Lapua Scenar 155 grain for 308

meichele, thanks...

I've had rotten luck with .243 105 grain AMAX's on game. Even failed to anchor three groundhogs--one was hit twice... and still was alive and kicking and trying to bite me when I got to him (540 yard shot). Unbelievable, but true.

I'm also quite convinced I penciled one through a deer at 170 yards, as I had a good rest, should have been a perfect heart/lung shot... the deer ran off in a direction I couldn't pursue him. Sure, I might have missed, but that is doubtful.

The 30 cal AMAX's are probably a different story. I hear of other folks who have good luck with them on deer sized game.

I will also try the Nosler 180 grain BT's at 1000 yards and see how they group. They're great at 600 yards. But they appeared to go subsonic on me at 1000 the last time I tried them. MV was around 2600 fps on that 1K test. Next I'll be testing them (perhaps tomorrow) at 2725 fps. The Nosler BT's claim a BC of .500, but I'm not so sure...

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
I will also try the Nosler 180 grain BT's at 1000 yards and see how they group. They're great at 600 yards. But they appeared to go subsonic on me at 1000 the last time I tried them. MV was around 2600 fps on that 1K test. Next I'll be testing them (perhaps tomorrow) at 2725 fps. The Nosler BT's claim a BC of .500, but I'm not so sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan, I have had rotton luck with ballistic tips at 1K from the 308. I think higher velocities such as that from a 300 mag is better. I have found that the .507 BC is fairly close at least to 600 yards and it might change after that but there is somthing about those plastic tip bullets that makes em keyhole or tumble when they slow down quite a bit even if they are still slightly supersonic. By all meens try them again. You may have much better luck than I have had.

Lapua Lockbase Bullet

I've been interested in this Lapua 150 gr Lockbase B466 FMJBT also. According to this Lapua chart it's softer than the Scenar and it's recommended for small game. http://www.lapua.com/table_r2.html My software gives it a BC of .488. http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/lapua.html

Those who have used the 155 A-MAX for deer, what velocity range do these perform at. From recent posts on 7mm 162gr A-MAX at 2300-2500 they penetrate but are quite destructive. My impact velocities will be from 2650-2200 and I'm not sure I'd want to hit a shoulder at the closer range, but hopefully someone can tell me differently.

Anybody BC tested the 150 Wildcat FB? How about a wild-***-guess? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dan,

Thats some good testing there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif We both came up with near the same BC for the 155 Scenar. You came up with .497 and I came up with .499 Thats pretty darn close. I imagine a slightly slower twist and more velocity probably makes the .508 they claim. Personaly I found the 175 SMK to be around .500-.505 from my setup. Then again it will change sometimes dramatically between differant setups as you have just proved by your results of .530 Keep up the good shootin.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.