How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

Nice shot, nice pigs. I use a bigger caliber because where we hunt we use a old Army Jeep to cover more area. The pigs there travel alot and you'll see them one night and then maybe not again in that spot for a couple of weeks. So staying in a stand or blind is usually worthless. Only the smart pigs survive, the rest are in the freezer. But then you're taking moving or running shots, so that sweet spot behind the ear is gone. I have had faster drops with the AK round that even a .308 I guess big and slow expends all the energy, instead of passing thru.
Actually the larger of the two in the picture above was shot free hand with me standing in the middle of a wheat field. The smaller took one shot behind and below the ear.

The larger took one behind to the heart on the run, and was anchored with a second behind and bellow the ear.

Nice work!Is that a CZ? I shoot a CZ 527 American for the close work. By the way, the vehicle license and the landscape look like south Texas. I spent 5 years in Carrizo Springs.
Yes it is, with the single set trigger. **** that trigger is sexy!

I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.

Yes it is, with the single set trigger. **** that trigger is sexy!

I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.

OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.

OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.
Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.

Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.

Are you allowed, by chance, to say who the other person from here in Ardmore is? Just curious if I know them.

I grew up hunting off a boat on the Ocmulgee river in Georgia for hogs. We used to just drift down with the current early in the morning and pop them with a .22 behind the ear or behind and below the shoulder. The biggest Hog I've ever killed with a .22 was about 210 lbs and was shot behind and slightly below the left ear while slightly quartering away.

The biggest hog I've ever shot was right around 500 lbs. My uncle was about 1/3 of a mile away and I heard his 30-06 go off. About 2 minutes later this huge boar comes stumbling through the bush leaking like sieve from a gut shot. I took him directly through the ear with a .308 and he stayed put. My uncle had a misfire and the boar took off when he heard the click of the firing pin. He managed to catch him in the belly right below his right lung with a through and through shot. If he'd run a different direction I'm not sure we'd have taken him home that day.

We had to field dress him where he was and it took 2 ATV's to pull him the 1/2 mile back to the truck.

It's all about shot placement, I've downed hundreds of Hogs with a .22 but it was at less than 65 yards and almost all were well placed shots.

I prefer to take smaller 80-140 lb. hogs because they tend to taste better, the 500 lb. hog was pretty much rancid.

I grew up hunting off a boat on the Ocmulgee river in Georgia for hogs. We used to just drift down with the current early in the morning and pop them with a .22 behind the ear or behind and below the shoulder. The biggest Hog I've ever killed with a .22 was about 210 lbs and was shot behind and slightly below the left ear while slightly quartering away.

The biggest hog I've ever shot was right around 500 lbs. My uncle was about 1/3 of a mile away and I heard his 30-06 go off. About 2 minutes later this huge boar comes stumbling through the bush leaking like sieve from a gut shot. I took him directly through the ear with a .308 and he stayed put. My uncle had a misfire and the boar took off when he heard the click of the firing pin. He managed to catch him in the belly right below his right lung with a through and through shot. If he'd run a different direction I'm not sure we'd have taken him home that day.

We had to field dress him where he was and it took 2 ATV's to pull him the 1/2 mile back to the truck.

It's all about shot placement, I've downed hundreds of Hogs with a .22 but it was at less than 65 yards and almost all were well placed shots.

I prefer to take smaller 80-140 lb. hogs because they tend to taste better, the 500 lb. hog was pretty much rancid.
He was rancid since he ran so far and was gut shot.

Drop a big hog DRT and get them cut up and cooled down fast and they eat great.

I was a range rider for Lykes Brothers years ago and we had to dispatch at least 200 of them a year. Many of these were with a 22 LR pistol with an ear hole shot. Never had one get away. However, this is far from ideal for some one that pays for a hunt or the ocasional hunter for them. I have found that any reasonable rifle for deer with the proper weight or constructed bullet will work wonderful on a hog under 300 lbs. This includes the 30-30, 308 and up, 270 , 7-08 and up, 44 mag and up ( 357 will work if careful). They are tough but not bullet proof. More attention should be taken as to placement and bullet construction. Hope this helps.

I've killed close to 300 hogs. More than half of them were taken by .223 from a mini 14, many from a 25-06, and they seem to drop no matter where a 300wsm hits em'. It's been my experience that they drop a little easier than a deer, even those nearing 300lbs. As far as the 22-250 goes, I know a guy that killed a nilgai at over 300 yards with one and I know its plenty for a hog.

I've shot hogs apretty good bit,A few hundred I'd say using alot of different rounds from 22Mag ,223,243 ,25-06,270win,308,300mag, 357mag,45acp,454.

Thats just a few,TOO tell you the truth,The Very best way to kill hogs is with Good hits. Shot placement is where its at.Yes they're tuff but they aint bullet proof.gun)

Human kill something that carries a 1000 foot pounds of energy at the distance you are shooting a 100 yards or to 500 yards. Sad to let an animal suffer any kind of animal.......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.