Hogs Take over Texas

I was really bummed this past deer season. The bow hunters stuck a lot of hogs on our lease during bow season and they went nocturnal before rifle season opened. Didn't see one during hunting hours the entire deer season, Nov through Jan 5. They only came out at night and hid in the deep woods during the day.

Man, if I lived down there and had places to shoot them I'd be out as much as I could. I would do the same as some of the deer up here, either find a family that could use the meat, or see if there was any organization that would take the carcass (Hunters Feeding the Hungry, etc.)

When I lived in Southern Ca. and came back from some of the long range fishing trips on the ocean the Mormon Church would take any excess fish (in the round) and give you a reciept that equalled the market price of the fish. They would process them for the needy. Both parties were a winner. Tax write-off and food for someone that needs it to boot.

Man, if I lived down there and had places to shoot them I'd be out as much as I could. I would do the same as some of the deer up here, either find a family that could use the meat, or see if there was any organization that would take the carcass (Hunters Feeding the Hungry, etc.)

When I lived in Southern Ca. and came back from some of the long range fishing trips on the ocean the Mormon Church would take any excess fish (in the round) and give you a reciept that equalled the market price of the fish. They would process them for the needy. Both parties were a winner. Tax write-off and food for someone that needs it to boot.

We try to do the same thing here in Texas but like everything else that the politicians and
tree huggers get involved in they screwed the Feed the poor program up because "Wild animals"
are not safe to eat .

So we just kill what we want to eat and leave the rest for the scavengers.

We normaly kill 8 to 10 per hunter during dear season and about the same the rest of the year
and they just keep multiplying.

A lot of people think that if they shoot a hog that it will ruin there dear hunt, Just the opposite,
because as long as the hogs are arround dear will not come to your hunting area.

I have killed hogs and not moved from my stand/hide and in a few minutes dear would appear
and actualy go up to the dead pig and look at him and walk off unafraid.

So we kill everyone we see.

They are fun to shoot and a timed feeder works the best because when they hear it go off they
can't wait ( That why they are called hogs ).

J E CUSTOM

Well I will offer my limited hunting skills to anyone who need help in some hog erradication.. I have plenty of time and bullets. Feel free to drop me a line.

Don't hold you breath, Kingrabbit.

One thing ya gotta know, for all their talk about the hog plague, Texans don't cotton to outsiders (or even neighbors) coming on their property to shoot hogs.

...and that's the plain truth.

One thing ya gotta know, for all their talk about the hog plague, Texans don't cotton to outsiders (or even neighbors) coming on their property to shoot hogs.

Since they make some (or a lot) of their money for the year through hunting leases and day hunts, that's understandable...

On this one I have to respond !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all Texans are some of the most frendly people in the world !!!!

When driving down the road and you meet another car/truck comming your
way 90% of the time they will wave even though they dont know you.

In california ( The land of fruits and nuts ) don't even think about waveing
at anyone or you will ether be mugged,cursed,or sexually assalted.

If your car breaks down in texas someone will stop and help you .

In california if you break down call the police fast and hope they find you because
NO One will ever stop unless it's to do the aforementioned things to you.

As far as the land owners go it is commond courtesy to ask for permision to
go on anyones land no matter what state your in. most of Texas land is leased
by hunters for year round hunting and the land owners cannot allow anyone
on his land unless he has the approvel of the lease holders.

Land owners have to protect them selves from law suits so most hunters sign a
hold harmless contract.

I have worked in California many years and I met some realy nice people but the
percentage is very small compaired to Texas and most other states.

I don't believe in dishing other states but I do resent others talking about Texas when
they don't have a clue about it.

And by the way I have invited many hunters on my lease but I don't think you have
to worry about a " Free " hunt any time soon, But there are high fenced hunts for
your type if you have money and no frends.

We also take young under privileged hunters on special youth hunts each year and
these land owners support us .

Well I have said enough but as the signs says "DON"T MESS WITH TEXAS"

J E CUSTOM

I agree I have run into nothing but kind folks since moving to Texas. I really love this state.

Now how does one go about getting a lease? Any place in particular I need to look?

Had a great weekend.. Went out with Long450, not only was I happy just to be invited along ,but they also put me on the blind with the most hog evidence. Food and drink was all supplied. I have to admit I was very taken back by all this kindness. Even though I didn't get any shots off, hogs were moving around in the late night, I still had a great time. I thank him kindly for taking me along.

Also Long450 i am picking up a night vision scope this week to handle those late night mover if you are interested. Next project to get will be a can for my .223... :):):)

On this one I have to respond !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe in dishing other states but I do resent others talking about Texas when
they don't have a clue about it.

Well I have said enough but as the signs says "DON"T MESS WITH TEXAS"

J E CUSTOM
J E, I have ties to Texas, so "I do have a clue!"

I'm not dissing Texas, I'm just pointing out that despite all the hoo-rah about the destructive hog overpopulation, Texans are not eager to have people hunting hogs on their land.

You're right, California sucks...except you can play golf in January. :)

BTW, the Navy sent me here.

Kingrabbit, glad you came along and had a good time. I would have lost a good sum of money, if I had bet, because I was certain you would get and oppurtunity in stand # 3 to tag a pig or two. I see your note about the night vision and that might do the trick. Send me and email and tell again when you leave. We may can go back out and give it another shot. Its a full moon this week and the land owner would like some of those pigs gone.

Oh, BTW next time you get to cook the steaks! Ken

Last edited:
haha brother you take me again and I will cook what ever you guys need.. And again thanks for the hunt and putting me at the best spot possible.. l had a great time and looking foward to another run at em.. Maybe a lil bit of stalking next time.?? I will be flying out on the 16th back to the sand.. I will be back in April for another 30 day leave. Look foward to seeing you guys again.. Stay safe vro and send some pics of anything you guys get..

Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.