Is this rifle the right one to use

My other dilemma here is just money. I don't have much to throw around so any tips on any other affordable you may have would be greatly appreciated. My only reason for jumping the gun with the venture is that the gun shop has it on sale for $379. Comes with a scope and case to so I figured if it would do the job it's a good deal.
Tas I don't know how they can be putting together a quality rifle or scope for that kind of money much less both.

The Ruger American and Remington 783's have been getting very good reviews and are very moderately priced rifles.

There's quite a few guys here shooting Savage rifles that are very pleased with them and they can be had at very reasonable prices.

If you want to take a chance on the TC combo go ahead but do so understanding that you will most likely be getting a scope that has to be replaced sooner rather than later.

The best advice I can give is to save your money and be patient especially if your money comes hard because it hurts less to spend it once and get quality than to keep buying bargains that never quite pan out.

Some of the best advice I ever got was to plan to spend at least as much if not more on a quality scope than you spent on your rifle. The nicest rifle ever made will never shoot well with bad glass.

Tas I don't know how they can be putting together a quality rifle or scope for that kind of money much less both.

The Ruger American and Remington 783's have been getting very good reviews and are very moderately priced rifles.

There's quite a few guys here shooting Savage rifles that are very pleased with them and they can be had at very reasonable prices.

If you want to take a chance on the TC combo go ahead but do so understanding that you will most likely be getting a scope that has to be replaced sooner rather than later.

The best advice I can give is to save your money and be patient especially if your money comes hard because it hurts less to spend it once and get quality than to keep buying bargains that never quite pan out.

Some of the best advice I ever got was to plan to spend at least as much if not more on a quality scope than you spent on your rifle. The nicest rifle ever made will never shoot well with bad glass.
Yeah man I never planned to use the scope it came with for long range. It wouldn't even work 500. I just figured it would be another one to throw in the gun case and have for a just incase hunting accident. I plan to get a better scope. I have been looking at a couple. I just thought as far as the venture goes.
Well a. I believe it would do just fine for what I want it for. I don't plan to ever enter any competitions with it. Shooting is just a hobby to me. I don't have any money on the line so I don't need the best of the best. I just enjoy getting the job done.
And b. A brand new gun (that can get the job done). A scope to throw in my gun cabinet. And a case to throw a gun in a carry around for 379 is a pretty good deal.

Well the thing is the only thing holding me back is the scope and rings and rail. I only have the most basic of stuff on the 06. So it can't get me much past 200 lol. once I get all the things I need I'll probably just through them into the 7 mag. But all the talk about the 06 I'm considering now just putting everything into and using 7 mag as my hunting rifle. It's a bit over kill for the distances I shoot deer at but I think if I just stick to like 130 grain bullets it would be just fine

There is zero reason why both rifles cant preform both functions. Once you acquire the correct scope for one of the rifles and learn how to dial your elevation, youll never go back to a standard hunting scope with capped turrets again. Both rifles can shoot from 25 yards to over 1000 yards with the correct scope and ammo.

SWFA are great scopes. I have 4 of them now. If you have the money by the day after Thanksgiving, that'll be the best price you'll get all year from SWFA. Last year they also threw in a free set of rings and a bubble level with a scope purchase. They're tough as hell and guaranteed for life.

Hope this helps.

There is zero reason why both rifles cant preform both functions. Once you acquire the correct scope for one of the rifles and learn how to dial your elevation, youll never go back to a standard hunting scope with capped turrets again. Both rifles can shoot from 25 yards to over 1000 yards with the correct scope and ammo.

SWFA are great scopes. I have 4 of them now. If you have the money by the day after Thanksgiving, that'll be the best price you'll get all year from SWFA. Last year they also threw in a free set of rings and a bubble level with a scope purchase. They're tough as hell and guaranteed for life.

Hope this helps.
Well Iv been trying to figure out what the right combo is for that. I would love to be able to use the same scope for my 100-1000 yard shooting but from what j hear, like you said, it's gotta be the right setup. Another guy suggested the swfa and that's what I saved in my favorites and that's what I'm gonna get being that he uses it zeroed at 100 clear out to a thousand.

Once you set a rifle or two up for long range, you'll have to feed it quality longrange capable ammo. That becomes a major problem if you don't reload. The Walmart soft points are not going to give you the results you desire.
There is a couple of companies who load match grade ammo for the 30-06 and the 7mag, but it's costly with the exception of Federal gold medal match ammo for the
30-06. It's pretty cheap... Also maybe Hornady puts out some match ammomfor the 30-06, I'm not totally sure, I haven't shot a factory round for years.

Sounds like you are getting things going.

Hope not too steer your awesome thread off track, but I thought I'd take the opertunity too share a small tid-bit of days gone by, and my long time mentor C Ganter who got me up to speed a long long time ago...

I'm getting back into plingking on my own from a 14 break of traveling the America's. Good too get geared up for round 2.

I'm lucky I kept all my optics from long-ago which saves me a lot of coin, my first target match scope from Leopold was $100 for the 3x9,,, this unit has been repaired 3 X's in its life all free with life time warranty,,, 36 years and still going strong for hunting, plingking, paper and silhouette shooting at 100 too 1000 + yards.
My Pal here in our home town placed 219 out of the world's best in Australia a few years back using peep hole sights.

1000 yards with 80 shoot per-day over 3 days in pron, sitting, kneeling and standing with rifle, sling and free hand. One is allowed to sight in with 3 shoots on day one, no more sight ins after that as each shooter needs to know the clicks of elevation, windage, and br pressure from there on in...

He was up against 7 countries military armed forces personal along with shooters from all over the globe that had un-limted budget with $5000 too $16.000 rifles,,, C Ganter funded him self with a 303 British re-chambered too 308.

His set-up cost about $100 for the rifle, re-barrled at Vancouver was $400 ish for barrel, fitting, and shipping. The chargeable disk for military peep hole sights he had in stock along with his 1954 competition leather shooting jacket that has travelled all around the world with him.

Crazy that an old Candian war vet would consider going into competition with 1600 of the best, like C Ganter said, the Firearm, optics, and set up are only part of the theatre,,, once thay are dialed in, it's up to the man behind the package that makes things happen.

Any-who, this is why I refuse too get rid of my old worn down beat-up optics, if C Ganter competed around the globe for 20+ years at all free hand matches with peep hole sights, then I have the opertunity too at least try too fill his idea with capable optics that will never match his record or skills.

C Ganter is still active today here in Alberta Canada at 88 years, he spends his time at shooting ranges, big game hunting, and lots of critter hunting the furry kind. He use a low power scope since he's not as smooth as he was years ago, Ha.

Sorry to get off track, but I find its only fair that all of us sometimes need reminding that the first long range shooters started off with cruel iron sights that have slowly over time disappeared with optics of today.

Frugal quality optics up here in Canada start at $360,,, take off exchange of the dollar, 15% import duty, plus shipping since we're on the hook up here in Canada for it since there is no free shipping from the USA to here.

This same scope down in the States would be about $200 ish.
My other 6x24 optics was $800 way back when,,, too replace it now days would be $1600 to $1800 less rings and bases. I waisted funds on this scope since I could of remained with my 3X9,,, the most power I use on the higher power scope is 12 and 14 power. I'm too fidegity with high power optics. LOL.

I started off with buck-horn sights, peep-hole, then a hand me down military 2.5 Wever that still sits on my shelf as a reminder of what we might see in the years to come.

Pal Don getting by with less as I make things happen behind the well dialed in package.

Sorry to all about years gone by, but its a reminder that frugal sights and optics when set up correctly can produce fantastic down range groups.

I too agree that it's nice to buy with in our means, so saving up over time will get you a quality frugal priced optics that could last each of us a life time.

This is another option that can work. I can't afford the best, but finding mid too mid high end quality has paid off good.

Last edited:
Those prices are not that bad. I figured 200 was way to low but I wanted to give you a small amount in hopes you would provide information for the cheapest yet capable equipment you knew of. I figured I would have almost 1000 into the glass rings and base. So if I can get away with it for 6-700 dollars that's great news for me.

You should be able to get that scope setup for around $600.

