HS PRECISION STOCK OFF 5R

55stone

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!

Good morning guys, i was wondering if the HS Precision stocks that come on a 5R are any good. im building a 7mm RM and need a stock still, im going to be a lower end stock on it for now as its better than the plastic one. Im debating between the HS take off or a stockys stock. Thanks for any input!!
Yes, they're the same as any other HS Precision stock, just green. I have 3 of them...2 LA, 1 SA. Thinking about selling them, as I don't like the palmswell on them.

If you hunt alot of extreme cold the bedding block stocks can screw with the torque on the action due to having a different amount of movement than the steel of the action. I've had a few issues around 4F and colder on precision guns. For 197 you can get a boyds at one or the prairie varmint with adjustable cheek piece. This is an A5 copy in laminate. They also came out with the at one thumbhole ( I got an email about it recently) for about the same 200ish price. The adjustability is something that is a wonder why you didn't do it before item.
I like thumbholes so the at one will be the stock on my 300 build. I might even get one for the lighter 270 howa if the weight isn't much over 2#

Yes, they're the same as any other HS Precision stock, just green. I have 3 of them...2 LA, 1 SA. Thinking about selling them, as I don't like the palmswell on them.

By green do you mean color? The one I would want is off a gen 2 that is tan with black webbing..

If you hunt alot of extreme cold the bedding block stocks can screw with the torque on the action due to having a different amount of movement than the steel of the action. I've had a few issues around 4F and colder on precision guns. For 197 you can get a boyds at one or the prairie varmint with adjustable cheek piece. This is an A5 copy in laminate. They also came out with the at one thumbhole ( I got an email about it recently) for about the same 200ish price. The adjustability is something that is a wonder why you didn't do it before item.
I like thumbholes so the at one will be the stock on my 300 build. I might even get one for the lighter 270 howa if the weight isn't much over 2#

Your talking about the full length metal bedding block like in the stocky stocks? And your saying the blocks shrink at a different rate than the action causing inaccuracy? That is some serious stuff!! What kind of accuracy difference have you seen?

Yeah, the Gen 1 stocks are all dark green with black webbing color. It's so dark, it's almost grayish-greenish-black... It's a strange color, but it doesn't look bad.

Got yeah. So how do you like them? Would you rather have one of the HS of a R5 or a stocky's they are about the same price. I have no experience with stockys I have a HS on a savage model 10 and like it!

I have one of these on my gen 1 308... I like the color and the palm swell.... I would think for under $250 it would be hard to beat....Dave

Got yeah. So how do you like them? Would you rather have one of the HS of a R5 or a stocky's they are about the same price. I have no experience with stockys I have a HS on a savage model 10 and like it!
I don't know what an R5 is, but I can tell you this... I love the old HS Precision stocks, back when they didn't have a palmswell. I have several and prefer them over the newer ones with a palmswell. They are the same exact stocks, just one has a massive palmswell, and it doesn't feel right in my hand, because years ago I had surgery on my right hand, and still have metal plates fusing bones together, so my hand doesn't flex and bend normal, so finding a comfortable grip with the palmswell is very difficult for me. It's a personal preference. You might like them.

I don't know what an R5 is, but I can tell you this... I love the old HS Precision stocks, back when they didn't have a palmswell. I have several and prefer them over the newer ones with a palmswell. They are the same exact stocks, just one has a massive palmswell, and it doesn't feel right in my hand, because years ago I had surgery on my right hand, and still have metal plates fusing bones together, so my hand doesn't flex and bend normal, so finding a comfortable grip with the palmswell is very difficult for me. It's a personal preference. You might like them.[/QUOTE

I meant 5-R, sorry about that. lol.. thank you for the info!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts