How bad is bad?

Put a scope that you trust to hold zero and track correctly on the rifle. If it continues to hold zero. You know it was a scope issue. If it does the same thing your old scope did. You know you have a gun issue.

Put a scope that you trust to hold zero and track correctly on the rifle. If it continues to hold zero. You know it was a scope issue. If it does the same thing your old scope did. You know you have a gun issue.

Well, I know the scope already failed to hold zero. I also know that after dropping 5" of elevation when it failed to hold zero, it went up 6" after 20 clicks of a 1/4 MOA adjuster. I know I have a scope problem.

My only question is whether or not this could be evidence of the scope having been part of a consistency problem on my rifle. The rifle is new, the scope is second hand. The new rifle has been inconsistent compared to same shooter on a rifle that isn't as good. Question: should I now be questioning the scope? This scope was never intended for this rifle in the first place, the scope is being replaced anyway.

The new rifle has been inconsistent compared to same shooter on a rifle that isn't as good.

Your scope is doing just what mine was doing. When I realized it was the problem, (same symptoms on 2 different rifles,) I took it off and never looked back.

Take the scope off and shoot the rifle with iron sights and see how well it does. I am sure you are more accurate with it than 5MOA with iron sights; if it drops the 5 MOA then you, (either need more practice,) or know the rifle is junk.

I have never seen a rifle shoot that bad, I would think the rifle is ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.