Is it Common for 6.5 PRC Short Actions to Fail to Eject Live Rounds

Which ELD-M rounds? I read somewhere in a review/comment section about issues ejecting Hornady 147gr ELD-M live rounds - I think the issue was specific to Bergara but not sure where I read it. Maybe the seating is just off enough or pushing the limit of the short action? Maybe try some shorter 120 or 140gr or switch manufacturer just to see?

So this issue is known to factory manufacturers and it is a result of spec'd cartridge length being longer than what some short actions can accommodate. Hornady says that the COAL is 2.85-2.95" depending on grain bullet and many short actions are limited to 2.910". Not sure what Bergara is spec'd for.

If you want to load a hand loaded round set to longer dimensions then the problem is magnified.

To differentiate between a malfunction and a design issue, take a loaded round and see if you can place it into the action as if the gun was a single feed. Like rolling a log onto a ramp. Do this without angling the round in nose or aft in first. What you are trying to see is if the opening is larger or smaller than the length of the round. If it doesn't fit, there is the answer.

I am not as familiar with Bergara but my HS built rifle is on a long action with a box magazine that is blocked off in the rear to accommodate the correct length so feeding is reliable. Other custom builders address this problem by removing material off the action or running actions with longer lengths…i.e. Borden Medium Length, Defiance XM.

I'm not saying that there are not SA rifles that won't operate but the ones that do, have a different realized length when the shell ejects (enough angle is achieved to clear the opening).

Please let us know if that gives you the answer and good luck.

So this issue is known to factory manufacturers and it is a result of spec'd cartridge length being longer than what some short actions can accommodate. Hornady says that the COAL is 2.85-2.95" depending on grain bullet and many short actions are limited to 2.910". Not sure what Bergara is spec'd for.

If you want to load a hand loaded round set to longer dimensions then the problem is magnified.

To differentiate between a malfunction and a design issue, take a loaded round and see if you can place it into the action as if the gun was a single feed. Like rolling a log onto a ramp. Do this without angling the round in nose or aft in first. What you are trying to see is if the opening is larger or smaller than the length of the round. If it doesn't fit, there is the answer.

I am not as familiar with Bergara but my HS built rifle is on a long action with a box magazine that is blocked off in the rear to accommodate the correct length so feeding is reliable. Other custom builders address this problem by removing material off the action or running actions with longer lengths…i.e. Borden Medium Length, Defiance XM.

I'm not saying that there are not SA rifles that won't operate but the ones that do, have a different realized length when the shell ejects (enough angle is achieved to clear the opening).

Please let us know if that gives you the answer and good luck.
And Weatherby notches the receiver to fit longer loads on the big magnums.

Cannot imagine any oem making a rifle that won't eject a saami round it is made for. I have no experience with bergara sa ejection port length tho. I have a bighorn short action and run 2.950 coal and have zero issue. Looking at your vid it appears the cartridge is too long to eject at the pace you are cycling the bolt. It appears the case head and body are binding since the tip hasn't cleared. So, if you cannot slide a loaded cartridge into the port directly from the side then that issue, too long of coal.

I've saw exactly what you are talking about with 6.5 saum & a 6mm PRC. Both of them has Savage style extractors, not M16 style. One had a spring ejector and the other had a fixed blade ejector.

I have seen this with a Sako. The round ejects and hits that large knob and goes back into the action so fast that you will not see it. Remove the scope and try it. The cure for the Sako was to put on a scope without a large parallax knob .

I figured I would respond based on the input provided. First, yes, 147 grain ELD-M have been most tests. However, we borrowed several different reloads from a friend of mine and have the same problem with all, even shorter rounds. My friend allowed me to clean the bolt (carb cleaner/brake cleaner) without disassembly. He didn't want to void the warranty. Anyway, the problem remains and, in my opinion, it is a weak ejector spring. Hopefully we can get a replacement from Bergara. Since empties eject find, with a couple of exceptions, I'm guessing a weak spring combined with the weight of the loaded rounds, is the problem. The extractor doesn't look bent in any way to the naked eye; but, I guess that could be the problem also. Thanks all for your input.

