Lapua Scenar 155 grain for 308

Desert Fox

I loaded a couple of these bullet for my 308 Tactical Rifle but haven't got a chance to go to the range to see how it shoot. I like the bullet profile and if the advertised B.C holds true then it will be a winner. Does anyone have a proven recipe for these bullet? Is BLC-2 okay? I have Varget on hand just in case. What's the optimum velocity I might expect on a 25" 12 twist 3 grove barrel?

Here is where I am, up to this point with the Scenars...

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=155

If the wind would stop blowing 60 mph around here, I'd get them to 1000 yards and see how they stack up against the tried and true 175 grain Matchking.

The ball C 2 will work well, but you gotta love that Varget load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif OCW testing has proven that 47.8 grains of Varget is optimal with the 155's. Nosler's max, by the way (for the faint of heart) is 48 grains. I've seen no pressure signs at all with Winchester cases and CCI primers.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan, I'll give it a try tomorrow if this darn rain let up. My rifle's grouping good with 168 grain Federal GM Sierra MK and the handloaded Nosler Competition J4 at around 2672 fps. I hope I can expect the same with the Scenars.

Dan,

Do you ever use V140 powder?

..I'm intrigued by your OCW theory. Your Fed GMM match argument wins it for me!

I struck 'gold' with 165 NBT over 45gr of V140 (first load I tried in my rifle, just measured and weighed a factory 167 scenar load that was giving me 0.25-0.3 MOA and copied it with a 165NBT....not very scientific, but it in this case worked!);
..but am thinking of going to 155 scenar for plinking.....I'm hoping you might have a suggested V140 OCW!
.....not that copying 167 factory made me lazy or anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of the members at Practical Riflery did an OCW test with the 155 Scenars and N140. Here's the link:

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=41&highlight=n140

Then here is the link where the same shooter did an OCW test with the 155's an VV N150. It does appear that the N150 did a better job with accuracy and velocity.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=134&highlight=n140

I'm getting 2940 fps average from my 26" Savage LE2B with 47.8 grains Varget and the 155 Scenars. No pressure signs at all, but that's in Winchester brass, which normally has a little more volume than other brands.

I haven't tried the VV powders myself, but the more stuff I see from VV powders, the more I want to give them a try. The N140 and N150 should be about the perfect .308 powders, depending on the bullet weights. Now Vihtavouri has come out with the 500 series, which are supposed to be more temperature tolerant than the 100 series. (N540, N550, etc)...

Dan

I came up with a true .499 BC at 1K for the Scenar. They were only driven up to about 2910 FPS. Powder was VARGET. If I remember it was roughly 46 or 47 grains. It was a solid .5 MOA load. I gave it up because its terminal performance sucks. I think you will get a slightly better BC due to increased bbl length and a slower twist than my 24" 11.25x bbl.

As far as I am concerned they blow the doors off of the 175 SMK for paper punching. As good a BC and a couple hundred FPS higher.

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to check the 155 Scenars at 1K ASAP... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You said terminal performance wasn't good. What was your experience there?

What bullet did you go to for hunting, and why?

Thanks,

Dan

Just came back from the range. Just like you said and everyone else, Varget is the way to go on the Scenar.My load Federal Gold Medal Brass and 210 Match primer, 44.5 grain of Varget, overall cartrige lenght 2.821", chronograph at 2908 average on a 25" Pac-Nor. Accuracy, less than an inch, 5 shot group at 200 yards. I'll pump up the load another half grain and see what happen. 45 grain should be my max. I don't see no point in redlining this load anymore. I'm already beyond 2900 with 44.5 grains of powder. As far as terminal performance goes, I don't see any reason why this bullet will perform different than any other VLD bullet. Besides, I won't use these bullets on anything bigger than a coyote anyway.

I'm glad things are working out. That Federal GM brass is heavy, and the volume is signficantly less than Winchester. That will allow you to get the kind of velocity you're getting with the lighter charge of powder. Typical Federal .308 brass will hold just a bit over 50 grains of Varget (full to the case mouth). Winchester brass generally holds a bit over 54 grains--BIG difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif For the record, Lapua is in between; normal lots hold about 52 grains.

Take care. Thanks for the update.

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
As far as terminal performance goes, I don't see any reason why this bullet will perform different than any other VLD bullet. Besides, I won't use these bullets on anything bigger than a coyote anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terminal performance is differant than other VLD types due to the lead being much harder. If its yotes youre after then I would say its not that big a deal. Yotes can run a long way if you lung em with a non-expanding bullet, stick to shoulder or spine shots to anchor them.

Green788, My experiance with the 155 Scenar was that it just makes 308 holes through things. I went with the AMAX line because it is more accurate in my rifle and expands at low velocities. This is assuming my largest critter for use with the AMAX is deer. I wouldnt recomend the AMAX's for elk ect...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts