810Y one-shot kill Lazz WARBIRD

If a person has total confidence in a particular brand of brass and they use them with good results by all means use them. Nothing wrong with something that works within your expectation level.

FWIW, I use Lapua brass in every cartridge I have that they currently make. If they started to make different cartridge brass for those chambers currently not available, I would use them too. There is my confort level in brass, however everyone will have their own.

Many good combos out there to try I am sure with .308" bullets in the 200-240gr weight range ,,,,,

MOST important of all, is which ones will turn in the best ACCURACY at 1,000 yards ,,,,, because without that, all of the other fancy ballistic numbers are just that, fancy ballistic numbers ,,,,,,

and this brings up another important question ,,,,,,,,

HOW MANY shooters on this forum, have a rifle chambered in the Lazz Warbird caliber, with a 10 or 9.5 twist barrel ? as that is where the ammo sales would come from, if I did in fact offer a factory load with a 200gr+ VLD type bullet ,,,,

I would be very interested in a Lazz chambering but not if there is no proven performance with thee best bullet availabe for long range hunting, I'm not talking about you selling ammo as I completely understand that under taking but it would be a very, very stong selling point for the Lazz chambering if the creator had data for what now days is the best long range bullets for a guy like me who roll our own.

Everyone knows what the RUM's do with the top tier bullets but there is little no nothing on the Lazz, so far all I know is you had the 210 VLD's puke above 3000 fps which for me is offering nothing more than a 300 Win mag. I'm not going to make the investment to find out that the way the throat is spec'ed that the Lazz won't shoot the best bullets or would be picky with them.

Right now I can build a 300 Win mag that is almost too easy to kill with in the 1000 yard range, very sub MOA and with ballistics that will run with the Warbird because of bullet choices, I would want to be using the case capacity of the Warbird in the 1000-1600 yard range because that is where it should be shining with excellent bullets!!

I'm not worried about brass, the new Hornady suff has been looking good and if you didn't have it figured out Lazz chamberings would not exist long.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, quite the contrary, I'm an average long range hunter on this site I also build my own long range rifles so this info that several of us have been digging for is really a benefit to Lazzeroni and increasing your presents in the long range hunting arena.

bigngreen ,,,,,,,,,

very good post and exactly what I am going to be doing ,,,,,,,

when I find the right heavy bullet/powder combination with proper speed and accuracy at 1,000 yards ,,,, I will be back on here with pictures and load data ,,,,,

second Saturday of every month is a 1,000 yard match here in Tucson ,,, so my results will be documented as well as photographed ,,,,,,,

and I will be using my regular thumbhole stocked Lazzeroni model 2012 hunting rifle at the same weight I carry up the mountains all over North America ,,,,, with standard factory Lazzeroni chamber & throat dimensions ,,,,,,

bigngreen ,,,,,,,,,

very good post and exactly what I am going to be doing ,,,,,,,

when I find the right heavy bullet/powder combination with proper speed and accuracy at 1,000 yards ,,,, I will be back on here with pictures and load data ,,,,,

second Saturday of every month is a 1,000 yard match here in Tucson ,,, so my results will be documented as well as photographed ,,,,,,,

and I will be using my regular thumbhole stocked Lazzeroni model 2012 hunting rifle at the same weight I carry up the mountains all over North America ,,,,, with standard factory Lazzeroni chamber & throat dimensions ,,,,,,

Thanks, very much looking forward to the results!!

:D The point has been well made and appears to be acknowledged. Explore what has proven to be the most successful combination for the long range hunter! Effective hunting ranges are increasing with same accuracy year after year. Being flexible and "keeping up" with these demands is innovation! After all, you are advertising in this venue to the long range hunter.

Oh I have my shooting papers and I am on it ,,,,,,,,,,

was interesting to me however, the results of the poll that Len did on the longest shots each year that the members of THIS forum killed their game animals at ,,,,,,

if my old fat memory serves me right ,,,,, better than 75% of the respondents had taken their longest shots in the field at less than 600 yards ? ,,,,,,,,

I also look at that beautiful Alaskan moose that was just posted on here on the forum this morning, taken with a decent looking long range rig in the 300 RUM caliber, spittin out 180gr Accubonds,,,,,,

in our never ending quest to extend the envelope, let us not forget about the majority of shooters and hunters out there ,,,,,

Oh I have my shooting papers and I am on it ,,,,,,,,,,

was interesting to me however, the results of the poll that Len did on the longest shots each year that the members of THIS forum killed their game animals at ,,,,,,

if my old fat memory serves me right ,,,,, better than 75% of the respondents had taken their longest shots in the field at less than 600 yards ? ,,,,,,,,

I also look at that beautiful Alaskan moose that was just posted on here on the forum this morning, taken with a decent looking long range rig in the 300 RUM caliber, spittin out 180gr Accubonds,,,,,,

in our never ending quest to extend the envelope, let us not forget about the majority of shooters and hunters out there ,,,,,

A very good point, but just because people haven't killed that far doesn't mean they don't want to be able to. The reason people have the long range rigs is so they can become proficient at longer yardages so if the opportunity comes up where they HAVE TO shoot at those ranges, they can.

As a consumer, I would have to say that if I was going to drop $6k on a long range rig, it better be able to shoot the best long range hunting bullets available. Personally, for $6k I see the opportunity to buy a very solid long range rig with a 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee PLUS a $1,500-$2,000 scope for it and keep it at that price range. I know there is a reason your rifles are at the price point they are, and I am not trying to start an arguement or anything, just trying to give you some more feedback. I also know the bullet thing has already been said as well, so I won't continue to throw that out there. I'll just say that, no matter what, your target audience is not 'the majority of shooters and hunters out there,' just like the long range crowd isn't.

Note to self:

300 RUM and 180 AB's... not the best long range combination but capable of maybe 900 yds on most game

The animal was first seen and ranged @ 500 yds... no shot available... then shot at 120 yds... hmmm, the long shot doesn't always work out... but just in case...

Alaskan moose are probably best taken at short to mid ranges.... the best long range bullets are not necessarily the best bullets for all game animals... at all ranges

Some long range hunters load and carry both short to mid range loads and long range loads

Not all long range hunters and shooters shoot to the same distances... those who shoot to the max distances use the best rifle, powder, bullet combinations that can allow them to achieve their goals

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/ever-think-about-little-123005/

just a real dumb question here ,,,,,, anyone tried the o'l Sierra 240gr HPBT Match bullet in .308" ? ,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, a few years back it (the Sierra Match King 240) was relatively popular. That said, the performance tended to be inconsistent. It did not always expand which was common among a lot of the Sierra match bullets. Sometimes they worked great and sometimes they tumbled.

Also, the Hybrids when they came out were more efficient (better BC's) and have been more consistent in terminal performance.

how many shooters on this forum have a Lazzeroni model 2000, 2005 or 2012 rifle ? ,,,,,,

I know that "old teacher" has a new model 2012 ,,,,,,,

just a real dumb question here ,,,,,, anyone tried the o'l Sierra 240gr HPBT Match bullet in .308" ? ,,,,,,,,,,

I shoot Berger 210's out of my 24" 700 5R .308 Win at 2,400 fps MV...It has an 11.25" twist and 5R rifling and they're stacking in 1 wallered-out hole (ultra tight cloverleafs).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.