New 243 at the range

SteveBurton

Formerly 'Jackmonkey'
Today I finally got a chance to take my 243 carry rifle to the range to try out several brands of factory ammo and a couple of custom loads at 100 yards. The rifle is a factory Remington 700 SPS with some aftermarket pieces. The build can be found here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-243-carry-rifle-139684/

I tried out the following ammo:
Federal Deer Thugs 95 grain
Federal Fusion 95 grain
Federal Vital Shock 100 grain Sierra Game King
Hornady Whitetail 100 grain Interlock
Hornady SuperPerformance 95 grain SST
Hendershots 95 grain Berger VLD
Hendershots 105 grain Berger VLD

I couldn't find any Winchester or Remington ammo to try and had already spent a crap load of money.
I shot 4 sighters at 50 yards to verify the scope was on target then went to 100 yards.

-The first pic is the Deer Thugs. I was very happy with this group from a $23 box of Walmart ammo.
-The second pic is the Fusion ammo. Holy cow! Another sub MOA group from factory ammo.
-The third pic is the Vital Shock ammo. OK, still an MOA group with a bascially factory rifle and ammo but not as good as the first two.
-The next brand of ammo I tried was the Hornady Whitetail. This gave me a 2 MOA group so I will give this to my niece to try in her rifle. I did not post a pic of that group.
-The fourth pic is SuperPerformance ammo and once again, I was very happy with a sub MOA grouping.
-The fifth pic was a shocker to me. That is 95 grain Berger VLDs loaded by a local gun shop called Hendershots. I wanted to see if it would shoot well out of my 1 in 9-1/8" barrel. I think I may have found my ammo for this season and I will have to figure out their recipe so I can duplicate it.
-The last group I tried was the 105 grain Berger VLDs, also from Hendershots. I didn't have high hopes for it and was not disappointed when I saw them key-holing the target. I did not post a pic.

Overall I am very happy with this rifle and the ammo I tried. I have never had a factory rifle shoot this well, especially with so many different types of ammo. :D

Attachments

• Deer Thugs 243.jpg
    Deer Thugs 243.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Fusion 243.jpg
    Fusion 243.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Vital Shock 243.jpg
    Vital Shock 243.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Hornady Superperformance 243.jpg
    Hornady Superperformance 243.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Hendershots 243 Berger 95.jpg
    Hendershots 243 Berger 95.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 121
i shoot 105's in my 243(9 1/8th twist) REM 700 sps varmint 26". Many folks said it wouldn't work. 20-95 degrees and still nice and round holes out to 500+ thinking i just got lucky.

congrats on the new rifle. 243 has always been one of my favorite cartage's

i shoot 105's in my 243(9 1/8th twist) REM 700 sps varmint 26". Many folks said it wouldn't work. 20-95 degrees and still nice and round holes out to 500+ thinking i just got lucky.

congrats on the new rifle. 243 has always been one of my favorite cartage's

Got lucky with 105 Amax in my 9.25 twist as well. Savage Axis SS I bought for my son. Loaded some up with 7828 just for fun, and was quite surprised with a .27", 5-shot group!! Not bad for a $300 rifle.

Might be worth trying in your rifle as well?

I got two boxes of 105 Amax's, two boxes of 95 VLD's and two boxes of 87 Vmax's to start playing with. I'm hoping that I can use H4831sc for the 105s and 95s. I will have to pick up some H4350 for the 87s I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.