HS PRECISION STOCK OFF 5R

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
I have the same set up as you do and don't care for that palm swell. After careful consideration I came to the conclusion that maybe a stock by any manufacturer wasn't the answer but rather a chassis was. There is a chassis that was recently introduced for 399.00 Sa or La an it is awesome. I can't recall the manufacturer but I sure you can Google it. It's a drop in with no gunsmithing necessary. If your looking for percise accuracy it's the way to go.

I have the same set up as you do and don't care for that palm swell. After careful consideration I came to the conclusion that maybe a stock by any manufacturer wasn't the answer but rather a chassis was. There is a chassis that was recently introduced for 399.00 Sa or La an it is awesome. I can't recall the manufacturer but I sure you can Google it. It's a drop in with no gunsmithing necessary. If your looking for percise accuracy it's the way to go.

It's either KRG or MDT. Those are the only two off the top of my head that have chassis at those prices.

20180915_173758_Film2.jpg

High end stocks with propped pillers and bedding can produce the same results. There just turn key.

I didn't read all these but this what i think...

I have hs stock and a b&c stock. I like both a lot but i liked them more after i bedded the action. After i tested this out on the b&c it helped out with consistency quite a bit. I bedded my hs pretty soon right after that.

Next choice of stock is a bravo chassis from krg. These bravo chassis do just as good as there high end chassis. I got one of these for my daughter and she liked it more than a regular stock. I bought a used Rem 700 barreled action action chamber in 6.5 creedmoor. It had a 22" kreiger barrel on it. I got it for 700$ with around 200 and some shoots through it.

If you have any questions feel to ask or message me.

I was struggling ad thought my load wasn't up to it in the cold. I checked my action screws just on a hunch and they were at about 15 in/# instead of 55.... .... I have stopped using Aluminum pilars and now use steel for the same reason. I know in my mind it helps but I cannot say I've seen it happen with pilars.

There are some odd things with your observations. Aluminium has a higher expansion rate than steel, 12 or 13 X 10-6 vs 6 or 7 in/in/degF. That's less than a tenth of a thou difference even at wild temperature swings.

I think the difference is mostly in the Pseudo V-Block design of the HS bedding block, not the material differences.

It could also be that ANY metal block (including steel pillars) will have that torque loss effect simply because the bedding is not compressed as the screws are torqued down. That's the main benefit of blocks and pillars. In other words it's the screws that are causing the loss aggregated by the V-Block design (which does compress a bit like a spring), not the clamped material.

But for the record, I make all my own pillars out of stainless steel too.

Good stuff. Lots to think about.

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
I have the 5r 300 win mag. It Is a full blown HS precision stock with an aluminum bedding block it weighs about 2 pounds. I found no reason to change it. It is a $350 stock

There are some odd things with your observations. Aluminium has a higher expansion rate than steel, 12 or 13 X 10-6 vs 6 or 7 in/in/degF. That's less than a tenth of a thou difference even at wild temperature swings.

I think the difference is mostly in the Pseudo V-Block design of the HS bedding block, not the material differences.

It could also be that ANY metal block (including steel pillars) will have that torque loss effect simply because the bedding is not compressed as the screws are torqued down. That's the main benefit of blocks and pillars. In other words it's the screws that are causing the loss aggregated by the V-Block design (which does compress a bit like a spring), not the clamped material.

But for the record, I make all my own pillars out of stainless steel too.

Good stuff. Lots to think about.
It was on a winchester action not a round action

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.