stock model 70 300WSM what do I need?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tlbrooks, Aug 25, 2011.

1. tlbrooks

tlbrooks Member

I have a stock Winchester model 70 Black Shadow in 300WSM and would like to make it into a viable long range rig. What are the most important things to do to make this a true long range hunting rifle? I know it needs a new stock and needs to be bedded and I'm sure a trigger job or after market trigger is a must but should I consider re-barreling? And what about scopes? I have a couple of Leupold long range side focus scopes I could use. One is a VXIII 6.5-20x40, 30mm tube with the long range reticle and the other is the same scope in a 4.5-14x40. Would these work? It looks like this round is capable of 1000 yard performance on deer sized game and maybe a couple hundred yards less for elk. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have it figured out. The scopes should be fine. Just remember You can make any gun shoot accurate, JUST ADD MONEY.

3. 270winshort

270winshort Well-Known Member

both sccopes will work great I would choose the 6.5X20 if your not going to be in close shooting conditions sounds like your on the wright track, as for the re-barreling if it is a new barrel there is always a chance with a proper break in that it will shoot fine, give it a try ,then if it wont shoot go for the re-barrel. me and one of my buddies both have factory guns one of them being a 300 wsm, he has killed deer out past a 1000 yrds with the 168 bergers but we did do all the work on the rifles that you are talking about. I would also recommend a jewel trigger if it is in the budget . good luck