"Inherently more accurate"

No one can prove that any one cartridge shape is inherently better than another.

Someone pointed out in the beginning about horizontal accuracy (wind) and vertical accuracy.

We also shouldn't forget market share and advertising.

A 300 WSM is going to do better in the wind than a 22 PPC at 1000 yards. And a 22PPC appears to be better at 100 yard shooting that the 300WSM. The reasons for the 1000 yard shooting is pretty self explanatory. High BCs carry themselves well to the end. My guess with the 100 yards is that a 22PPC is less stressful on the shooter AND the equipment provided the equipment is the same.

Market share. This is easy to explain. Who wants to shoot a 50 BMG just to punch holes at 100 yards in a match with toggle wright limits? Naturally the smaller stuff will come to bear. 1000 out of 1000 competitors will pick a smaller caliber. Not because it's "better" but because they do just fine. So there's more of them.

Comparing the 260 versus the 6.5CM. I seriously doubt anyone can actually price that one is more accurate than the other. However we can prove that the CM can give you the same results with less powder. If you're a reloader and a competitive shooter that can add up to a few bucks. Especially if you're shooting 3000 rounds a month. That's a few pounds of powder. 40-60 bucks a month over the course of a few years can add up. Plus there the barrel longevity argument. It would stand to reason that less powder will eat less barrel given everything else is the same. Money matters if you don't have a sponsor or ten. So naturally more people will lean towards the efficient case shapes.

Continuing with market share. If everyone is using the same 10-30 different cartridges then that's what the manufacturers are going to produce. Lapua isn't going to produce 22 hornet and 45-70 cases anytime soon. There's no money in them.

I mentioned advertising. Hornady has done a wonderful job with the Creedmoor ads. So did Nike and Budweiser. We're all suckers to a good ad. It is what it is.

We're also suckers to GOAT. "Greatest Of All Time." We talk are going to use what the winners are using. It's just human nature. The last winner used a tool/toy so I'm going to too.

Much of this had already been said. And it's all psychology. Use what you will. You'll do the best with what suits you. Not with what someone says is "inherently more accurate".

Ask people that shot the old .222 Remington if a cartridge
can be inherently accurate. I think they will tell you yes.
When it came out the bench rest guys immediately turned
to it. Better, more accurate, cartridges have come out since.
Zeke

p66_orig.png

That target is ALMOST enough to make me quit the game.

No one can prove that any one cartridge shape is inherently better than another.
Not true. Precision Shooting Magazine, among others, published a lot of articles over the years that reported the findings of research that demonstrated the opposite of what you are claiming. These studies were not unverified opinion based but the results of verifiable research.Bottom line? Some cartridges are more capable of high degrees of accuracy than others. So by whatever term you choose to call it...be it "inherent" or
another it remains true and truth is correspondence to reality.
For example, Palmisano and Pindel did not develop the 6mm PPC just "on a hunch". They did research on factors such as caliber, bullet weight, brass size, and powder height and column width among other factors to develop that cartridge.

Last edited:
p66_orig.png

That target is ALMOST enough to make me quit the game.
The story is on Accurate shooter. He set up wind flags like it was a 100yd match. And like is being discussed about cases started a trend that will change the game!

Just how accurate do you want to be? If one gun can hit the eye ball and another can hit the pupil at 100 yards, does it make any difference? They both have the same result! Build a rifle to specs you want with a twist to optimize the style and weight bullet you want and I don't think you'd see very much difference between the two. If anything, the CM might have edge because of slightly less recoil. I'll take the 260 or even better, the 260AI and suffer(sic) the added recoil for the increase the velocity. On second thought, I'd rather have the 6.5 SAUM or Sherman. Sheese! When is this debate going to end! Get the CM if you want less recoil. Get the 260 if you want slightly better ballistics. On second thought get both and you can end this debate. (At least for you)

Case capacity, fill ratio, and powder burn rate coupled with the correct bullet(an accurate one such as the Berger 210 or 215). The larger the case capacity for a given bore diameter the harder it is to keep in tune long range with very few caveats. Most people who do all their load development at 100 yards will never be able to comprehend the concept because they are not doing any tuning long range. It does matter.
The 50 Cal dominates long range sniping. It is the rifle made for the 50 cal that makes the caliber accurate. Look at the cheytac calibers and the rifles made for them. they build the rifle around the cartridge.

