NF program, do I need a chrony?

wadevb1

I just finished watching Shawn Carlock's DVD. I should mention great buy for a guy starting to click. One segment where Shawn was explaning the Exbal program, he sighted in at 100 but was off two MOA at an extended distance. After Shawn validated the 2 MOA correction, the program gave the correct FPS and automatically corrected his drop chart.

Did I understand that correctly? I do have a quality chrony on the short list, but after a recent ankle break and surgery the live in financial adviser wouldn't understand. I hope Exbal will get me by for a few months.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Wade

Last edited:
If you don't own a chronograph you can still do everything just fine if you are willing to work at things a little.

You can use an "estimated" velocity and an "estimated" BC in Exbal and by trial and error adjust each of them until you make it fit your drop data. If you have about five drop data points such as 100 yards, 300 yards, 500 yards, 700 yards and 1000 yards, then there is only one true solution that will fit that data. You cannot have a wrong BC and/or a wrong velocity and fit that many data points.

Now then, there is no free lunch and sometimes a BC changes enough with different velocities then you can have a lot of trouble fitting a curve but a chronograph measuring muzzle velocity will not help you in that case anyway.

exbal

I have exbal-lx and think it is the best program out there. It works very well and handles nearly all loads etc. Clearly tells you how to handle the scope and what MOA adjustments are needed. Since the program is interactive, it will work best with a smartphone or similar running a portable windows device.

bob chronister

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.