Suppressors

Yes. Well worth it. I like the direct thread over the quick attach muzzle devices for hunting, they are usually lighter and shorter. I got my 1st suppressor 11 years ago and now I own one for all of my hunting guns and most of my play guns.
Keep in mind the good ones are hearing safe but not movie quite unless you are shooting subsonic. I've killed lots of hogs with the subs but I shoot them in the head and keep it 100 yards and in.

I'd have one on everything I own if I could make time. I do mine on a form 1 and build them in my shop. It's not rocket science to build them it just takes up a lot of my time. One day I just need to file several at once and have the approvals done so I can build them at my leisure. Once I bought my first commercial can I wanted more. It's nice to shoot out back and not scare everything out of the country. The wife appreciates that she doesn't have to jump at unexpected explosions in the middle of the day. They are really thee best for hunting squirrels. You can shoot all day in a small wood lot and not scare them all off. My personal best is 11 red squirrels off a 5 acre area. No more bore holes under the eaves. Hogs will still take off for parts unknown when you use a suppressor but I notice that deer may initially run off but they don't go too far as long as the one you kill falls right away. I do a lot of cull hunts throughout the year and a can let's you take more than one out of an area at a time. When you have 100 to cull it's a lot easier than one at a time.

I got my first Oct 2019 and my wife used it to take her buck. With a 26" barrel and 10" Rebel Silencer, it was long...especially when we used it in a small box stand.

Even though Rebel recently went belly up I like the way they made so many adapters for them. I have adapters for all the U.S. thread cuts.

After she shot her buck I moved it to one of my 7.62x39 AR's that I built to be a night vision hog gun, with my can. But once I got my hands a ATN Day/Night scope it was on 24/7.

20200224_184852.jpg

I have found it does crazy things depending on which rifle you screw it on.

I only have one bolt gun that is threaded...no change...the AR above no change...but I have another 7.62x39 AR that shoots into the same hole at 100 yards...turn into a shotgun with the can!

Then I have a 6.5 Grendel with a M4 contour that POI moves low right about 10" at 100yards.

But they were quite! Especially my 300 BlackOut with my hand load subs...I wouldn't hunt with the subs, but it fun to play with...nearly movie quite! With supers it has a almost no POI change.

And like many here...I have another one in jail...WAITING!

So...HECK YEAH...they are worth it!

Well, I also had the same question as the op. Now I'll be off to spend some money sooner than later.
This post does prompt yet another question; I guess I'm not as educated as I need to be on this subject. I understand there are a few differences on how you choose to file:
- Individual
- Trusts (Single Shot or Traditional NFA)
- Corporation

Of the filing options provided, which is best & why? I'd like to be able to pass the rifles down via inheritance without having the risk of my children or family members having to "give them up."

Again, for those of you who already own and are beyond the headache phase...

I'm waiting on 2 at the moment so i'm hoping it is worth it. To be honest, if you use the kiosk, it isn't really a headache. I had my stuff done in 20 minutes. The second one, I just ordered online from silencer shop and they already used the info I had on file with the first one. The constantly checking of the status is more of an inconvenience than a headache. lol

For those of you shooting suppressed hunting is it worth the head ache of going through the paper work?
Yes! All shooting! Truly, range friendly. Mule deer single shot(345yds); other deer appeared confused but did not leave the area. For some, muzzle velocity calculations can become a bit more of a challenge(LabRadar, etc). Good luck.

If you find a dealer with the silencershop kiosk it is actually very easy, once and done. Problem is as other have stated, you just keep finding a need for more.

I am lucky, as here in New Zealand suppressors are totally legal.
We have about five manufacturers here. The DPT brand is a fantastic suppressor. Extremely quiet and weighs less than any of the other models made here. DPT export all over the world. They have another huge advantage of being screwed together in segments, which can be added to simply by screwing another segment on. I have a 270 wsm running very hot loads of 70.3 grains IMR7828SSC, no ear protection required . Recoil like a 223.
The majority of hunters here in nz use them . Also they add around 40 fps for velocity in my 270 wsm with a 24 inch barrell.

I went trust so the wife is on it. I bought a his and hers and we love them. I have one rifle not threaded for places I may need that and also its a 338-06 which my cans are 30 cal anyway.

I have went to shorter barrels but come ups are easy to overcome velocity loss. Either walk closer or dial. lol

If your are hand loading did you notice any speed changes either plus or minus I'm a speed and accuracy nut
I'm using data from my 26" barrel .308 for my 20" barrel .308 with a Specwar 762 suppressor on it. Accuracy has been great 1 5/8" 3 shot group at 415 yards. I use this gun for hunting so 3 rounds is my standard.
I have not put it through a chrony yet but I plan to do it when I get time.
I use a minute less elevation for the 20" with the suppressor than the 20" without the suppressor at 415 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.