338 (250 grain) Lapua Scenar dimensions

ds

Can ayone tell me Lapua Scenar .338 cal 250 grain bullet dimensions please.

All I need to know is the maximum length I can seat the bullet into a case (or length of bullet left out of case when seated to shortest possible length).

I contacted Lapua they told me length of bullet is 40mm, boat tail length is 6.6mm and shank length is 19.5mm.

The shank length seems too long? – this would give a very short nose length?

What I am thinking about is making a 338WSM to use in a short action rifle with the 250 grain Scenar if I can fit it into a mag.

David.

The length of the entire bullet is 39.50mm. The boat tail is 6.25mm. The shank is 14mm on several of my bullets so I would guess they told you too long of a shank length. The nose is very long and sleek. Incidentally, the boat tail on this Scenar is longer than the boat tail on the 300 grain MK from Sierra and a hell of a lot more consistent in length and weight than ANY Sierra I've ever measured!

By your intentions of making this bullet run through a magazine, I gather you intend to hunt with it?

If so, you might want to check out the thread I started on "338 thunder project" and also on "Scenar bullet failure...no really it was bad".

This might change your mind about hunting with this bullet unless it is open season on tanks!

goodgrouper,

Thank you for the dimensions. I want to do the 338 WSM for tactical competitions where I have no sighters or marked shots. I do not need a loudenboomer. Quickload shows that it will give approx the same wind drift as my 260 Rem which is fine for me. Where I am suffering at the moment with my 260 Rem is seeing bullet holes at 300m sometimes less due to mirage or sun. My spotting scope and stand are good, the hole is just too small.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.