Hunting with a suppressors (aka-silencer) question?

Hunting with a suppressor poll

• I would hunt with a suppressor if I legally could.

Votes: 85 53.1%
  • I would not hunt with a suppressor if it was legal.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Suppressors are legal and I do hunt with one.

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • Suppressors are legal but I do not hunt with one.

Votes: 22 13.8%

• Total voters
Real easy. Probably 98% of the hunters in WY haven't taken big game out to a 1000 yards, nor are they long range hunters which shows how ignorant your response is.

"If someone's too lazy to respect the different views of fellow outdoorsmen, they probably need to find a different forum."

If that's yer belief, sounds like you need to go chew some of yer own cabbage. Know what I mean...

Actually I do know what you mean. The difference is, when I encounter something I don't like I chanllenge it with fact, logic & reasoning.

You say that supressors some how compromise the morals of a fair chase hunt. Yet game animals harvested at pretty much any distance never hear the shot that kills them. Yet supressing the sound of that shot at the benefit of the hunter is somehow out of the question. Do you care to expound you reasoning for your stance?

You state that 98% of the hunters in Wy haven't taken game animals at extended ranges. I agree, no doubt Billy Bob & Dale Jr are not experienced in that field. Yet, they probably don't wear seat belts either. I'm going to guess that my last point doesn't make sense, please alow me explain. It's about the ability to increase the safety factors surrounding the shooter/hunter. Seatbelts protect Duh-wayne from injury in the case of an incident. A supressor has the ability to protect the hunter (and his spotter) from injury in the form of hearing damage & recoil. On a secondary point, they allow the shooter, spotter & any other bystanders the ability to communcate clearly & easily; effectively increasing the overall situational awareness & yet again increasing the overall safety factor.

Of the 98% of Wyoming shooters that have never taken game & extended ranges, I don't see any of them (minus one) that stand center stage of a forum dedicated to a sport they know little of telling their peers their choices to utilize a piece of equipment they know little about isimmoral & out of the question because the soap box says so.

Thank you for making that decision for me, keep up the good work, I see you have a valuable skillset in politics.

t

It's unfortunate that suppressors did not make it in WY, I was hoping it would and maybe MT would take a look at it also.
I see nothing but positive with them, they certainly do not give you any advantage hunting since they do nothing for you until you pull the trigger and the hunt is ended They may give you a better chance at a clean follow up if needed which is a positive for sure, I've seen better followup opportunities with a muzzle brake as well so I don't see any difference there.
If your relying on shots from other hunters to warn you it's a little late if your are actually in danger so they will not affect personal safety in any way, may actually help since the shooter will be much more aware of his surroundings!!

The anti hunting crowd is really pushing noise pollution from shooting as a problem on public lands, suppressors would really help us in this as well!!!!

It's unfortunate that suppressors did not make it in WY, I was hoping it would and maybe MT would take a look at it also.
I see nothing but positive with them, they certainly do not give you any advantage hunting since they do nothing for you until you pull the trigger and the hunt is ended They may give you a better chance at a clean follow up if needed which is a positive for sure, I've seen better followup opportunities with a muzzle brake as well so I don't see any difference there.
If your relying on shots from other hunters to warn you it's a little late if your are actually in danger so they will not affect personal safety in any way, may actually help since the shooter will be much more aware of his surroundings!!

The anti hunting crowd is really pushing noise pollution from shooting as a problem on public lands, suppressors would really help us in this as well!!!!

BNG, thank you for your input. I tried to be as objective & polite as my persona would allow. It really is a win- win for hunters, I just can't understand how it can be construed any other way. maybe I'm missing something but I don't think so...

t

It could I suppose. We don't see much of that in most of Wyo. If a guy were to get up around Jackson :rolleyes: I could see possible benefits there.

t

15 years ago it would not happen around here either. Out taking care of some grateful farmer's woodchuck problems nowadays and someone who moved up from NYC area a mile away has there tranquility disturbed and all of a sudden the police are involved. No good for hunter or farmer. Just a hassle, no laws being broken, cops get stuck in the middle.

Suppressors are a win for recoil, a win for concussion, a win for noise. The only negative is weight, To ban there use for any otherwise lawful use is silly and pointless.

The only downside for me is the price. Now, I admit, I have only contacted one manufactuor here in ND. To supress my 300 WBY/338 Edge, I am looking at $800.00+ JUST for the suppressor. Another $200.00 or so for the Fed government and some more yet for my gunsmith.

For now I will stick with my hearing protectors and a break. :cool:

The only downside for me is the price. Now, I admit, I have only contacted one manufactuor here in ND. To supress my 300 WBY/338 Edge, I am looking at $800.00+ JUST for the suppressor. Another $200.00 or so for the Fed government and some more yet for my gunsmith.

For now I will stick with my hearing protectors and a break. :cool:

They are quite expensive, again eluding to the fact that even those who could (if allowed) use them probably wouldn't due to cost alone. A large Titanium can will run well over $1K, plus your stamp, 'smith fees & wait times.... They are a pretty serious investment.

I'm probably still going to buy one.... just a shame I can't even shoot a stinking prarie dog with it...

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.