New to BIPOD BUDDY

rhouser

I am 66 years old. I have been fighting the "rear bag" wars for a long time (maybe 40 years). Anytime I am off the bench, it has been stacked bags, rolled jackets, a fisted hand on top of a stack of rocks.... You get the idea.

Recently I saw a thread that talked about a rear rest made by a US company called Bipod Buddy. I watched the videos, I read the sales pitch, and under the "why not" paragraph of my "shooter charter", I ordered the small double cross.

I figured it would take a week to get to me in Virginia. It arrived in two days (at no additional charge). It is well made and very well finished. The only assembly was the locking lever with it's two washers.

To the range to see if it works for me. I used a shooting bench for this first introduction. I brought my 300 RUM (an older REM PSS with a 7MTU Hawk Hills barrel). I use a GGG bipod on a short rail for the front and placed the double cross under the rear.

It took me a couple of minutes to find a setting that would work at the 100 yards I was shooting. I proceeded to shoot 3 shot groups that were as good as the bench rest groups I shoot with the same gun. AMAZING product. Easy to work with rear rest that is rock solid and completely adjustable. I will need to work with it to become more comfortable with setup. I found that I just needed to get close, then lean or move up and down the butt stock to get that last bit of adjustment.

I am sold. I will be using this in the next couple of weeks for some long range "old guy" fun shoots. No more stacked bags for me. Only thing I found was covered in the product info. The double-cross will "squat down" on you if you place too much down pressure on the butt stock. I really needed to tighten the lock lever to keep it in place. Again, I knew this up front from the literature on the web site.

I can't wait to try it for our "unknown distance" matches later this month. The elevation and distance changes can make rear bag use rough sometimes. I think this will be a secret weapon.

thanks rch

They are pretty good investment and Joel McNeese did an awesome job on it's user friendly design esp. afield on various shooting challenges while keeping it very affordable.

Enjoy, and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

It is a good product. I use the Big Buddy with a Harris 25S bi-pod. All my prone LR hunting shots are done with this setup.

I thought I was going to have to come back and rewrite my opinion of the Buddy Bipod Small Double Cross that I bought. I went to the range on Sunday to chrono some hotter loads for my RUM. I set up with my bipod and I found myself shooting horizontal and vertical strings. It could have been the loads, but, I couldn't believe it. I can't claim any windage at a 100 yard indoor range. I was ready to blame my handling of the Bipod Buddy rest.

When I got home and started to clean my rifle I found that the front rail mount for my bipod was ready to fall off the rifle. The rear screw completely backed off any pressure (a full thread was visible outside of the stock). The front was backed off to finger loose. There was a free drop between the rear of the rail and the stock. I got out the lock tight and reset the screws on the front rail piece.

Moral of the story: Watch out for loose screws and never assume that it is the newest piece of changed equipment that is causing a new found issue.

thanks to all for a great forum.
rch

Been using one for a couple years in the field. Light, easy to pack, and sturdy. Not
Many negatives that's for sure.

It is the also the "original" and way cheaper than the knock off one that recently hit the market that is backed by an over priced marketing machine.

I don't know about a knock off, but, you know us old guys talk to each other. I have shown the double cross to at least 8 other 66+ y/o shooters and a few young guys (under 60) in the last two weeks. Four of them took turns passing it back and forth from bench to bench right there on the range. Everybody who has seen it left with the website address written down and plans to order on. I think you rocky mountain boys are keeping secrets again.

I am seriously considering ordering the Big Double Cross to use with my Wind River shooting sticks from the sitting position. These bipod buddy's are the Cat's A**. Something well made, not overpriced that solves a real world need better than anything else I have other used. Unlike a monopod (where I was thinking of going next), these are transportable between rifles.

thanks rch

Not to take away from the bi pod buddy regarding seating or other higher shoulder positions but you might consider the Trigger Stick by Primos too.

I have guided and outfitted a long time in Idaho's back country and our best tool is good binos and spotting scopes. The problem with binos is being comfortable while glassing for hours on end for days on end. The solution for us is to support the glass. I went to the trigger stick for the ability to use it as a walker, a support for my glass, and for support for my rifle.

For seated shooting I like to run a bi-pod shooting stick up front and adjust the trigger stick to tuck up to the butt of the rifle. It is not as stable as a double bi-pod but with a little adjustment and practice you lock in to a surprisingly solid support. I feel pretty good with shots out to 750 and really comfy at 500. I have also used it for standing shots where I put the front of the rifle on a tree etc and tuck the trigger stick in for the rear support.

Just a thought and something to consider if you are interested.

Sorry no picture but it is the single pole. I use it like a trekking pole. I use it for a lot of things actually. Pretty versatile tool for me. I like the single pole for light weight and to trek and I use a light weight stony point shooting stick for the front.

For prone or shooting off rocks or other objects etc I use an atlas bipod with quick disconnect. Mine is actually a cheap Chinese knock off but basically the same. Again, very versatile leg adjustments and you can add 3" at a time extensions. I use the bipod buddy for the rear support for prone.

Left is the Stony point and you can kinda see the atlas knock off on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Canyon Shoot 2016.jpg
    Canyon Shoot 2016.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 112
You know, this forum provides me contact with shooters that ARE shooters. Brent M. I will take a look. I have dragged a bucket of stuff around for a long time, and each time something doesn't work for me, I pass it along to another shooter to let them give it a try.

The bipod buddy will work for me I think (I haven't tried it with an icy stock yet). The only reason I shoot from the sitting, is when I can't see over the terrain in the prone (high grass or scrub, soft snow, big rocks etc). I like using logs, boulders, tree limbs, tree trunks, and truck hoods just fine, but, these limit where and how I can hunt an area, I have to stay with the log. In a perfect world, I am down wind, well concealed, with a clear line of site shooting from a good platform. Figure the odds.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.
rch

You might look at the atlas style bipod for the front too. It works really well for a front support on rocks and trees. Basically you put 1 leg forward 45 degrees and 1 leg back 45 and it makes a scissor that locks on nicely.

The only other thing I added to my pack is a camel back hump from eberlestock. It is a humped pad that attaches to my pack and supports the fore end of the stock. In some cases using the pack for support is nice. I have laid it on top of brush for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.