I Really Need a Psychiatrist!

I feel your pain!
images.jpg
just have a good time.
Hope you solve this soon.

This may seem silly, but any time we begin to confess "I have xxx problem", it reinforces that problem in our minds. People can self talk themselves into anything, positive or negative. Being aware of the issues you HAD (emphasis on past tense), make your mind believe they're solved and simply execute whatever it is you're doing. This tactic has worked well for me in other competition... and life

Last edited:
The saga continues...took the wife hog hunting yesterday. Had to re-zero today...

Most likely not the best day to try and fix this....
2018-02-18 16.13.57.jpg

Dialed the wrong way...on shot 4...should not taken this rifle hog hunting yesterday.

2018-02-18 16.09.19.jpg

Shot number 4 I adjusted up and not down...in the orange high...lol

Good news I'm doing better on the gun...

I had some issues when I was younger with recoil/flinching and target panic. Finally got over it but it took some time. Went to smaller calibers to help with the recoil issue. The target panic took some work though. I literally got where I'd dry fire 20-30 min a day and shoot at least once a week. That helped me reinforce a good trigger break and the other fundamentals. I'm starting to get into the PRS type matches now and when I first started shooting off barricades I almost took some steps back. The cross hair would be all over the place and I'd want to snatch it when it crossed the target. But just slowed down some and focused on the fundamentals and it went away. I just try to float it around the target and focus on a clean break. 9 times out of 10 it'll go where it's supposed to. Good luck with it though. I know it can be aggravating. But I feel that familiarity with the rifle will help a lot too so go dry fire and put some rounds down range.

PS- I had target panic BAD with archery. That's where I got the floating the cross hair over the target idea from. Worked for archery so figured I'd give it a go.

View attachment 91175
Captured this image out of one of my videos before I went to try and quailfy. The one on the right is 4 or 5 inch...these are at 400yds. The one just hit and swinging is 2 or 3 inches. That was first try after hitting the one on the right...also first shot.
Didn't read all of the thread, so if someone else mentioned this, I agree with them.:cool:

Many will disagree with me but I think you should look at getting a high quality trigger that can be set less than a pound. Heavy trigger is difficult to get a good squeeze on. As soon as the trigger starts getting heavy under your finger you start to anticipate the shot. I use a trigger on my hunting rifles that is just heavy enough that I can feel it under my finger before it goes off.

Steve

I had already qualified but had one more target so I shot 5 guick shots just for grins....
2018-02-18 18.29.39.jpg

I didn't change a thing...same everythin...

Still pulled one high...but that's more how good the gun shoots.

Last edited:
This may have been asked too, so I apologize if it has. Have you let anyone else try and qualify with your rifle?

Steve

No no one else has ever fired it.

I'm going to let the wife quailfy with it next weekend. She has nto been shooting but about 9 months. She doesn't have any bad habits yet.

I know a guy who shoots a lot of 1,000yd matches. I'm hoping to get him on the trigger soon.

But I'm postie it's me. The gun shoots too good at times...matter of fact...all of my 6.5's shoot great...until I get behind them...lol

Seriously all my groups look about the same...one will be a bit loose and one goes way out....three will be right there...I could show you pictures of many targets that look just like that. Shot by seveal different rifles.

Darn...
All you you guys need a psychiatrist....
I just need a physiotherapist who keeps my trigger finger from pulling into the next daylight savings time zone

I'm the same way, I can shoot the stems off apples that are still in a tree but if it's neon and there's people around my brain doesn't want to balance the rifle.

I learned to balance my rifle like the sillouette shooters, and it makes all the difference at a range. I also like to sandbag my rifle and literally strap sand bags or lead to the stock to add weight for bench shooting.

It's the kind of feeling you get when you drive someone else's car or switch from a compact car to a truck, an internal imbalance, I think a lot of it has to do with your inner ear and the mechanics of muscle memory, the weights force me out of any patterns and attempting to balance the stock in a silhouette position retrain my brain to find balance again with the fluids in my inner ear. Plugs vs earmuffs might affect it too.

I like to cover my targets with a paper bag except for the bullseye and tape a cardboard paper towel tube to the bullseye sticking out, something about forcing my brain to work with impossible tunnel vision actually makes my shooting better even though I can't see my target.

I've also gotten Jimi Hendrix stuck in my head and the range noise all seemed to go with the rhythm of All along the watchtower.

My friends mom has a Vertigo illness and she looses balance in every day life and gets very sick over it and she's going through physical therapy to train her brain to not overreact to mundane everyday things that mess with the balance in her inner ear.

You might be dealing with more of a heightened sensitivity at the range, and that may just be more of a strength than a weakness if you train it.

I had my first bout with vertigo this past summer...found it was my eating the little meat sticks at the maverick stores....all the preservatives in those things just filled me up I guess....not much of a salt eater....didn't have any for quite some time..had one, one morning and bang....back to spinnng....then hadn't had any again....Christmas.. received a package of the summer sausage..same thing........no more of that stuff...
Thought I was all finished with that.....yeah right...can't figure out why but it hit me again three weeks ago...and I am tired of it...
Lay down in bed and head starts to feel funny..instant nausea and then the room starts spinning.......sit down on the couch and look left and nausea and spinning........sucks....

If you really want to work on "Target Panic", get the book Psycho-Cybernetics by Dr. Maxwell Maltz. I was turned on to the book back in the late 70's when I learned that Leo Camarillo gave a copy to all the ropers who attended their team roping clinics. There is nothing in the book about roping or shooting, but there is a lot in the book about roping and shooting. I found it a very interesting read.

I'm gonna add that to my amazon shopping list.

Your description reminds me of Richard Brautigan - 'Trout fishing in America'

There's nothing in the book about trout fishing but a lot in the book about trout fishing.... and port wine

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.