Is it Common for 6.5 PRC Short Actions to Fail to Eject Live Rounds

BigSky!

I've posted this on several forums with very little feedback. Maybe here is better. I've only owned one 6.5 PRC and I sold it without ever firing it. My neighbor is not an online guy and wants me to sell his Bergara Ridge West River 6.5 PRC for him. So, before I do that, I'm going to shoot it so I can represent it properly. However, last night, to check it out, I was running some live rounds through it to check feeding etc. These were factory Hornady ELD-M rounds. They would go into the mag flawlessly and would feed flawlessly. They would extract perfectly; but, they would not eject, at all. Empty pieces of brass both extracted and ejected perfectly. It is clearly an action opening size issue as the loaded rounds are simply too long to eject. To me, this isn't a problem because my non-floorplate rifles need to be unloaded round by round anyway. This is BDL so one can just drop the floorplate.

So, back to the question. Is this common for PRC rifles on a short action?

Thanks for the response Barrlenut. I am not sure that the loaded round is too long. It just only happens to loaded rounds. I have a message in to Bergara to attempt to get a stronger ejector/ejector spring in hopes that is the problem. It is not hitting the rail or the turret. I have confirmed that.

Thanks for the response Barrlenut. I am not sure that the loaded round is too long. It just only happens to loaded rounds. I have a message in to Bergara to attempt to get a stronger ejector/ejector spring in hopes that is the problem. It is not hitting the rail or the turret. I have confirmed that.

So what happens when you have a live round in and you pull the bolt back? Does the cartridge just stay in place on the bolt head without moving laterally?

Absolutely not normal...what cartridge could survive that? I have a Browning my SIL has a Bergara both work perfect.

Last edited:
So what happens when you have a live round in and you pull the bolt back? Does the cartridge just stay in place on the bolt head without moving laterally?
It stays in place on the bolt head, though released, pointing out of the ejection port angled up to the right.