810Y one-shot kill Lazz WARBIRD

LazzInc

Official LRH Sponsor
a lifetime of hunting and shooting practice gave me the gift and ability to be able to do this below ,,, I am humbled at the opportunity ,,,,,,

Attachments

• 810YardOneShot-2013-SmSz----.jpg
    810YardOneShot-2013-SmSz----.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 121
Very nice buck! My Coues was an archery buck and nowhere near that big. What is "NP3 coating" on the bullet?

Derek ,,,,,,

the NP3 coating acts as a bullet lubricant, much like MOLY but not as dirty, nor does it rub off ,,,,,

Derek ,,,,,,

the NP3 coating acts as a bullet lubricant, much like MOLY but not as dirty, nor does it rub off ,,,,,

I am interested. Bullet coatings is something I don't know much about but guys who have been loading a lot more than me highly recommend moly or some other coating as it indeed saves barrel life and you can allegedly increase powder charges due to decreased friction, and thus increase velocities safely.

Where can I find more info on NP3 coating? Is this something I have to do myself?

I'd like to test this stuff when I begin loading my 338 Edge and see what it does on my current 7mag loads, and also my 6.5-284s.

Thanks

John, great buck and an even better shot. A Coues deer is only about the size of a large jack rabbit!

Derek ,,,,,,,

this bullet coating/lubricant this gets all passed around every 10 years or so, like it is something new & exciting, when in fact it has been giving many shooters increased performance for a long time ,,,,,,,,

below are some things that you should understand, prior to diving into it ,,,,,

1 ,,,,,,, I have had most all of the bullets used in the Lazzeroni factory loads, NP3 coated by ROBAR company in Phoenix AZ for more than 16 years ,,,,

2 ,,,,, NP3 coating acts as a very good projectile lubricant, like moly, but without the negatives of moly ,,,

3 ,,,,,, by coating the bullet, and NOT the barrel, you always stay on the safe side of the velocity to pressure curve when you fire multiple shots ,,,,,, as you don't have to worry about barrel applied lubricants wearing off ,,,,,

4 ,,,,, NP3 lubricant does NOT build up in the barrel to any significant degree, and is easily removed when cleaning the barrel with any good copper solvent like Barnes CR10 ,,,,,,

5 ,,,,,, simply applying NP3 lubricant to your bullets does NOT increase velocity, in fact, if everything else stays the same, velocity actually goes down, but SO DOES PRESSURE ,,,,, so that you can then increase your powder charge slightly to bring pressure & velocity back to what they were, prior to bullet lubrication ,,,,,,

6 ,,,,,, where I REALLY see the advantages, ((besides an increase in barrel life)) is the ability to use a faster powder than normal, to achieve the same velocity to pressure ratios, when using a lubricated bullet, as compared to the same bullet not lubricated ,,,,,

7,,,,,, what is happening here is that IF the bullet is able to get down the first few inches of the barrel FASTER and with less friction, than the expansion chamber is growing faster, and if the expansion chamber grows faster as the cartridge is fired, the peak chamber pressure spike will occur when the bullet is farther down the barrel ,,,,,,

8 ,,,, the best example of this is the factory Lazzeroni load for the 168gr NP3 coated Sierra HPBT ,,,,, (please don't roll your eyes now)) ,,,, I use Reloader 19 powder and fed 215M primer ,,,,, and achieve 3,500+ FPS, @ 65,000 PSI pressure ,,, AND my extreme 3-shot spreads of both pressure and velocity are often in the single digits ,,,,, reloader 19 is also less temperature sensitive than the slower burning reloader 25, 33 and IMR-7828 etc ,,,,,,

9,,,,,, and when you are talking about 600-1,000+ yard shots, in the field, wide swings in velocity because of temperature changes or normal shot-to-shot variations, can be the difference between a good hit and a miss ,,,,

Thanks. With respect to item #5 that is what I was saying in my earlier post, but some loaders have told me you can increase powder charges and get additional velocities. I knew that lubing the bullet alone and keeping all else the same would actually slow them down.

I did google NP3 last night and found Robar's website. I will email them to see costs and turn around time.

Nice buck John! That's some good shootin, too.

John, I would be interested in seeing some Berger VLD's NP3 coated.

I was going that very direction at one time, but then I had trouble getting the Berger 190gr VLD hunting bullet to shoot well at 300 yards at Lazz Warbird velocities ,,,,,,,

I just finished building a new Warbird rifle for myself with Schneider's 10 twist, 5-groove polygon barrel, and I am going to shoot the Bergers again to see if this improves ,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.