Hunting with a suppressors (aka-silencer) question?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by R.C.Saul, Apr 15, 2012.

1. I would hunt with a suppressor if I legally could.

84 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. I would not hunt with a suppressor if it was legal.

9 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Suppressors are legal and I do hunt with one.

41 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. Suppressors are legal but I do not hunt with one.

21 vote(s)
    13.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. R.C.Saul

R.C.Saul Well-Known Member

If it was legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm in your state or country, would you? Lucky for me, it is now legal to hunt Texas and all its game animals suppressed! Woohoo!!! Score a major milestone in regaining are firearm freedoms!!!

Now I'll be able to shoot without hearing protection, there'll be less noise pollution to disturb my neighbors, no muzzle blast, and some recoil reduction so I can better spot my shots, and more shooting involvement for women and kids because its so much more user friendly. Don't forget the fact that they are freaking cool!

Call your senators and congressmen, they can make it happen where you are!!!

2. benopland

benopland Member

i purchased one last year. i wont hunt without one in nd.. its nice running thru a few hundred rounds at the range without ear plugs

3. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Arizona's governor signed House Bill 2728 on March 29, 2012 which lifted the ban on using suppressors for hunting.

My interest is in long range shooting ballistics, not hunting, so it has no direct effect on me. Carrying and shooting with a suppressor except at game was already legal. I have a Gemtech 308 suppressor and enjoy shooting with it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. tinman13kup

tinman13kup Well-Known Member

It is all dependent on what game we're talking about. Here in Ohio, deer may only be taken with bow, shotgun, handgun, or blackpowder, BUT, you can use a 50BMG for squirrel. Go figure. That leaves varmint, which in general I don't need muffs on anyways.

5. R.C.Saul

R.C.Saul Well-Known Member

Any and all game. I am going to cover the whole span of firearms. .22 to .416 Barrett. Because of the benefits along with the fact that they are cool and because I can.

6. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I would love to... (gives me an excuse for a supressor:rolleyes:)... alas, the great state of WY won't allow it... (Can't even shoot a prairie dog with it). That's ok, it's being worked on. :D

7. wkinderknecht

wkinderknecht Well-Known Member

Kansas is good to go. I'm working on several to cover the whole range of calibers.

8. c_bass16

c_bass16 Well-Known Member

As the saying goes..."Just because you don't need hearing protection, doesn't mean you shouldn't use it anyway." Especially for varmints where your shooting a LOT.

IMO, varmint hunting benefits from using a suppressor way more than big game or predator hunting actually does.
    I would strongly encourage you to reconsider and give it a whirl. Once you do, you'll never shoot without one. (unless of course the law prohibits it)

We hunt and shoot EVERYTHING suppressed and have been for about 5 years now. This was the family at one time. It's now much larger.

.416 WindTalker
    .308 KAC MK11 Mod 0
    .308 Gem-Tech HVT
    .308 SRT Shadow XL-Ti
    .308 YHM Phantom QD
    .308 YHM Phantom QD for .243WSSM
    .223 YHM Phantom QD
    9mm YHM Phantom QD
    9mm Gem-Tech TUNDRA
    .22lr Silencer Co SPARROW
    .22lr Gem-Tech Outback II

[​IMG]

9. vulpes vulpes

vulpes vulpes Member

All my hunting guns are fitted with moderators,in a small country like England this is a great advantage.

10. Time Killer

Time Killer Well-Known Member

Legal in new mexico?

11. cruizer

cruizer Well-Known Member

Legal in New Mexico. I killed my mule deer last year with. A 308 and a cyclone and killed my Oryx last month with a 30-06 ackley and a cyclone.

12. Time Killer

Time Killer Well-Known Member

Awesome news, Cruizer.
    I'll be headed out there in a few weeks for goats.
    Thanks!

13. cruizer

cruizer Well-Known Member

Good luck on your hunt. Hope it is succesful and most of all have fun!

14. texan79

texan79 Well-Known Member

Better start paper work to transport NFA items across state lines...