my 338-378 Wby. but it only has a 25" plus brake & am at 2920 with retumbo. hoping for 3000, just got some vit. n570 & going to try it.

thank you, is that 30" including the brake or actual barrel length? i've been working on a load for my 338-378 Wby. but it only has a 25" plus brake & am at 2920 with retumbo. hoping for 3000, just got some vit. n570 & going to try it.
PM sent
Rum Man

A lot depends on your definition of "trophy," and why you want that tag hung on it.
To me, any good hunt experience is a trophy that I pack with me and enjoy for the rest of my life.
There are some requirements, of course. Good company, good camps, clean shooting choices. I want the memories to be something I'm grateful to have done, without any niggling regrets. Some of my hunts have been in a lot of vertical real estate, or in weather that was absolutely horrendous. One involved finding and returning a lost hunter just on the head of a major storm. One involved running laps to get another hunter's animal 12 miles out to the road-head, without pack animals. One involved returning to camp and finding elk tracks all around the tent. You know the drill. Another trophy was taking a nap, then daydreaming in the sunshine on the trail with my scope cranked up to the limit when a herd of elk stood up around me. Buck fever, no shots fired, but the memory of that line of bobbing butts disappearing into the dark timber when all I could see thru the scope was "hair" has been a trophy I've enjoyed for years. Good friends, good food, tough terrain and good stories ... another hunter's kill, hearing another hunter tell his story of calling in a "hunter" ... turned out to be a Monarch, but without a clean shot. The roast that's on my plate as I type this. These are all trophies.
And yes, there's some good horns on my wall ... but I wouldn't trade bigger horns for the memories of the Great Hunts I have enjoyed these many years.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts