1000yds: Picking the right rifle

Just curious, why the Red Hawk rifle? No offense intended, but they are basically giving you a factory Remington in a B&C stock if you are buying the base model. If you're not, then the build cost pushes up to north of $2k and you still have the factory barrel. That is custom gun territory or even find a great gun on the classifieds on this site.

Just curious, why the Red Hawk rifle? No offense intended, but they are basically giving you a factory Remington in a B&C stock if you are buying the base model. If you're not, then the build cost pushes up to north of $2k and you still have the factory barrel. That is custom gun territory or even find a great gun on the classifieds on this site.

I can't find that style of rifle anywhere else. I just really like the look. And the price isn't bad either.

Sounds good. Just curious if another would not better suit you, but if it's what you like then I say shoot it til you burn the barrel out! It will probably be able to shoot better than most of us as it is. The rifle is rarely the limiting factor.

And I have to agree with your optics choice. I have PSTs on three guns and I think the value for what you get is unequalled right now.

Sounds good. Just curious if another would not better suit you, but if it's what you like then I say shoot it til you burn the barrel out! It will probably be able to shoot better than most of us as it is. The rifle is rarely the limiting factor.

And I have to agree with your optics choice. I have PSTs on three guns and I think the value for what you get is unequalled right now.

Yea, I had the Vortex PST FFP 6x24 about 3 years ago, was really impressive.

I dont plan on shooting anything faster then 3100FPS if I can even find that. My 7mag shoots 3050fps and its not burning the barrel out. I am not too concerned with barrel life as I wont be pushing the limits. I might shoot it 100 times a year.

Can't go wrong with a 300 Win mag.
This. Especially with Hornady coming out with their line of Precision Hunter Ammunition loaded with the new ELD-X ammunition it would be hard for a guy who doesn't plan to hand load to do better.

There are also a couple of services around that if you send them your rifle, preference of bullett etc they will custom load ammo to your desired specs.

If the factory ammo isn't accurate enough to suit you and you don't want to load your own that's a great option.

I love the 7mm STW but I'm never afraid to say that the "300wm is never the Wrong Answer". There's simply next to nothing you can't do with it especially hunting in North America.

I even used in Africa to take game over 1,000lbs and it was plenty of gun to get the job done once I found the right bullet.

I can't find that style of rifle anywhere else. I just really like the look. And the price isn't bad either.
Find yourself a WInchester Model 70 Laredo if you can and you will be in heaven.

That's essentially what I'm doing with one of my current M70 300wm's by putting a slightly heavier fluted Schneider 29" barrel on it.

It will then be nearly the twin to my Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW.

That's going to be a whole lotta fun!

300 WM as for all the reasons mentioned. I would also reconsider scope choice. I am not a fan of the Vortex PST...terrible glass in my opinion.
I know a lot of guys here have been happy with the votex's but 3 of 5 I bought wold not zero or would not hold zero so I'm done with them.

In fairness though, I sent them in and within less than 2 weeks had either a completely repaired scope along with everything they did to detailed out or in one case a completely new scope. Their customer service cannot be beat, I'd rate it right up with Leupold but I replaced them all with the Leupold VX6 4-24x62 except one I replaced on my dangerous game rifle which now wears a Trijicon 1-6x24 which I'm finding to be phenomenal on both my .375 Ruger and one of my AR's. I like them well enough eventually all of my tactical rifles will be wearing one.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR25-C-200089

They can be had for considerably less than that list price with a little looking around.

The VX6-4-24 has become my go to scope for everything from medium to long range when there's also a likelihood of running into a shooter at under 50yds. I got reminded in Africa that there are times when not being able to get to a low enough power in tight cover can cost you a shot or even put you in a dangerous situation.

I am a bit of a conflicted individual so my opinion is always a bit different. I am the guy that will tell you that a good 30-06 will do anything you need. On the other hand really fast rifles are really fun to shoot. With that said I think all the advice you have been given is sound. If you want to shoot a hot rod and understand what it is, go for it. Higher muzzle vel with the same bullet will do a better job at extended ranges. No two ways around it. Yes the hot rod will more than likely not last as long. It sounds like you have at least one other rifle to shoot with. So you do not have to burn up the hot rod. Shot as a big game rifle it will last many many years.

Our company is one of those that do full custom ammo. For that matter we can help you find the rifle that you want, set it up, and ship it to you with ammo. Let me know if we can help you in any way.

Steve

I also replaced Vortex with VX6.

As mentioned, there are some folks that have good luck with the Vortex product and state they have an excellent customer service dept. I would rather have a good product the first time and not have to experience a company's customer service.

I have a deep affection for that style of stock, its one of those "gotta have" categories....

However, I am still torn between the cartridge selection. Decisions...decisions...

I have a deep affection for that style of stock, its one of those "gotta have" categories....

However, I am still torn between the cartridge selection. Decisions...decisions...

7mm Rem Mag is never a wrong answer either. It also has a huge factory ammo selection if you don't plan on reloading for it.

And I know several have had issues with their Vortex scopes, but I have had nothing but success with all of my Vortex scopes and other products.

7mm Rem Mag is never a wrong answer either. It also has a huge factory ammo selection if you don't plan on reloading for it.

And I know several have had issues with their Vortex scopes, but I have had nothing but success with all of my Vortex scopes and other products.

Oh, I love my 7mag. Its very fun to shoot. But I cant justify buying another one lol.... I was wanting something that is a step or 2 above a 7mag. The 300 is a step ahead in bullet selection, but I think I want more.... MOOOOOOOAAAAARRRR gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

lol, Im sure you guys know what I mean:cool:

Oh, I love my 7mag. Its very fun to shoot. But I cant justify buying another one lol.... I was wanting something that is a step or 2 above a 7mag. The 300 is a step ahead in bullet selection, but I think I want more.... MOOOOOOOAAAAARRRR gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

lol, Im sure you guys know what I mean:cool:

I was shooting a 338 lapua at a mile this past weekend and I know what you mean. It is definitely fun to shoot

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.