Lazz toting bighorn busting buddy

Jimm

We worked on his shooting trying to find the best ( factory ) loads for his gun and at $120.00 a box for factory ammo that was not fun. We shot at lon range , developed drop charts , put them on a 3x5 card laminated and taped to his stock . Groups were lousy by the standards here but time was running out .

No way to accurize the rifle , develope a load for it in the time left and we weren't trying to . Just trying to get him deadly to 700 yds.

Well , time ran ran out and he headed west with his new Swaro LRF and his Lazz warbird . Fairly competent with both after the month of intense shooting sessions preceding the hunt.

167 yards with a 168 smk was the result . He didn't think to take a pic of the exit ( yeah , I fussed ) but he said that the exit wound was the size of both a mans fists side by side . Uphill shot ,entry just behind shoulder about halfway up and exit barely below spine ( very steep uphill shot ) . He thought it would never stop falling then finally it came to rest about 500 feet below the place it was at when it was hit .

Way to go Scott Smith !! This ram was taken out of the southern most herd of Rocky mt. bighorns in the US , hard against the Arizona border in sw New Mexico.

A good end for the both of them ( Scott and the ram ) as the ram will be appreciated by many in the years to come and because of what Scott found while hunting there the ram may very well not have made it through the winter .

Domestic sheep pnemonia had killed 5 that they found while hunting and who knows how many more will succumb to the condition .

While we all can't have a hunt like this , I'm glad for those that can.

Jim Brown [image]http://
cb62364e.jpg
[/image]

Jimm:

Great looking ram and give my congratulations to Scott. That's a trophy of a lifetime. It's good to know he was prepared for shots at longer ranges and that he had put in a lot of range time. But when presented with a shot at a trophy animal like that, you do as he did and take it, no matter what the range is.

Sounds like another SMK that "failed" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Again, congratulations Scott!!

Sorry Roy.........Next time I'll wait till you're done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

May I be the first to congradulate you. If I'm typing fast enough.

Good goin.

Someone otta owe someone somethin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Darn, wasn't fast enough. Beat out by a 7mm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So this is why you've been so quiet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

But I notice I'm faster on the trigger than a Ruger #1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really a regal warrior of a ram. I like the battered and scarred up horns better than some polished up full set.

It was good of you to help the guy get prepared for a long shot even if it was close range in the end.

Congrats on a Trophy of a Lifetime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HBB

Congrats to both of you! It speaks volumes for a person; when they go out of their way to help a friend prepare for a hunt. A lot of time & work... well ok, some FUN too! Great job!

[image]http://
41eab722.jpg
[/image] Thanks guys , all of you . I plan on directing Scott to this site so he can read yalls congrats in person. The area they hunted in took twelve hours by mule to get to . After he killed his ram they took the horns and cape and what meat they could carry out at night ( had to w alk a spell back to the mules ) and then came back the next day for the res t to discover that a lion had visited and ate during the night . The fall the ram took broke about 2" off of one side and an inch or so off the other at the tips . Scott is a tough fella but he said he had never experienced such a demanding hunt physically.

Jim B.

p.s. Roy , I just want you to know that you were beat out by a man that just had carpal tunnel surgery in one hand and probably wasn't getting much use out of the other , what do you type with ? chopsticks ? [image]http://
Lazzeroni.gif
[/image]

OK, I'm whipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Buffalobob, wouldja call 'em off, huh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jimm: how far over to the nearest power tower?. I think the ol' winny could make the shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Purty country.

Jim, thanks for sharing Scott's ram. Nice ram, and even nicer country!
What load did you decide on just out of curiosity?

Tell Scott ongradulations on the harvest. Also, congradulations on being soooo lucky to get one of 13 Bighorn tags in the state, and the only one in that unit.
Do you have any specifics on what area he was hunting?
Just curious because I will be just a few miles south of there in 2 weekends hunting Javelina. Might have to take a drive up to the mountains near Alma, NM. Maybe some day someone I know will draw for a sheep hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.