HS PRECISION STOCK OFF 5R

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
HS Precision Stocks are Fine Lower to Mid Price range stocks. I own 3 on my Remington 700 Senderos I use for walking & sling guns. Far Superior to Wood when exposed to the Elements. No Swelling or Shifting of the Bedding. Thus they allow the rifle to remain Dependable Accurate in ALL weather conditions. In all my Bench and Extreme Long Range rifles I prefer the McMillen Anshutz Synthetic 3" wide stocks, but then with those, the $$$ goes way up! Sounds like you've made a smart, well thought out decision and in my opinion can't go wrong with the choice of HS PRECISION stock for a good, solid Budget Build. Theosmithjr

Someone may have already mentioned this, but you can buy brand new HS Precision stocks at Stocky's. They carry the Varmint, Sendero (same as whats on the 5R), and M24 (same as a Rem 700P). All for a little over $300-350 and you can pick which color (although I dont think they have the green/black that comes on the 5R)

mail

If you are shooting light recoil rifles the stocks mentioned are great but I bought a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with the aluminum bedding block that extends from the action to a few inches into the forearm for my 300 Weatherby and the recoil was near unbearable.
I had a severe headache after 3 shots.I put the old plastic stock back on and no problem after that.
I talked to Jim at Manners stocks and he told me they don't put that bedding block in the stock I want.
Yep it may run 500.00 but I just can't take that much recoil anymore.
I have shot African game guns that did not have the recoil that stock gave me.
With light kickers any stock will work but remember that ALL recoil is extended to the shooter with those bedding blocks made into the stock.
Just my 2 cents,Old Rooster

If you are shooting light recoil rifles the stocks mentioned are great but I bought a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with the aluminum bedding block that extends from the action to a few inches into the forearm for my 300 Weatherby and the recoil was near unbearable.
I had a severe headache after 3 shots.I put the old plastic stock back on and no problem after that.
I talked to Jim at Manners stocks and he told me they don't put that bedding block in the stock I want.
Yep it may run 500.00 but I just can't take that much recoil anymore.
I have shot African game guns that did not have the recoil that stock gave me.
With light kickers any stock will work but remember that ALL recoil is extended to the shooter with those bedding blocks made into the stock.
Just my 2 cents,Old Rooster
I think the geometry of the stock is what got you. Ultra light arms build very lightweight rifles that were somehow recoil friendly. The weight of the rifle will dictate how much recoil a given cartridge gives you, but the shape of the stock will decide just how your body receives that recoil. My .02

mjkten to a point that is true.
I tried 2 different make Bell & Carlson stocks and each shook the daylights out of me.Those folks are super easy to talk to and figure out problems.
I'm not real tall but stocky with wide shoulders and that made me a good football player and being able to shoot big African rifles.I used to work at Lion Country Safari in West Palm Beach and regularly shot 375 H&H,458 Win Mag,416 Taylor,416 Remington Mag and 460 Weatherby Mag so I know about stock pitch and drop at the comb making a difference as those were well made rifles with great stocks.
Jim at Manners stocks said that the stocks I have tried transmitted recoil while his stocks absorbs recoil.
I sure hope he is right as I don't make big money anymore being old and 500.00 is a lot for me but I love that rifle and want to be able to shoot it well.
Thanks for the reply and have a great day my friend.
Old Rooster

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
I built a rem 700 with a 5R barrel in .300 win mag. The HS Precision stocks work great as a hunting stock! I did see another post regarding the palm swell. With no gloves on it fits my xl paw just fine, but with a heavy glove on it's a bit much I think? I ended up wearing a heavy glove on my off hand and a lighter glove for my grip. Last year Magpul finally came out with a LA stock for the 700 platform. It may have been out longer, but I found it last year. The price is compareable to HS Precision. The bedding block runs down into the wrist and is rock solid. I've been out in 0degrees up into the 80's and have had no problem shooting cold bore during our late deer season. It does give that tactical look, but it's easy to sling or carry, LOP is set with spacers. Cheek height come in different heights. My only down side is that the cheek rest has to come off in order to remove the bolt (not that big a deal). Overall, it's in the same price range, and it might just do what your wanting to squeeze out of it on a beanfield shot? Both are great stocks, so it's a coin toss on which one fits you better. FYI, when I changed out to the 5R barrel, it made a world of difference! Great choice on your part. Lotsa Luck n Good Hunting.

