6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8

Re: 6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-9-24

Outlaw,

Curious to know if that would effect the barrel harmonics?

Right? Most will tell you that anything touching the barrel will effect harmonics, how much is anyone's guess. As I wrote in my post, I had already shot that load & wanted to both verify the accuracy & get a reading on the speed. The weight of the unit is in the ounces area, VERY lightweight & attached to the MTU contour barrel, i'm not very scared of it. There was a long running review on SH about the Magnetospeed, most stated a POI change with zero effects on accuracy.

t

Great read and sweet rifle, I ended up building a 6.5wsm this year as well, I was going for the opposite end of the spectrum however. I am currently at less than 1/3 the price of your set up, I am currently getting .447 inch groups with 140gr accubonds at 3300 fps (virgin norma brass still playing with powder and seating depths first try with bergers not so good) I will do a write up on the rifle when I get more time. Love the rifle you built I would be homeless if I tried to duplicate it.

Attachments

• 2012-08-29_18-48-57_868-1.jpg
    2012-08-29_18-48-57_868-1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 124

Outlaw - congratulations on terrific results. Even if you're not able to improve accuracy, an SD of 15 and accuracy at .4moa is fantastic. Don't spend too much time on load development. You don't have a bunch of barrel life. So find your load quick and stick to it. You need to be slinging bullets at critters, not paper.

btw...run the ballistics on your current load. you will find you have a legitimate 1k and longer deer killer!

Looks like I might have to get some N-570 to trying in my new toy. I put together a 6.5-300 win mag. Friday night and shot it a bit this weekend. I throated it for 140 Amax's so that is what I'll be focusing on. It seemed to have a preference for Retumbo so I've loaded up some more and I'll probably shoot it in the morning. I was getting some erratic pressure signs because of too little neck clearance. I think PTG made my reamer a little tight so I lightly turn the necks.

Mine is a SS Rem. 700 action with a 28" Bartlein spiral fluted 8 twist Rem. Varm. contour. It's in a HS 5R stock with a Jewell triggers and a Zeiss 4.5x14.

Great read and sweet rifle, I ended up building a 6.5wsm this year as well, I was going for the opposite end of the spectrum however. I am currently at less than 1/3 the price of your set up, I am currently getting .447 inch groups with 140gr accubonds at 3300 fps (virgin norma brass still playing with powder and seating depths first try with bergers not so good) I will do a write up on the rifle when I get more time. Love the rifle you built I would be homeless if I tried to duplicate it.

The WSM is a great lil cartridge isn't it? I honestly think my load is more accurate that that, but i'm not :rolleyes: A large part of the package is the optics, that Leupy is a good bit over 2k by itself. The rifle (I thought) was pretty reasonable-ish :D

Please do get that write up on here, i'd be very interested in reading it.

Good hunting & thanks for the kind words.

gun)

Outlaw - congratulations on terrific results. Even if you're not able to improve accuracy, an SD of 15 and accuracy at .4moa is fantastic. Don't spend too much time on load development. You don't have a bunch of barrel life. So find your load quick and stick to it. You need to be slinging bullets at critters, not paper.

btw...run the ballistics on your current load. you will find you have a legitimate 1k and longer deer killer!

Trebark, thank you very much. Those were rounds 13-17 including the clean/cold bore round with virgin cases. I feel that my once fired annealed (fingers crossed) cases could reveal a lower SD... just maybe :rolleyes:

I'm telling myself to stop farting around now & run it:D, there should be a 'lope or 2 on here for y'all next week. I tend to suffer from severe tinkeritis, but i'm trying to be good with this one, as you said, bbl life is a wee-bit on the short side. & at nearly $1.50 per projectile, I definitely need to be perforating critters instead!

I'm kinda floored believe it or not... I haven't run the ballistics on that yet!? CEB says .560 +/- 5% @ 3100.... Maybe i'll get lucky & come out a little better than that yet?! :cool:

t

Outlaw, i just ran the ballistics, at 4000 ft and 60* you hit 1800 fps at 1470 yards with 941 ft lbs and 5.6 MOA of wind drift in a 10 mph wind!! Thats crazy!! It hits transonic velocity at 2280 yards!!!

Looks like I might have to get some N-570 to trying in my new toy. I put together a 6.5-300 win mag. Friday night and shot it a bit this weekend. I throated it for 140 Amax's so that is what I'll be focusing on. It seemed to have a preference for Retumbo so I've loaded up some more and I'll probably shoot it in the morning. I was getting some erratic pressure signs because of too little neck clearance. I think PTG made my reamer a little tight so I lightly turn the necks.

Mine is a SS Rem. 700 action with a 28" Bartlein spiral fluted 8 twist Rem. Varm. contour. It's in a HS 5R stock with a Jewell triggers and a Zeiss 4.5x14.

One thing I noted about N-570, the kernel sizes are ENORMOUS. I was a little worried about powder bridging... didn't bother it though. Because of the shear size of the powder, I was concerned that i'd run out of room before & got enough pressure. It looks as though, with the bearing surface/boat tail junction set right at or slightly above the neck/shoulder junction N-570 seems to be just about perfect. It should yield max pressure right where powder compression starts to come into play.

I very seriously considered the 6.5-300WM & was headed that route when I got a rediculous deal on that short action.

I have the tools to turn necks and just don't like it :D what a PITA.
Good luck & let us know if that fixes the issue.

t

Morning guys, I debated puting this in the Deer section but since this already established for me & peeps were lookin for kill pics, here you go. It took me over an hour to get into a position where I could take my shot (the sagebrush is kind tall :D).

655 yards with the 130 G05 CEB, the terminal results I will post in another thread. Please excuse the cell phone picture... can't remember to bring everything I guess :rolleyes: Go easy on me, I'm still teaching dad how to photograph lol

Tylers Muley2.jpg

Here's another,very nobby from the bases all the way to the first branch (hard on the hands).

Tylers Muley3.jpg

Enjoy Guys,

t

Very nice - congrats.

Post a link in this thread to your new 'terminal results' thread (and save me from having to search for it!)

TJ,

Nice job buddy. Glad to know your new rifle is working for you. We'll be finishing up your other project here very soon. Plan to have it done for this month's build list.

Again, congrats!

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

TJ,

Nice job buddy. Glad to know your new rifle is working for you. We'll be finishing up your other project here very soon. Plan to have it done for this month's build list.

Again, congrats!

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

Chad, did you get lost?! :D I thought you forgot about us poor folk here on LRH, we sure could use a couple build threads here.... not that you aren't busy enough. Yeah, the 6.5 sure kills errr "stuff"... Give me a call when you start my 7SAUM to discuss the details.

Thanks for the kind words,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts