Hunting with a suppressors (aka-silencer) question?

Hunting with a suppressor poll

• I would hunt with a suppressor if I legally could.

Votes: 85 53.1%
  • I would not hunt with a suppressor if it was legal.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Suppressors are legal and I do hunt with one.

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • Suppressors are legal but I do not hunt with one.

Votes: 22 13.8%

• Total voters
You don't need paperwork to go across state lines unless you have a SBR or machine-gun. Silencers don't need additional forms like SBR's,etc.

Not legal here in Wyoming and I hope it stays that way. When people are blazing away, especially some of the idiots around here, I like knowing where the shooting is coming from...

I am in the process of getting approval from BATF for my first suppressor. I plan on using it for biggame hunting in Texas, Co, NM and hopefully Wyoming. I am doing this for the sole purpose of salvaging what is left of my hearing. Between serving with the U.S. Army mechanized infantry and many years of hunting with shotgun and rifle my ears have taken a beating. I think I am at the point that if I cannot shoot with a suppressor (along with other ear protection) I will not hunt in that state.

My rifles are fitted with silencers, and I'm in the process of looking for silencers for my shotguns too.
One of my friends has a Hushpower fitted to his s/a Bennelli 12gauge, and it is a real pleasure to use.

My rifles are fitted with silencers, and I'm in the process of looking for silencers for my shotguns too.
One of my friends has a Hushpower fitted to his s/a Bennelli 12gauge, and it is a real pleasure to use.

l.jpg

In Australia as far as I'm aware it's agianst the law to use a suppressor the only guy I know who uses one legally is a bloke who shoots kangaroos at a cemetery that's over run with kangaroos and he's limited to a .22LR and he has extremly strict rules he has to follow. I'd love to be able to use a suppressor, what are the pros and cons of using a suppressor besides reduced noise, reduced muzzle flash and reduced recoil. Do suppressors loose there noise reduction after a while? My knowledge on them are limited but I'm interested to know how long they last before you have to replace them

I have only had mine for a couple months, but according to the mfg., it will not wear out. And he said, if something on it fails, bring it back and he will fix it. I didnt wear any ear protection on Sunday while out shooting. I am pretty much deaf in one ear, so saving the other one is imperative. It's truly the best thing since sliced bread for me. I do not notice any performance issues as well.

i have them on all 6 of my rifles,here in the UK you apply for one under the terms of health and safety to reduce damage to your ears,under that reason they can not say no as then you can claim against them for any ear damage

Wyoming's suppressor bill was shot down in flames yesterday. I'm glad to see it. If someone's too lazy to put in ear plug's, they probably need to find a different sport. With next year being a budget session, soonest it might be brought back up would be 2014. The WY G&F, Wyoming Game Wardens Association and a number of conservation/hunting groups also opposed the bill. Here's a one for common sense and fair chase...

Wyoming's suppressor bill was shot down in flames yesterday. I'm glad to see it. If someone's too lazy to put in ear plug's, they probably need to find a different sport. With next year being a budget session, soonest it might be brought back up would be 2014. The WY G&F, Wyoming Game Wardens Association and a number of conservation/hunting groups also opposed the bill. Here's a one for common sense and fair chase...

This is LongRange Hunting, some of us have taken game close to, at, or over 1000yds. How does that fit in with your so called common sense? or fair chase for that matter? To hear you speak of suppressors the way you do goes to show how unbelievably ignorant people can be. You arguement reminds me of the liberal thinking of firearms. I don't want/need one so no one does. Well then, not everyone needs a 338, I guess we might as well make sure no one gets one of those either.

If someone's too lazy to respect the different views of fellow outdoorsmen, they probably need to find a different forum.

t

Real easy. Probably 98% of the hunters in WY haven't taken big game out to a 1000 yards, which shows how ignorant your response is.

"If someone's too lazy to respect the different views of fellow outdoorsmen, they probably need to find a different forum."

If that's yer belief, sounds like you need to go chew some of yer own cabbage. Know what I mean...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.