Latest Lawton receiver quality review.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
TO all,

Most of you know that I have had some issues with the quality control of the Lawton receivers over the last couple months. After bring it to Barney Lawtons attention, he said that he would look into the problems.

Yesterday I got an order of receivers in from Lawton. They were two of their M7000 receivers.

I am very happy to say that both measured in the 0.00015" range as far as squareness from the bolt face to the receiver face. Bolt to receiver fit also seemed much better then the older M7000 receivers I have built on.

Looks like Barney found the problem and corrected it. Just wanted to give him his due for wanting to offer the best product he can to his customers. These two receivers are as square as any you will find out there no matter what you pay, hopefully this continues!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Glad to hear it, and thanks for the update. How would the 7500 be to build a .338 Lapua, single shot configuration?

Thanks,
Frank D

glad some one is happy with lawton. I ordered one in january and they said it would be here in february. They have blown me off and blown me off. Last time I called they said it would be here in a month at the earliest. There customer service sucks to. Not once have they called me back like they said they would. Granted to say I will pay more for a Bat or Nesika to see if they are better.

Not trying to worry some of you or to break bridges but I personally wont use another Lawton unless they get there act together.

Demarpaint,

The 7500 works fine with the Lapua. My semi heavy 7mm AM is built on an M7500 and it works great. My 7mm AM is based on the 338 Lapua.

You would not have a problem.

Kirby Allen(50)

Screech,

Not trying to support Lawton here but I have rearly called Barney when he did not pick up the phone unless he was out of the shop.

Also, your time frame is right in the middle of this big mess they were dealing with with their quality control.

Not condoning it if they were not getting ahold of you but sometimes there are issues that result in legit delays. They should however tell you what those issues are. Easier to live with that then just continue to miss deadlines.

I generally just e-mail Candi at Lawton if I have questions and she tells me what I need to know or tells me when to call Barney to talk directly with him.

I suppose I am a bit more sympathetic to Barneys position. I have also had issues with some of the products I have offered to the public and there have been bugs here and there to work out. Had it not been for patient, understanding customers, things may not have worked out, BUT, since I have great customers willing to help me work these issues out, we have all had a great time learning together.

Sometimes delays happen, we just need to be upfront and realistic about what we tell our customers so they do not get frustrated as you have been and understandably so if they are not getting back with you.

Good luck,

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info Kirby, glad he got the QC issues worked out. Hope things work out for Screech.

Frank D

Like I said, glad somebody is happy with them. Not trying to be a dick but they have pushed me beyond the point of no return. when you say that you will have it to me by february and it is going to be july before I get it if I am lucky then you should at least call the customer and tell them that you will be late that we have ran into problems. Not have the customer call you 5-6 times before finally telling them that you dont have your act together but that I am developing another action that you will have to wait for, and that I really didnt have the action I sold you, it is still in development.

Like I said, Not trying to bad mouth but with as easy going of guy as I am, you tell me whats up up front then I am A ok. you beat me around the bush and pretty much screw me then I get a little warm.

If I didnt allready have a 500dollar stock sittting here inletted for that action I would have dropped them and went with another company.

Screech,

Just out of curiousity, what receiver do you have on order that needed custom inletting? Was it one of their M8000s???

Kirby Allen(50)

the 1.450 diameter 7500 single shot with a fluted bolt. If it wasnt the 1.45 I would have went with a remington 700 by now. It could probably be done but I was wanting to try the lawton. and I think it will look better with the action it was designed for.

May I ask why?

Just curious, I have had some Lawton receivers take longer then others.

I have gotten several of the 1.350" M7500s in relatively quickly after ordering, must be the fact that yours is the 1.450" model.

Good luck with your project.

Kirby Allen(50)

Ill try and let you guys know how it shoots if I ever get the action before I head off to college.

specs

manners stock
1.450 diameter lawton 7500 single shot
lawton 30mm bases
8-32NXS
30in. Rock creek 1-8.7twist amu contour with heavy flutes
holland style brake that my smith builds
trigger that will be in that 2lb. range Not sure which one yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts