Hogs Take over Texas

You boys from Tejas can call me all the bad names you can think of if you want to but the way I see it the whole state brought this problem on themselves. If the landowners weren't so **** greedy there would be plenty of people that would help shoot hogs. I can't feel sorry for somebody complaining about hogs taking over their property when they want to charge somebody $200 a head to shoot the stupid things. I realize that not everybody is like that but for the most part that's the facts of life in Texas. Either you pay or you don't play. Bring on the insults and the bashing guys but you all know facts are facts!

What you all need down in TX is to have a wolf re-introduction. It has been very successful here in MT, we are rapidly running out of game. I'm sure that they will kill hogs as well, heck they even kill bears here. Best of all the city folks can go out in the country and have a chance of hearing a wolf howl. How great would that be? Be sides I am fairly sure that at one time there was native wolves in TX that were eliminated by people. That simply is not right, and is bad for the natural ecosystem. Bringing back the wolf would be better for the natural ecosystem, and heck, when the wolf numbers reach target populations it will be another hunting opportunity for the sportsman. Don't worry about your livestock, because if a wolf kills livestock a government worker will come out and pay for the loss. After you prove the wolf killed it of course, we can't have ranchers taking advantage of the program you know. And we all know that they only eat the weak, sick and overpopulated game animals.

So as I see it you all can solve all your problems and have a healthier state by just bringing back the wolf. They are just misunderstood.

Steve

What you all need down in TX is to have a wolf re-introduction. It has been very successful here in MT, we are rapidly running out of game. I'm sure that they will kill hogs as well, heck they even kill bears here. Best of all the city folks can go out in the country and have a chance of hearing a wolf howl. How great would that be? Be sides I am fairly sure that at one time there was native wolves in TX that were eliminated by people. That simply is not right, and is bad for the natural ecosystem. Bringing back the wolf would be better for the natural ecosystem, and heck, when the wolf numbers reach target populations it will be another hunting opportunity for the sportsman. Don't worry about your livestock, because if a wolf kills livestock a government worker will come out and pay for the loss. After you prove the wolf killed it of course, we can't have ranchers taking advantage of the program you know. And we all know that they only eat the weak, sick and overpopulated game animals.

So as I see it you all can solve all your problems and have a healthier state by just bringing back the wolf. They are just misunderstood.

Steve
Lol! I love it Steve!! I'll bet wolves would take care of alot of the hog issues they're having! Like you said tho the cattle ranchers would play the devil with em. And you're right the Red Wolf is native to Texas, and most of the rest of the south. The bunny huggers were actually trying to get them reintroduced here in Arkansas several years ago but luckily somebody with a brain put a stop to it.

maybe we all need to take a trip to texas for a hog jamboree.as long as its 4 legged hogs yall gotta lot of thems 2 legged ones to.is there any hogs around mccallen or pharr?or on the border?:D

I am a native Texan and have visited some fantastic places in other parts of the country, but I'm always glad to get back home. Cheap or free hog hunts are hard to find, most of the large ranches view it as off season hunting. Some bad hunters have screwed it up for the rest of us. But if anybody needs help with their hog problem , I was certified as a NRA Safety and Marksmanship instructor in 1978 and will treat any property that I hunt on better than my own. If a landowner wants to hunt them I would gladly take them on a safe guided hunt on their property and they could take their choice of firearms from an arsenal and all gear would be provided for the chance to hunt on their property.I have night vision and IR illuminators if they want to hunt at night. I live in the Georgetown / Austin area, if anybody in a 2 hour or so radius is interested send me a pm. Happy Hunting, ken

In New York we don't have hogs ,but I did shoot a large Russian boar at a preserve , are these 2 animals the same ,as it was very good to eat ,in fact I am the only one that eats venison in my family , and they loved the boar ,Does this make good table fair ,

Table fare? Depends on the animal, If they smell rank better not even try to eat it. If there is only pork scent in the meat, cook a small piece and taste it before you do a lot of skinning, etc.

In my area they have all been good to eat from small to large regardless of sex. Bores tend to rank the worst in the taste department.

Several ranch hands that I know that almost feed their family completely on hogs, will only take hind quarters and bacx straps on the big boars, and the ones that are marginal ( over 150 lbs ) they will dress them out and wash them real good and put in a large offshore icechest and put it in the back of their ranch truck on ice. They drain off the blood and water and top back off the ice every night. They do this for 3-days then cut up and wrap and freeze. The ice and water almost act like an aggitator in a washing machine while it's bouncing around in the back of their truck. For what ever reason this really takes the gamey taste out. Happy Hunting, 338ken

You boys from Tejas can call me all the bad names you can think of if you want to but the way I see it the whole state brought this problem on themselves. If the landowners weren't so **** greedy there would be plenty of people that would help shoot hogs. I can't feel sorry for somebody complaining about hogs taking over their property when they want to charge somebody $200 a head to shoot the stupid things. I realize that not everybody is like that but for the most part that's the facts of life in Texas. Either you pay or you don't play. Bring on the insults and the bashing guys but you all know facts are facts!

I won't bash you (That's not my style) I will just tell you that soon you will be overrun
with hogs because no matter how hard you hunt them they can over populate in just a few
short years.

Hogs have 2 to 3 litters of 10 to 20 pigs a year and after 6 Months they become breeders.

On my deer lease we had no hogs 5 years ago and now it is not unusual for us to kill 10 to 15
a year by each hunter. We have a rule that if we see a hog we shoot it whether it's a eating
pig or not and they are growing in numbers in spite of this.

They are very sharp and as hunting pressure increases they go more and more nocturnal.

You will have to contend with them soon enough and will have the same problem as we do.

I have lived in Arkansas and the terrain is perfect for hogs to overpopulate so hang on.

J E CUSTOM

Sounds like they brought the problem on them selves. Where I was at other farmers would stop in just to see if we had time to shoot a bunch on there farms.

I won't bash you (That's not my style) I will just tell you that soon you will be overrun
with hogs because no matter how hard you hunt them they can over populate in just a few
short years.

Hogs have 2 to 3 litters of 10 to 20 pigs a year and after 6 Months they become breeders.

On my deer lease we had no hogs 5 years ago and now it is not unusual for us to kill 10 to 15
a year by each hunter. We have a rule that if we see a hog we shoot it whether it's a eating
pig or not and they are growing in numbers in spite of this.

They are very sharp and as hunting pressure increases they go more and more nocturnal.

You will have to contend with them soon enough and will have the same problem as we do.

I have lived in Arkansas and the terrain is perfect for hogs to overpopulate so hang on.

J E CUSTOM

Excellent post JE!

You have to kill 80% of the hogs per year just to hold the population at a constant level. We use helicopters and we have yet to achieve that level of success.

If it's our fault we have them then some of you experts can come hunting on my places for a year free and show me how easy it is to eradicate them but if I shoot a hog at any time during the same year on any of my 9 places (4750 acres) you can pay me $100/day. Over the last month after the helicopter had been here I've shot over 40 and I DO NOT HUNT them. I'm just an opportunist!

Any takers???

If the State DNR wants to reduce the Hog problem it can be done, but there are to many farmers who bitch about the Hogs, but oh no we cant let you hunt on our farms. Just make a big drive to roust them from hiding and run them into a pen and kill every one. If they were to set up a trap that is 300ft square with doors for them to enter but they cant escape this would help a lot.
But you need the cooperation from many farmers. There are to many farmers who bring this problen on them selves.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.