Lawton M7500 and M8000 receivers in shop!!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Late this week I had a package arrive from Dillon Montana. Inside were two receivers I had ordered from them less then 4 weeks ago.

One was one of their M7500 BR receivers which I am going to build a rifle for myself on. THe other was one of the big M8000 receivers designed for the 408 CT case size rounds.

First the M7500.

I have not taken any pics of the receivers yet but will when I get a chance. This receiver has similiar to that of a Nesika Bay M reciever with a 1.350" diameter. A bit longer bolt head, a bit longer receiver thread section.

I ordered this receiver with a left loading port and a right ejection port. This is a solid bottom single shot design. It is also said to be machined to much tighter tolerances then the M7000 receiver and appears to be. This receiver also uses a smaller firing pin diameter as well which will help with high pressure load primer cratering.

I cleaned up the receiver and ran my typical measuring test taking four measurements across the bolt face with the receiver in the bolt locked position. I was very impressed with what I found. All four measurements across the bolt face to the face of the receiver were within 0.00015". EXTREMELY good. Very happy with that result so I moved onto the big M8000 receiver.

This is a BIG receiver. It measures a full 10" in length and is 1.6" in diameter. It has a very large ejection port very well suited for ejecting live cartridges based 408 CT case.

I believe there is also a shorter length receiver which will eject fired cases fine but would require the bolt to be removed to clear a live round. This is easy to do with the side mounted bolt stop lever though.

I got this receiver cleaned up as well and took the same four measurements on this receiver and it came out the same as the M7500 BR receiver right at 0.00015" so again I am very impressed.

For some more comparision, I got two more BAT receivers in shop this week. They measured 0.00015 and 0.00018" variation across the bolt face so basically the two BATS and the M7500 and M8000 Lawton receivers are identical in squareness.

I will get some pics soon.

SO far though, extremely impressed with these receivers. For the money, the M7500 looks like the receiver to beat for anything up to the Lapua class case head sized rounds. Its bolt lugs are significantly longer then the M7000 receiver so they are much stronger and add that significant increase in strength over the M7000 for the big case head wildcats like my 277 and 7mm Allen Mag based on the 338 Lapua.

WOuld also be excellent choice for a 338 Kahn rifle as well.

More information to come.

Kirby Allen(50)

We have not as of now, made a left hand M8000. That's not saying that we won't. We need to have enough demand for a run of recievers, bolts, and handles. Get 25 or 30 signed up and we will run them off.
Scott

there are probably not that many lefties in the world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d-a

Themachinest,

I am very impressed and very happy with the quality I am seeing so far. I made a comment to y ou boys a while back that if these receivers were as good as they sounded that I would use these exclusively. So far I have seen nothing to change that comment.

I do have one questions, well, request. Will talk to you about it next week when I give Barney a call.

Thanks again, I hope to be putting my rifle together next week if the stock gets in.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty, the M8000 action you received, is that my action for my 338 Allen Mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. If it is, that's fast. I would love to see the pics. It sounds like I made a good choice when choosing the Lawton M8000. From what your saying, it seems like you are very impressed with these actions. I am excited about this whole project. One question, does it look like your going to be able to install the Badger Tactical Knob on the handle?

Jake

[ QUOTE ]
Late this week I had a package arrive from Dillon Montana. Inside were two receivers I had ordered from them less then 4 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Lerch and I should order a Lawton. Looks like it might make it before our bolt gets back from BAT!!

Wildcat,

Yes, this is your receiver. Now we just have to wait on the other componants!!!

I will try to get some pics posted of these two receivers.

You will not need a Badger Ord Tact knob. There is one on it that is extremely similiar and the bolt lever is quite substantial so you will not need to change anything.

Kirby Allen(50)

Bill,

You are probably correct but your barrel is a bit large for the Lawton receiver which is only 1.6" in diameter. Your truck axle is 1.750" in diameter!!!

I did get an order of BATs in last week. They are the ones I ordered right before I shipped your bolt back so hopefully not to much longer??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty, that's awesome, I can't believe it's already there. I can't wait to see the pics. Also, that's cool about the Knob, and handle. So know all we need is the Stock, Barrel, rings and trigger. How long does Lilja take on their barrels. I know it will take about 18 to 20 weeks for the A-5. I am getting real excited!!!!

Jake

Now if Nesika was that fast on getting bolts, we would have it made. I know, patience, patience, patience..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill & Lerch, are you guys just waiting on the bolt, or the whole action. Did you already have a BAT action that was set up for a different caliber and your just having a new bolt made. If it's just the bolt your waiting for, man, I can't believe it's taking them that long.
I would let you have my Lawton M8000 action and have Kirby order me another M8000 so you could get your project started. However, the diameter is 1.60, and I know the diameter of your barrel is 1.75. I am really sorry!!! I hope you guys get your bolt soon. I am sure Kirby is pretty upset aswell. How long have you guys been waiting for your bolt.
I hope Lawton continues to be quick on their delivery time. However, it looks like the Lawton Actions are as good as BAT's, so I am thinking they are going to get real busy, real soon. When this happens, I am sure their delivery time will be a little longer. However, if Lawton continues to make a quality product with a quick turn around time, the other action makers are going to have to change the way they do buisness.
Once again, I hope you guys get your bolt soon. I want to hear about your 338 AM and how she performes in the field. I am sure it will be well worth the wait.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Bill & Lerch, are you guys just waiting on the bolt, or the whole action. Did you already have a BAT action that was set up for a different caliber and your just having a new bolt made. If it's just the bolt your waiting for, man, I can't believe it's taking them that long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's just the bolt and me neither!! I'm not sure how long we've been waiting on the bolt but we started this little project back in Dec of '05.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.