I have several rifles with the HS Precision stocks and a couple of them were from the Remington LE PSS line and I got better accuracy when I had them skim bedded on top of the aluminum bedding blocks. No more shifting or torque sensitivity.

It's hard to beat an HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding blocks or a B&C that has the aluminum bedding blocks. I see absolutely no reason to go with a chassis type stock when the action only comes in contact with the aluminum bedding block or for that matter with the skim bedding on top of the aluminum.

I agree that they don't carry well but I overlook that when accuracy is paramount. For hunting rifles I've always loved the old McMillian "Kevlar" stocks that basically were fiberglass with Kevlar stringers. They still shoot very well but when extreme accuracy is my goal give me an HS every time.

I am not a fan of the big palm swell either but it still works fine for me.

If you hunt alot of extreme cold the bedding block stocks can screw with the torque on the action due to having a different amount of movement than the steel of the action. I've had a few issues around 4F and colder on precision guns. For 197 you can get a boyds at one or the prairie varmint with adjustable cheek piece. This is an A5 copy in laminate. They also came out with the at one thumbhole ( I got an email about it recently) for about the same 200ish price. The adjustability is something that is a wonder why you didn't do it before item.
I like thumbholes so the at one will be the stock on my 300 build. I might even get one for the lighter 270 howa if the weight isn't much over 2#
Are you sure your issues are due to the differences in temperature expansion between steel receiver and the aluminum chassis. At low temperature, effects due to powder/ignition would be much more likely. The expansion difference between steel and aluminum is about .001" across a 145F temperature range. If torqued to 60# at 50-70F, POI differences due to bedding stability would likely be nil.

Back in the late '90s HS Precision stocks were state-of-the-art with their moulded-in aluminum bedding block. HS Precision is now merely "OK" as others make similar stocks that are at least as good if not better.

I have seen an HS Precision M24 style stock in which the bedding block was moulded in the stock off center! Not good.

Eric B.

Stockmakers names mean little to me it's all about the materials used and how well they are put together. Suggest an all unidirectional carbon without timber or metal inclusions. Solid sections like posts or even the whole area under the action is carbon and epoxy all molded together at the same time the stock is curing. Avoid add on's as epoxy resin does not bond well onto cured resin. Do paint the stock a light colour as carbon absorbes a lot of heat from the sun and has poor abrasion resistance. Screws won't creep in the above construction and point of impact will not move through all weather.
Unfortunately it comes at a price as the materials alone would set you back about $350

Are you sure your issues are due to the differences in temperature expansion between steel receiver and the aluminum chassis. At low temperature, effects due to powder/ignition would be much more likely. The expansion difference between steel and aluminum is about .001" across a 145F temperature range. If torqued to 60# at 50-70F, POI differences due to bedding stability would likely be nil.
I have a load map for every rifle I load for. I have the lot# and the amount of change to keep it in the sweet spot for when I'm going to shoot temp wise. I have been shooting most of the rifles I own for a very long time. The ones that are newer get all kinds of love when the weather is different from what I have dope for. I can tell you this. I had the gun apart to coat the action. I put it back together and went to a shoot. The week before I had a clean run on the same range in 20's temps. I shot the egg shoot and didn't do well. I know it was torqued to 55 in/#'s. I checked my rings when the rifle wouldn't hold zero. They were correct. When I checked the action screws they were at well below the 55 I had set them to. After doing some research and making some calls this is what I was told. It fit with what I saw. I torque my screws at 5in/# intervals in every application. base, ring and action. I do it this way because it is always going to be correct when I'm done. I recheck them at the proper setting every time i get home since this happened. I've had to re torque rings with the burris inserts as well as the tally rings in the same conditions. Obviously the plastic in the burris rings explains this, however the tally rings being all aluminum should not change yet they do. I'm running 25 vs the 17 they recommend for torque and have not had an issue since. But Even today it was not below 8 so cold but not stupid cold.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.