Let’s see the rewards of hard work.

Here is my muzzy bull this year. He was kind enough to let me track him in the snow until he was near a road for the shot!

tmp_27843-20191101_1536134999599112515268950.jpg

Hey looks like some juniper country eh? I've always wondered how the geography might affect their diet and subsequently how they taste. Can you tell a difference?

Hey looks like some juniper country eh? I've always wondered how the geography might affect their diet and subsequently how they taste. Can you tell a difference?

The geography chances as the year goes on. They spend the Summers at or above the timberline and then move down and out, even onto the plains as the snowline moves further down in the fall/winter.

Their diet varies based on the elevation but whatever fat they've built up is mostly going to be from the mid and late summer grasses and forbs they eat before moving down and out.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Here is my bull from late September. Took a little walk right from my house and found this love drunk guy bugling at last light. 40 yard shot and an all night pack out. Got home at 4:15 a.m. and still had to go back for the last load after a well earned nap! Hunted all of 3 hours for elk this year

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Here is my bull from late September. Took a little walk right from my house and found this love drunk guy bugling at last light. 40 yard shot and an all night pack out. Got home at 4:15 a.m. and still had to go back for the last load after a well earned nap! Hunted all of 3 hours for elk this year
Nice bull congrats. That's why I posted hard work. Animal this big being packed out isn't easy.

My strategy for my daughter paid off. She started hunting deer and antelope at age 12. I started putting her in for points and just kept applying while she went to high school and college. Once she graduated with her biosystems engineering degree she had 12 points built up. She used them well on her first bull.
vXGZuz.jpg
[/URL]
Son killed a younger bull. We've been enjoying great elk meals all fall and winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.