Went to local Sportsmans today.....while gallavanting around I went to the ammo section....to be absolutely honest...didnt see any 260 boxes..but should be at least 1 or 2 boxes in there....
DID NOT SEE ONE BOX OF 65284....not even an empty spot for them...
27 boxes of 65 cm......that is 27 boxes of different ammo on the shelf...different gr bullets and different factories....
I guess if you chose correctly..or incorrectly...you could actually choose an 'inherently accurate ammo...or inherently inaccurate ammo"....the choice is yours......

Just how accurate do you want to be? If one gun can hit the eye ball and another can hit the pupil at 100 yards, does it make any difference? They both have the same result! Build a rifle to specs you want with a twist to optimize the style and weight bullet you want and I don't think you'd see very much difference between the two. If anything, the CM might have edge because of slightly less recoil. I'll take the 260 or even better, the 260AI and suffer(sic) the added recoil for the increase the velocity. On second thought, I'd rather have the 6.5 SAUM or Sherman. Sheese! When is this debate going to end! Get the CM if you want less recoil. Get the 260 if you want slightly better ballistics. On second thought get both and you can end this debate. (At least for you)

Went to local Sportsmans today.....while gallavanting around I went to the ammo section....to be absolutely honest...didnt see any 260 boxes..but should be at least 1 or 2 boxes in there....
DID NOT SEE ONE BOX OF 65284....not even an empty spot for them...
27 boxes of 65 cm......that is 27 boxes of different ammo on the shelf...different gr bullets and different factories....
I guess if you chose correctly..or incorrectly...you could actually choose an 'inherently accurate ammo...or inherently inaccurate ammo"....the choice is yours......

Guys please re-read my very first post. The question was what does "inherently more accurate" mean?

When I asked my thoughts were that most folks looking for the best accuracy are going to be reloading. My 260 is a deer rifle and I load for it because I want the best accuracy, not just minute of deer. If that were the case I'd just buy it from my local lgs. Also reloading is another hobby I enjoy.

I've wanted to ask this for a long time, there have been some interesting answers.

Thanks, Justin

So here it is. Several considerations can be made to aid in a more consistent powder burn pressure curve. Regardless of rifle and load components or case it is only those that eat, breath, sleep, and otherwise live in the competitive shooting world that can argue or might benefit from such "Inherit Accuracy". To market a cartridge as such to the general hunting and shooting public is just to prove "there is one born every minute". (And they all buy 6.5 Creed ammo by the case):confused:

Dude...your question has been answered a thousand different ways.....
Whether its rhe rifle..the ammo..the barrel..or the cartridge itself......
There are way too many companies pumping out 65cm to have something random working so well....
The amount of ammo on the shelf is also showing you your answer.....seems rhat the entire package of a 65cm is or could be "inherently accurate"....whether from a shelf from a store or a gunsmith shop.....

Dude...your question has been answered a thousand different ways.....
Whether its rhe rifle..the ammo..the barrel..or the cartridge itself......
There are way too many companies pumping out 65cm to have something random working so well....
The amount of ammo on the shelf is also showing you your answer.....seems rhat the entire package of a 65cm is or could be "inherently accurate"....whether from a shelf from a store or a gunsmith shop.....

Yes Dude.... it has. The 6.5 CM is a great cartridge by design. The fact that you can buy ammo at your drug store is all about marketing, it has nothing to with accuracy. If that was the case .22 rimfire would be super accurate and we all know what that animal is.

Have only shot a 260 rem and 65284...in my loading and testing the 260 didn't shoot factory ammo worth a beans...but i was able find a load that it shot bugholes...and it is an off the shelf ruger compact....16" factory rifle...
The 65284....still haven't gotten the desired finished rifle i want out of it...and today at about 3 times more money into it...although i haven't shot factory loads i have shot many handloads.....
I believe in "inherently accurate" as the blanket statement that something about the 65creed works....handloads or factory....if you can buy that rifle and walk to the shelf and buy loaded ammo or load your own on someone else data....does the gun know you really exist...or maybe everybody and their dog are now gifted marksman....
I have shot a huge variety of rifle calibers....seems my particular rifles just don't shoot as good as i like or as good as i think they should.....but when i build loads for others...they all come in rather quickly......maybe i should just quit shooting...and use them as clubs......
I own a ruger compact 260, and with fact ammo, (I've tried all I can think of) I can't get any better than a 3.5-4" group. I don't reload. Any suggestions? Having the barrel crowned? Barrell has been floated.