Having issues getting the bolt to eject

Interestingly I just watched a video yesterday by Alex Wheeler about timing the extraction on bolts . It sounds like the smith never fired it after the build .

It was probably there right out of the box. You would think that most smiths would have a basic list of things to check before starting work on any gun. Sounds like a problem that should have been fixed before doing anything else.

Timing a 700 for extraction is "rough work" compared to properly truing an action. Consider that when having work done.

That's still not gonna guarantee its timed right.

It at least ought to have the bolt handle in the right spot. It probably needs to be fiited for best contact of the lugs and lug recesses.

I have 6 Rem 700s based on factory guns or actions spanning over 40+ years and they all work great in the extraction respect.

he has it attached with a remage nut system, which i know alot about. i think i would check the headspace. i had one do the same thing, but it was my mistake, when i put the go gauge in it would close but with alot of pressure. i headspaced the gun again, and have been shooting it for over 1000 rds.

Why would you hunt with Remington??

Probably half of America does. Also most of the business smart custom action makers offer something in the Remington footprint. Just because you may not like them doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't like them. I'm a lefty and Savage offers left hand bolt action rifles, but I may never buy one simply because I think that barrel nut is uglier than a can of smashed assholes.

I think that barrel nut is uglier than a can of smashed assholes.

I think that was ugly of you to say that. Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Ruger and Tikka, just to name a few, use a ugly barrel nut on some of their rifles. Savage is doing something right for all those companies to mimic them. Savage set the bar. When I look through my NXS at that sub half inch group I can't see that "mean ole barrel nut".

What's wrong with calling something the way you see it? Or an honest opinion. While it may be of value it's still unattractive to me esp. when viewing the rifle from the side. It's ugly on rifles other than Savage IMO. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean that you shouldn't. FWIW I think the schnabel forend is just about the ugliest thing ever put on a rifle. To each their own. I'm not downgrading your choice/s; just validating my own.

BTW, I do own a Rem 783 that bought for another family member who is right handed, so there's that.

Last edited:
This is definitely off the main topic of the OP but nothing wrong with stating an opinion. That's who we are here on LRH, and we keep it civil, most of the time.

I used to be a Remington man, loved the original Sendero's and nobody could tell me different. However, I really liked the Savage for it's accuracy but the triggers and stocks were horrible from an accuracy enhancing standpoint. After you replaced the trigger with a Timney (only option 30-40yrs ago) you still had the "Tuperware" stock to deal with and I just dealt with it. This was back when "LRH" was considered unethical and if you did it you just didn't say a lot about it.
Fast forward: Savage listened to the shooting community about the triggers and stocks (Accu-Trigger & Accu-Stock) and made accuracy enhancing products that did just that. They even changed the looks of the barrel nut, which for me has never been an issue.
Since all this I have shot the barrels out on a throuple of rifles and replaced them with after market pre-fit barrels from Lothar Walther, Shilen and Pac-Nor. All by me at my dining room table with the assistance of my kids and YouTube. That was made possible because of that "ugly barrel nut" and has given me a greater appreciation for the model 110 design and Savage in general.
I still have a couple of Remington's. One factory 700P and one customized by Allen Precision. If/when the barrels start going South, not sure what I'll do with them (may be Remage barrel & nut).
So I hear what your saying but I have never understood why people talk about that "ugly barrel nut". 99% of the Savages I have dealt with shot much better than other brands I've personally dealt with. I guess I look at it from a performance standpoint but I will agree with you on the Schnabel forend. :)

"There, now we can be friends again" (Doc Holiday from Tombstone) LoL

I thought my description of ugly might draw a chuckle or 2. There is a Savage Axis .270 LH on clearance for $280 down the road from me, but man I don't need another rifle. I'll be long gone before any of the aftermarket "barrel nut" stuff ever reaches the popularity of the ol 700. I've got 6 a them, but none are "as issued".

can of smashed assholes.
I thought my description of ugly might draw a chuckle or 2. There is a Savage Axis .270 LH on clearance for $280 down the road from me, but man I don't need another rifle. I'll be long gone before any of the aftermarket "barrel nut" stuff ever reaches the popularity of the ol 700. I've got 6 a them, but none are "as issued".

I lol'd.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.