"Inherently more accurate"

justinp61

I see this term tossed around a lot, especially in any of the many 260 vrs the 6.5 CM threads. It probably comes up in the .243 vrs 6 CM too. I don't know as I don't own either. If you built a 30 CM or a 7mm CM would it be more accurate than a 308 or a 7mm/08? If the CM case design is "inherently more accurate" wouldn't it be?

Can someone define this please? Not looking for opinions, just facts. Using the 260/6.5 CM as examples. Has anyone built two rifles as identical as they can be, found the best loads for both and has the data to back up the 'inherently more accurate" statement? Has the data been verified with other identical (as can be) rifles? Say, 600 yards.

I'm not looking for a debate, argument or you can buy ammo at your local quick stop type replies. There are other post where you can do that.

BTW, I have a 260 but I don't think it's better than a CM but I also don't think it gives up anything either. My rig is a deer rifle, 22" pencil barrel, personally I don't think deer, coyotes or groundhogs can tell the difference.

So, if someone has some data based on testing that defines what makes one cartridge "inherently more accurate" than another cartridge please post it up.

Thanks, Justin

Here we go again ...

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

You will not get facts here. You will get approximately 300 different opinions. If you want facts go look at what bench resters/flcassers are winning with and setting records with. 6BR and improved, 6.5x284, 7SAUM, 300WSM. The 6 and the 30 are ruling right now. The 6br/improved, SAUM and WSM are just easier to make accurate and keep in tune which most shooters can't even comprehend.

You will not get facts here. You will get approximately 300 different opinions. If you want facts go look at what bench resters/flcassers are winning with and setting records with. 6BR and improved, 6.5x284, 7SAUM, 300WSM. The 6 and the 30 are ruling right now. The 6br/improved, SAUM and WSM are just easier to make accurate and keep in tune which most shooters can't even comprehend.

Understood. But what makes them more accurate?

Understood. But what makes them more accurate?
Case capacity, fill ratio, and powder burn rate coupled with the correct bullet(an accurate one such as the Berger 210 or 215). The larger the case capacity for a given bore diameter the harder it is to keep in tune long range with very few caveats. Most people who do all their load development at 100 yards will never be able to comprehend the concept because they are not doing any tuning long range. It does matter.

Have only shot a 260 rem and 65284...in my loading and testing the 260 didn't shoot factory ammo worth a beans...but i was able find a load that it shot bugholes...and it is an off the shelf ruger compact....16" factory rifle...
The 65284....still haven't gotten the desired finished rifle i want out of it...and today at about 3 times more money into it...although i haven't shot factory loads i have shot many handloads.....
I believe in "inherently accurate" as the blanket statement that something about the 65creed works....handloads or factory....if you can buy that rifle and walk to the shelf and buy loaded ammo or load your own on someone else data....does the gun know you really exist...or maybe everybody and their dog are now gifted marksman....
I have shot a huge variety of rifle calibers....seems my particular rifles just don't shoot as good as i like or as good as i think they should.....but when i build loads for others...they all come in rather quickly......maybe i should just quit shooting...and use them as clubs......

^^^ This^^^
CM is not more inherently accurate than a 260 or 243 something. Shorter powder columns though do seem to be more inherently accurate than long cartridges like a 300 Win mag or similar . This is mostly due to the short powder column which tends to get a more uniform burn of the powder. Also the powders used in short cartridges are faster burning powders which tend to enhance accuracy as well.