School me on the 7 LRM

I assume you guys are hand loading? Everything I can find looks like most are using H1000. Anyone experiment with different powders and get good results? I've got a pile of different slow burning powder and am curious if it's worth the time to stray off the beaten path with this cartridge.

I'm a little over 3000 with a 180 hybrid over 69.5 H1000 and a BR-2. 5 firings and primer pockets are done. BR-2 gave me best ES. I haven't tried any other powder

I've tried them all. Powder and bullets. The only thing it would shoot 70.5 grains h1000, 180 hybrid or 175 elite hunter. 215 primer. I did pick speed, 3025 using the elite hunter.

I like mine shoots great. I use 180 Berger over 72 h1000 215m. 3050 out of 28 inch barrel. Verified to 675 yards. Never tried any other load as I believe this was gunwerks load and my gunsmiths.

As for 7mm LRM... I'd rather have a 7mmRM, 7mm STW, or 28 Nosler.

I would too, however a new barrel for a DT isn't exactly cheap, nor is starting from scratch reloading a new cartridge. The barrel I'm interested in has less than 200 rounds on it and will include 350 brass , dies and load data at a very fair price.

I'd contact whoever developed the 7mm LRM (Gunwerks, if I remember correctly) and see if they'll email you some load data for specific bullets and powders your interested in using. I just couldn't see buying something I was only halfway interested in, just because it's a good deal. But it's not my money and rifle. Since you asked, just figured I'd also toss my opinion into the ring.

I hear ya for sure, I've got the data from the current owner. 7 LRM is interesting, with the data I've been provided on this barrel, it'll drive the 180's and 195's to an adequate velocity for my uses . If it sucks, I'll post the results so you can all say " I told you so! "

I've posted these before, but this was one of my most accurate rifles. One holer was at 100 yards and the other was at 300 yards.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would too, however a new barrel for a DT isn't exactly cheap, nor is starting from scratch reloading a new cartridge. The barrel I'm interested in has less than 200 rounds on it and will include 350 brass , dies and load data at a very fair price.

There is a reason for that!!!

Could be that it sucks, could also be the seller is getting out of the Desert Tech rifle and now that the chassis has sold, he's selling all of his barrels and components along with them .

Did a few 7LRMs and even fixing their throating and brass didn't make it more than a turd, probably my top disappointing cartridge. The best it would do was with R33 but even then it had no advantage over chambering with decent brass. I may be tempted to revisit it with decent brass but even then the 7 Blaser is showing a lot of love to guys.

I'd find out what version reamer was used. Gunwerks had I believe 3 versions to remedy the psi problems. The final version has a larger neck to accommodate the inconsistent neck thickness of the junk Hornady brass. I have one built by a great smith, it shoots well. But is it worth the headache? Idk. 7 Blaser 7saum ran from 26" pipe will do over 3k with 180s set up properly. If the long neck design of the lrm isiwhat draws you, look into the 7 Blaser, it's very similar in design but a hair shorter case.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.