I need your knowledge

straightshooter

Just starting off with long range shooting. I'm doing the back ground work to try and start off right. I already shoot a lot, but mostly at 100 yards for accuracy and field position practice (off hand, kneeling, sitting etc.). I already do my own reloading. My main goals will be, to learn what it takes to build a long distance rifle, learn more about caliber selection for the intended use, to see how far I can extend my one shot hit range on a 12" target. I don't mind carrying a heavy rifle, I have owned a Remington Sendero in a 300 wm. I hunt elk almost exclusively, but once in a while I will hunt for deer. I know to hone my shooting ability I will first need the right equipment, training, and practice to get to were I want to be. I don't see myself doing any long range hunting any time soon, but I am open to the idea if I have enough confidence in my shooting ability. I need a rifle caliber combo that will allow me to practice a lot, and maybe compete in f-class shooting, as well as do my elk hunting out to 300 yards. If I ever make the decision to do any long range hunting, I hope to have already gained the knowledge I will need to select the caliber and build a dedicated rifle. I am married with 2 kids, and this is only my hobby, sport, and entertainment, so funds are tight, I will need the most bang for my buck. I am looking mainly for help selecting one rifle caliber scope combo to start learning with and still be able to use it for elk hunting. The 308 in a heavy barreled Savage or Remington has already been suggested and that sounds great to me from what I already know. Just wondering if anyone has something else to recommend.

ss,
Quite a combo of things in one gun.
I would go with a 7mm-08 or possibly a 284 Win over the 308. I have taken quite a few elk with the same performance you would get in a 7-08 rifle. For your LR shooting you have better BC's for bullet weight in the 7 verses the 30 cal. You will have long throat life and it will take you to 1K as well.
For a number of years I used a 7mm shooting a 140 grain bullet @ 2750 for everything from PD's to elk and used to pop steel at long range.
I wouldn't use the 140 grain today for everything though.
The 260 rem would be another option, but I prefer the 7mm for elk over the 6.5.

The .308 is my favorite cartridge for a lot of reasons - but long range elk hunting is not really its strong point. There are a lot of better cartridges out there for that. I wouldn't hesitate to zap an elk at 300 yards with a .308, but at 600 I'd be wishing I had a magnum. Maybe that's just me. I have a lot of respect for the strength of a big bull elk and their ability to move away after being hit.

F-class is perfect for a .308 or a 7mm-08 though. With the .308 you can enter F/TR and shoot against a bunch of other guys with .308's as well, instead of going head to head against the 6.5-284's and .243 AI's and all those other hot rod cartridges that really shine at long range. Nice to level the playing field. Also the .308 is amazingly easy to load for, there are many combinations that will generate excellent accuracy. Barrel life is exceptional too. Pulled my last Krieger at 5600 rounds and was still shooting "high master" scores in NRA prone competition with it - but not getting very many X's anymore. It was time to retire that barrel.

The 7-08 option is an excellent one too. It performs better at longer ranges, and there are really nice long-range bullets available for it. Barrel life should still be quite good, although I haven't messed with one. Do run into them from time to time on the firing line and I like what I see from that cartridge. Strongly suspect it's a better all-around cartridge than "my" .308 Win.

Either of them seems a bit light for big bull elk at long range... That's my only concern. I'm not a real experienced elk hunter. Have taken only one big bull, mostly I hunt mule deer, so weigh that into your decision too. I may be making too big a thing of the elk at long range.

Regards, Guy

After reading guy's post it reminded me of something I should have said the first time around. All of my shots on elk were calm animals with a clean broadside presentation. None of the elk went over 10 feet, 2 were medium sized bulls and the rest cows. All were 353 yards or under with one exception.

I have a Savage 300 WM BVSS and it shoots great too 1000 yds, 200gr AB's and H-1000. Savage trigger is great, and gun is already bedded out of the box. Very easy to load for and will work on deer and elk. My gun weighs less than 14lbs loaded with bi-pod, bullets, scope, etc. A good scope, base and rings and your ready for F-Class or elk to your mentioned range and further.

My first rifle will just be to learn on. I will not be doing any long range hunting for at least a couple of years. I don't see the use of having 2 rifles, the money spent on the second I could put into a good quality scope or stock etc., so I would like a caliber I could use when I go elk hunting. I only need average hunting distances for now, for me that is 300 yards max. I understand that this rifle will be heavy, not to concerned about that. A suggestion to me on this sight was to go with the 308 and then when I was ready I could have it chambered for a 300 wsm. That idea sounds pretty good.

I am leaning toward getting a Savage 12fv 308 and replacing the stock with something that is adjustable. This idea isn't set yet though, so if anyone has a better idea I am all ears. If I gain the skill for long range hunting, elk will always be the main hunt.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but what is the difference between the Savage 12fv, and the Law Enforcement Series Model 10fcp HS Precision besides the stock?

You said you hunt elk almost exclusively. Then you should be looking at an elk rifle which will do an effective job on elk in all elk situations. If you want a little rifle for short range elk a 325 short mag would do you and you don't have tp worry about upgrading later. You said you could spend that money on a scope later. A 338 win mag would be great. If you wanted to wildcat a little and stay off the magnums then a 338 gibbs, 338-06 imp., 35 whelen imp., etc. Lots of choices but get an elk rifle if that is what your hunting. Don't go with a marginal weapon when you can actually get one that works for the same money.

WyomingShooter, I just read the article on this sight about building an inexpensive long range rifle. As I am very interested in gaining knowledge about what it takes to have a good quality long range rifle, I am now thinking of building up on the Stevens action. I can get a 300wm or a 7mm mag long action. Any thoughts on one of these cal. for a first long range rig? I would be swapping out the barrel pretty, quickly so I could go with a different cal. I just need the right size action. If I went this route what cal would you suggest? Remember I will need to practice a lot!

I would go with the larger caliber since you are hunting elk so I would say the 300wm long action. Then when you wanted to upgrade you could screw a 338-300 ultramag on there and have a real nice longrange elk gun that can easily carry you out to 1k yards. I have seen those savage 111's in 300 ultramag advertised for right at $300 for an inexpensive rifle. Then you don't have to upgrade and buy new dies, and loading stuff. You can learn one rifle and go with it.

Thanks for the advice. Seems every time I start to make up my mind on the direction to start something comes up. Just read another post what one guy went through having his rifle built. It cost him a lot of down time. Since I can only afford to have one rifle right now, I can't afford that much down time. Looks like I will be stuck with a production rifle to start, and build up on it one step at a time. Any suggestions!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.