Most of my rigs have Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 scopes on them, locked down into Seekins Precision rings and EGW HD bases, but I have had an SWFA SS scope for several years and it has been excellent for the money. For $300-400, they simply can't be beat. They were originally a mil-order scope designed and developed for .50 BMG sniper rifles for the US Navy. When the contract expired, SWFA bought the patent, SS (Super Sniper) name, and build contracts, and kept building them, but this time for civilian use. Originally the Navy paid over $800 each for these scopes...And now we can get them for $300-400.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fe4l_CAthI[/ame]

Yeah man I never planned to use the scope it came with for long range. It wouldn't even work 500. I just figured it would be another one to throw in the gun case and have for a just incase hunting accident. I plan to get a better scope. I have been looking at a couple. I just thought as far as the venture goes.
Well a. I believe it would do just fine for what I want it for. I don't plan to ever enter any competitions with it. Shooting is just a hobby to me. I don't have any money on the line so I don't need the best of the best. I just enjoy getting the job done.
And b. A brand new gun (that can get the job done). A scope to throw in my gun cabinet. And a case to throw a gun in a carry around for 379 is a pretty good deal.

Once you get that SWFA scope setup on your 7mm RemMag and you learn to dial your yardage and stuff, you can save up and always buy a 2nd SWFA scope setup to put on your .30-06, that way they match and you are already familiar with the scope, and both of your rigs are capable for hunting from 100-1000.

And like was mentioned earlier, you will want to learn to reload your own ammo and how to perform proper load development to be able to shoot consistently at those distances. Most factory ammo just can't produce that type of repeatability, and in my experiences, most factory ammo will never shoot as good, or allow the rifle to shoot as good, as it truly is capable of...Which is a necessity for LR shooting/hunting.

Here is my TC Venture in 30-06 with a SWFA 10x SS and it regularly hits the 1moa plate at 1000 yards.
It's very accurate with any bullet I try in it.
I like heavy bullets so I put a Witt Machine clamp on brake to tame down the recoil..
It is by far my favorite rifle in my stable.

That's what I thought :D ...

+1! Also, the TC Ventures are very underrated but they can be quite the shooter. They have one of the best factory barrel (5R) and trigger for a budget rifle.

IIRC, gohring3006 shoots his (can't remember the chambering though) at or near the 1K yards.

Communication clarification of post above.

My mistake in wording as I used the word cruel optics as a wize selection of word should of been archaic "in todays standers of scopes and optics we get to choose from now days.

The sights of long ago were works of art and top notch of the day compared to buck horn sights, not down grading them either since they served their purpose in time.

We here in Canada consider Bushnell optics cheap, this is comparing them to $1000 or $5000 dollar optics up here,,, Don't forget the exchange, duty, and shipping with gst tax on top of that. This would be $700 to $3800 in the USA.

Not long ago folks would walk into a sporting goods store and walk out with a $2000 scope with no questions asked,,, today folks are scratching pennies over the $100 or $200 optics as that's alot of funds in todays work force.

Different if todays pay structure was at par with products we buy... A $1000 dollar scope is pretty pricey, so now folks class the Bushnell scopes as frugal quality since they are costly up here too.

Lots of folks have been picking up low end budget optics since they have other bills too pay and things on the go with funds with kids and all.

Today's folks are wize senders as we/they need to be, so some folks will use words like cheep as those of us that are in budget too what we can afford class stuff as frugal quality, Ha.

I'd like too buy a new collection of optics, but it ain't going to happen since I can manage with with I have.

My 2 old user optics seen many a rifles over the 30 years when I had plenty of them, soon it will be 1 rifle for all my needs since the less is more program is under way in the house I build.

Western Canadian pal Don looking at options only

I got a vortex viper 6.5x20x44 on sale for like 299 and I'm very happy with it you don't need to spend that much these days to get a decent scope! my long time buddy and shooting partner has a 10 year old 3-9 nikon the kind with the little coin slot for adjusting it, on a 7mm wsm model 70 and I have seen him take it to 1000 multiple occasions and get decent first round hits, it's never given him any trouble and it's always come back to zero. let the naysaying begin.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.