I need a PDA

ICANHITHIMMAN, I bought two used Dell AXIM X50V 's off fleabay. Paid less than $150 for them about 6 months ago. I also bought a new extended life battery for $13. I put it in a rhino case ( aluminum case $21.) and carry it in my drag bag. I have the Night Force program and it runs it fine. I also put the program on the second one and leave it in the truck. That way if I am out of state on a hunting trip I have a back up for emergencies. I have never had the battery go down in the field, but I charge at night every few days. I also carry a small zipper pouch in my drag bag that has a spare battery for my rangefinder, the pda, and Kestrel. I have used this pda a bunch this season and have no complaints.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Broz, JAWS, & squirrelduster and others for sharing your experiences and suggestions. Now I've got a few solid options provided and I'll go with a PPC - primarily because I know MS Windows well and I might as well stick with an operating system I'm thoroughly familiar with. I'm still thinking Dell Axim X51V and I think a spare battery will be good insurance policy.

Really appreciate you all chipping in with your advice!

phorwath

please stay away, from windows pda. are peace of junk... the baterries life is half, and lots of crashes.

if you decide to get a pda just for hunting, then go under $50.00, because in case of broking, lost, damage the unit, you will not feel the pain.
in hunting situation, my self personally, i brocked 2 unit displayes, just laind down to take the shot on some rocks. the unit was on the chest pocket, and i just laid down, cracking the display.
this happend to me.

I bought a new Del Axiom 30 and yes it will run the ExBall program (as well as others, I beleive) but twice it wiped out my program and I had buy another chip, battery life is too short IMHO.
I finally broke down and bought one that is as close to bullet proof that I am aware of.

Nomad.jpg

They are not cheap but they are rough rugged and water proof and will do about any thing that a lap top will

I've been using the Palm Tungsten E2's as of late. All three work well and battery life is very good. The Tungsten E's are more economical but battery life suffers a bit.

I've also used the old Palms with no complaints. Whatever you buy make sure you can get a cheap replacement battery for it. You never know what your going to get when you buy used.

Hey folks.....
I have a Sharp Zaurus 5500 (Linux os). Can exbal be installed?
I got the Zaurus in an attempt to leave windoze behind, a few years ago-it didn't work out that way :(

Or do I go the way the rest of you and get an axiom or tungsten?

Thanks for your help!

Hey folks.....
I have a Sharp Zaurus 5500 (Linux os). Can exbal be installed?
I got the Zaurus in an attempt to leave windoze behind, a few years ago-it didn't work out that way :(

Or do I go the way the rest of you and get an axiom or tungsten?

Thanks for your help!

Exbal will run on OS or Windows Platform.
Just go and ask Perry about the linux.

I have seen alot of issues with the palm versions of Exbal. I would definately go with the PPC version. Find a Dell AXIM and of them will work as long as it says AXIM on it. You should be able to find it on EBAY for 60.00 or less, buy 1 or 2 extended life batteries while your there. Then get one for the small pellican cases like I stock to protect it. When you buy your Exbal for it get the SD card version and simply plug it in. This should cure most of your field issues. They are delicate so keep it in the case. The case will also keep it warm enough to work even when it is cold out. My first one would not work below 30 degrees and the screen froze and broke at 6 degrees, the second one broke the screen when I laid down my pack on a rock. If you keep them cased they run well and last quite a while.

Re: Dell Axim PPC

Good to see I headed in the right direction! I've got a Dell Axim X51V on the way so I'm happy to read your post recommending a Dell Axim for the PPC version of Exbal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.