I've posted this on several forums with very little feedback. Maybe here is better. I've only owned one 6.5 PRC and I sold it without ever firing it. My neighbor is not an online guy and wants me to sell his Bergara Ridge West River 6.5 PRC for him. So, before I do that, I'm going to shoot it so I can represent it properly. However, last night, to check it out, I was running some live rounds through it to check feeding etc. These were factory Hornady ELD-M rounds. They would go into the mag flawlessly and would feed flawlessly. They would extract perfectly; but, they would not eject, at all. Empty pieces of brass both extracted and ejected perfectly. It is clearly an action opening size issue as the loaded rounds are simply too long to eject. To me, this isn't a problem because my non-floorplate rifles need to be unloaded round by round anyway. This is BDL so one can just drop the floorplate.

So, back to the question. Is this common for PRC rifles on a short action?
I've posted this on several forums with very little feedback. Maybe here is better. I've only owned one 6.5 PRC and I sold it without ever firing it. My neighbor is not an online guy and wants me to sell his Bergara Ridge West River 6.5 PRC for him. So, before I do that, I'm going to shoot it so I can represent it properly. However, last night, to check it out, I was running some live rounds through it to check feeding etc. These were factory Hornady ELD-M rounds. They would go into the mag flawlessly and would feed flawlessly. They would extract perfectly; but, they would not eject, at all. Empty pieces of brass both extracted and ejected perfectly. It is clearly an action opening size issue as the loaded rounds are simply too long to eject. To me, this isn't a problem because my non-floorplate rifles need to be unloaded round by round anyway. This is BDL so one can just drop the floorplate.

So, back to the question. Is this common for PRC rifles on a short action?
I had that problem with my new CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC, called them, and they said "are you sure the brass isn't hitting the bottom of your windage knob?".....duh, boy did I feel stupid. Moved the scope about .10", fixed. I thought mine wouldn't eject the empty either. Christiansen Arms recognized the long brass issue, and long bullets that were going to be shot. They cut out the
bottom of the action opening (see picture) to a length of 2.725", and added a .10" to the mag for long bullets. Except for those two differences, the Ridgeline is based on the Remington short action. Very smart and well thought out. My short action Remington is only 2.495", a very considerable difference! I don't have a Bergara of any kind so can't speak to that action opening. I would be interested in knowing what the Bergara action opening measures. See my CA Ridgeline pic of action. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC00688.JPG
    DSC00688.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 70
Thinking out loud here....is it possible the bolt stop is too far back? Allowing the case to travel too deep into the back of the action before letting go?
Imho...I wouldn't think so, or they would have a lot of trouble with every short action made, regardless of caliber. I just looked at 4 different actions, and all the bolts go about a 1/2" past the opening, stop, and eject. Make sense?

I had to try this myself. Bergara 6.5 PRC HMR pro and new Hornady ELD-M 147gr. It had no problem ejecting loaded/unfired rounds. Not hunt down my brass strength ejection, but no problem removing live round from chamber.

Imho...I wouldn't think so, or they would have a lot of trouble with every short action made, regardless of caliber. I just looked at 4 different actions, and all the bolts go about a 1/2" past the opening, stop, and eject. Make sense?
I does and they do...but maybe not in this CASE..( pun intended). I appears in the video that it may be the hang point....just threw it out there for consideration. And it doesn't have to be all short actions...it only needs to be this one! My 270 wsm certainly doesn't hang up....kinda why I suggested it.

Other than the loading port/action port as part of my original question and my suspicion of the ejector and spring, the first thing I checked when I got it from him was ejection without a scope mounted. The problem existed with no scope or rail mounted.

I'm guessing my original suspicion of a weak spring is probably the answer. Fortunately, that is an easy remedy and mystery solver once Bergara gets involved.