is NIKON a bad word

buxton

how come nobody talks about or recommends nikon scopes. Are they not durable for dialing or heavy recoil? My monarch on my .270 TIKKA seems to be performing well. Is this the limit of their effective use?

I like mine a lot. As for Nikon being a "bad word", in the world we live in it seems every thing you have, do or say offends someone.

how come nobody talks about or recommends nikon scopes. Are they not durable for dialing or heavy recoil? My monarch on my .270 TIKKA seems to be performing well. Is this the limit of their effective use?

For the price there is nothing wrong with the Nikon glass - they just need a reliable turret system and get away from their plex "close enough" reticles that they hang their hat on.

IMO, Nikon does not match other brands of scopes for the types of shooting I do. I've got several Nikon's on guns, but they are for stand hunting in clearings. For the lnger distance shooting, I strongly prefer Nightforce. I dont know anyone that uses Nikon for distance shooting.

I am thinking of moving this scope to my ml and going up in power a little on the 270 to a 14 or 18x top end.Also looking at 300win mags right now so that means another scope decision, and my head is starting to hurt with a the options. So nikon out. The 270 would be back-up for out west hunting to the win mag so don't want any weaknesses in my scope.

In my somewhat limited experience for what you would pay for a decent Nikon you can get a much more capable Vortex. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the Nikon scopes, but there are just better options.

Nothing wrong a all with a Nikon scope. I have several here. They arent quite up to my Zeiss scopes for LD...then then again they cost me about 10% of wat the Zeiss scopes cost me.

If ya want one....buy one. And if someone gives you a ration of crap over it...tell them to go and pound sand down a rat hole.

I went through this just this week. I have owned a couple of Nikons, but when I went and compared a Nikon Pro Staff 5 4.5-18 and a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 there was no comparison in the glass.

First off, I do some freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon but only because I have been a Nkon optic user for over 20 years. I particiapte in Nikon shooting event's that have literally 100's of folk's at a time tryign out Nikon's newest and best optic's. Over the last 5+ years I have never seen one scope have an issue or not track as designed. Nikon's BDC reticle and Spot On let you dial in long distance shot's easily and accurately. I have helped others shoot to 600 yards and personally harvested deer at just under 600 yards using Spot On and the BDC reticle. I think they are defintely worth taking a look at if you are considering a new high magnification scope. You defintely do not have to worry about it not being able to handle what you put it through.

Here's a very short video showing you what Nikon's No Fault Poilcy covers. I don't do any sales but others on this site do, check them out if you get a chance and drop me a note if you have any question's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IweRfw4vMEY

I do like my nikon,at 420 bucks I think it's a good scope. But now I am looking at spending around 3x that and want to happy with the next two I buy. I just don't see anyone talking about their lr rig with a nikon on it.

I do like my nikon,at 420 bucks I think it's a good scope.
I just don't see anyone talking about their lr rig with a nikon on it.

If you consider 5-600 yds as LR and Nikon's "close enough plex reticle" as being good enough, then they are an option.

When Nikon comes out with a true turret system that is repeatable then they may become a player in the over 500 yd shooting world - until then it's just another marketing gimmick.

for the money u can not beat a Nikon, I own and have mounted 6 6.5x20x44

Love them, but for extreme long range application, there is not enough adjustment. I

have a 8x32x44 I am going to mount on my custom 340 Wbee. NO mal-functions with these scopes.

will continue to use and update according to new productions.

NOTE I still have some Redfield 6x18x40 five star scopes I still use. if problems I send to Ironsight inc. Tulsa Okla

very honest hard working family owned and operated.

My first Nikon monarch I had to send back three times before they would replace it with a unit that worked.

I've got another Nikon Monarch now that I need to send back. When you dial elevation, I get some windage direction movement as well.

I have 1 Nikon on a light rifle which never need go past 500 yds. It has the mildot not the BDC. A friend has 8 or 9 with the BDC and loves them. I'm not a fan of the BDC, but I'm not going to try to talk someone out of one. Perhaps one's budget dictates a choice and asking them to spend more isn't too cool. Got to admit I haven't seen a Nikon ever not dial accurately. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.