Len's new 7 LRM - first day at the range

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
In another similar 7 LRM thread yesterday a guy said:

Will be interested to see how the range sessions go.

Not wanting to hijack that thread I am starting this one of my own.

We just finished my own Long Range Rifles, LLC bolt action gun chambered in 7LRM last Thursday.

I took it to the range this afternoon to get it sighted in at 100 yards.

First I shot a 5/8 inch two shot fouling group.

Then after adjusting my scope ... a 1/2 inch two shot group.

... then a 1/4 inch two shot group.

And finally a 3/8 inch three shot group as I ended up just about where I wanted to be on the 100 yard target target.
7LRM-sight-in.jpg

Then I backed up to 600 yards and shot a 1.30 inch three shot group. (0.21 moa)
Len-7LRM-600.jpg

All of the above were the first shots fired and no cleaning was done at all so far.

All from a bench using Caldwell bipod with installed bipod lock and LRH Rear Shooting Bag.

72 gr H1000
180 gr Berger VLD
OAL of 3.360

Not sure of the velocity as the sun's low angle was messing with my chrono.

This is probably the easiest load work up seesion I've ever had. I just used the load suggested to me by Mike and Aaron Davidson of Gunwerks.

BINGO!

And remember --- DRIVE CAREFULLY :):):)

Well frankly I'm a little disappointed...

No mention of the new muzzle brake that you are using on that rifle! The Mini Magnum muscle Brake.

Well, now that you brought it up... :)

I was actually amazed that I could so easily spot my hits at 600 yards.

This rifle is the lightest I've ever had for such a powerful cartridge. I think I could get by with the next lighter profile barrel quite well.

Very impressed.

Last edited:
I have 50+ rounds through my 6.5-300wm that I just built and have only cleaned it once at about 20 rounds. I didn't notice a difference in the amount of time to clean or the accuracy compared to "breaking in" a barrel. Right now I have 35+ rounds without cleaning and it just shot a 1.15" group at 300yds.

Im curious to see how the velocity compares to your 7 Dakotas. The lrm might be a better option for me :)

I bought a reamer from Aaron.

Stiller Predator action

They said to expect 3050 to 3075 fps. I won't really know until I get about 50 more rounds through it. Seems that barrels speed up until that round count is reached.

Great post, I am building one now. Waiting on the reamer from Aaron and the bolt from Dave Kiff. Building mine on a Trued Rem 700 LA, PTG 1 piece bolt and a 1-8 twist # 5 Shilen barrel. Len are you happy with the H1000 and/or are you going to try Retumbo as well? I would like to see some pics of the gun as well!

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.