Lazz 7.21 (.284) Firebird 162-168gr to 1000Y

I designed these high-capacity hunting cartridges myself between 1994-1997 ,,,,,,

with the Scramjet the only exception, all the Lazz Long-Mag cartridges use the exact same case design & dimensions and exact same chamber headspace ,,,,,

it was a challenge for me in the beginning to choose a neck length for the 7mm Firebird, and set the shoulder headspace, so that it would be the same even if the cartridge was necked out to .475 ,,,,,

ALL of the Lazzeroni cartridges were designed for HUNTING ,,, I have no interest in being a sniper or shooting a human ,,,,

"ALL of the Lazzeroni cartridges were designed for HUNTING ,,, I have no interest in being a sniper or shooting a human ,,,,"

I bet your cartridges would do an excellent job in that application though, especially that .338 & .375 you make.

Velocity isn't as sexy as it used to be is as simple as I can put it. Making guesstimate 500 or 600 yard shots are no longer a thing. Laser rangefinders let you know how far the target is so the extra wiggle room in range estimation that 3800fps helps with isn't necessary. And beating up a barrel with that velocity and powder capacity is kinda contrary to the high training volume that has become more normal in preperation for taking long shots. Basically you are trying to sell horsepower to a torque crowd. Nice rifles though if speed really is what you are after.

Speak for yourself-these rifles weren't intended for cornfield deer hunts.

I designed these high-capacity hunting cartridges myself between 1994-1997 ,,,,,,

Waveslayer ,,,

Please remember in the 90s, 500 yards was considered EXTREME range in the field when hunting, so when I released the 4000+ fps load for the Warbrid, that you could sight in dead on at 400 yards and be no more that 3.9" high anywhere in between ,,, that was a HotDog rifle back then ,,,,

Speak for yourself-these rifles weren't intended for cornfield deer hunts.

Kinda sounds like they were. Or bean fields. Or canyons and across drainages.

Or anywhere else that has a far gap between the hunter and the deer...like bean fields. Lol

I was imagining short range like a couple hundred yards when I said that. I'm saying if you're not impressed with what Lazz has accomplished in his lifetime-(I'll keep it nice) you haven't done the proper research. Keep in mind, too, that John came out with a complete range of cartridges in both short action and long action over 20 years ago. At that time they outperformed pretty much everything out there, at least on paper. The last guy to do that was Roy Weatherby minus the complete range of short fat cartridges. The Warbird (30 cal.) was printing 3.3" groups at 1k yards in the late 1990's, and driving a 190 grain bullet 300-400 fps faster than anything else out there. The 30-378 came pretty close though. That Lazz did all of that is an impressive feat to me anyways. Too bad they are beyond what I can afford.

I was imagining short range like a couple hundred yards when I said that. I'm saying if you're not impressed with what Lazz has accomplished in his lifetime-(I'll keep it nice) you haven't done the proper research. Keep in mind, too, that John came out with a complete range of cartridges in both short action and long action over 20 years ago. At that time they outperformed pretty much everything out there, at least on paper. The last guy to do that was Roy Weatherby minus the complete range of short fat cartridges. The Warbird (30 cal.) was printing 3.3" groups at 1k yards in the late 1990's, and driving a 190 grain bullet 300-400 fps faster than anything else out there. The 30-378 came pretty close though. That Lazz did all of that is an impressive feat to me anyways. Too bad they are beyond what I can afford.

Oh gotcha. I've seen a lot of big fields around my town, power lines too. Those rifles would be perfect for that. Dedicated hunting rifle, with a one shot capability out to 500 yards.

Yeah, price is a big deterrent for me as well. Price with limited ammo is a no go at this point.

These rounds are effective well beyond 500 yds. I have taken bears at 950 and deer at just over 1k with my Sako/Warbird combo.

The Sako and Savage rifles that were built by Lazzeroni can be had at a very reasonable price, and finding once fired brass online keeps the cost affordable.

The "high" prices of the Lazzeroni line may have been true 10 years ago, but his prices really haven't gone up since then. Now his rifles are pretty much in line with most other big name custom builders, and less than others too...Jarrett, Gunwerks etc are all the same or more.

Yeah brass is still Lapua territory as far as price, but still cheaper than custom brass and fireforming. And brass is a one time cost, buy once cry once.

John still needs to run some bigger bullets and faster twists, the 215gr Berger in the Warbird would win over the LRH guys I bet.

There's no denying he did what others only dreamed of...creating an entire line of cartridges from the ground up...not just "improving" something that someone else already made then slapping his name on it.

These rounds are effective well beyond 500 yds. I have taken bears at 950 and deer at just over 1k with my Sako/Warbird combo.

The Sako and Savage rifles that were built by Lazzeroni can be had at a very reasonable price, and finding once fired brass online keeps the cost affordable.

Yes, 100% beyond 500 yards, but if you read old articles in field and stream, American hunter, shooting world...etc. the selling point of his rifles, before all the calculators and average Joe understanding ballistics, was a deer rifle that you literally put the cross hairs on its back at 500 yards and it goes bang flop.

Yes, 100% beyond 500 yards, but if you read old articles in field and stream, American hunter, shooting world...etc. the selling point of his rifles, before all the calculators and average Joe understanding ballistics, was a deer rifle that you literally put the cross hairs on its back at 500 yards and it goes bang flop.

I see what you mean, back before ballistic range finders and exposed turrets were commonplace on hunting rifles. Copy that.

Yeah brass is still Lapua territory as far as price, but still cheaper than custom brass and fireforming. And brass is a one time cost, buy once cry once.

John still needs to run some bigger bullets and faster twists, the 215gr Berger in the Warbird would win over the LRH guys I bet.

Unfortunately with the Lapua price, does not come Lapua quality. The brass on these rounds have suspect primer pockets. When you load to pressures that will take advantage of the velocity capability of these rounds, the primer pocket loosens up quickly. Also after truing the neck, the wall thickness is pretty thin and prone to cracking. Most of my brass ends up in the trash due to either cracked necks or primer pockets that i cannot rehab any more. Or if you cant stomach throwing a 4.00 pc of brass in the garbage you can make keychains out of it HAHAHA
20191008_084209.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.